Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

sanblas
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

hi all,
I'm looking for a photoshop script that will save the current image in the current folder, close it and load the next image in a series. Does anyone know of anything like this?

I know MikeD's autoloader does this, but its $75 which seems a bit steep for this
I know Fundy batch image does this but its over $100
and Previously I've used AH next image - http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=290
but that doesn't work on newer photoshop versions

Just wondering if anyone know of any cheaper alternatives

thanks

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:20 PM
mshi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

sanblas wrote:
hi all,
I'm looking for a photoshop script that will save the current image in the current folder, close it and load the next image in a series. Does anyone know of anything like this?

Just wondering if anyone know of any cheaper alternatives

thanks

Save your money. Any version of Photoshop allows you to create your own free Action that opens, saves and closes files. Now go to File-->Automate-->Batch, to specify the location of files, destination folder and the action. You want to pay me $39.99 to create one for you?

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:57 PM
sanblas
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

right I understand that, but what I'm looking for, and what is priceless when you have hundreds of files to go through is a script that will save in the same folder at a certain quality/close/and then open the next image of a sequence with a single click/keyboard shortcut

For event photographers it can really save a LOT of time and effort especially when mapped to a key on a customizable input device (game tablet)

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:00 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

sanblas wrote:
right I understand that, but what I'm looking for, and what is priceless when you have hundreds of files to go through is a script that will save in the same folder at a certain quality/close/and then open the next image of a sequence with a single click/keyboard shortcut

For event photographers it can really save a LOT of time and effort especially when mapped to a key on a customizable input device (game tablet)

You must be a Photoshop newbie then. First, you create an action that opens, saves and closes one file. Now you do the batch processing by telling Photoshop the folder that those source files you want to process, and the destination folder for those files to be saved by using that action you just created. Photoshop will go to that source folder to process each image file (opens/saves/closes) at the time. Now, I am offering $35.99.

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:07 PM
rffffffff
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

I think I understand why you're having trouble. It's not *that* simple. I'll see if I can write one, it'll be a little challenge to learn the scripting language, and it'll be free if I can get it done. I can see why it would be useful.

there is a workaround, where you create an action to open, pause, save, close, then batch the whole set, edit while paused and then continue I think... I'll work on that first.

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:13 PM
sanblas
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

Most definitely not a photoshop newbie that came off as a bit offensive but I'm assuming you didn't mean it that way.

but what you're describing would be running an action within image processor correct?
What I want is to not have to run a batch as I need to edit each photo individually.

I've had it set up in the past with CS3 where I had the AH next image script working and mapped to a keyboard shortcut that I macro'd to my nostromo game pad

so essentially open first file in folder(named sequentially) edit, press button and file is saved, closed and next image is opened. Unfortunately the script is not working in cs6.

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:18 PM
sanblas
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

I've tried the pause thing before and it was a bit wonky...essentially I don't trust it, but that was with cs3

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:19 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

Here I just created an action called Increase Contrast 1 from Action Panel.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8126/8637346859_046a687e3d_b.jpg

Now I go to do the batch processing. If you don't specify the destination folder, photoshop has default save and close option for each file.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8260/8638452490_2b1e4b8f73_b.jpg

If you want to save to another folder, then

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8405/8638452148_3f5a6107f8_b.jpg

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:21 PM
sanblas
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

Right, I understand how to use image processor, but thats not what I'm looking for...please read my response a post or two back.
I don't want to batch a whole folder I want to go one image at a time while not being inside a batch process

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mshi
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

If you want to babysit each image, just create an action and assign a hot key to it. By keeping invoking the action, you can step thru doing edit and it saves. If that's what you want to do, LR will save you lots of time then.

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:28 PM
sanblas
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

ok again I'm really not a newbie...I'm a professional wedding photographer and I teach high school photography and photoshop. I do actually (kind of) know what I'm doing and know what Lightroom does as I use it on a daily basis.

my workflow from a wedding - import a few thousand photos into lightroom (keep meaning to use photo mechanic first but haven't switched over yet)
sort in(rather than sort out) in lightroom -rename in sequence- then make adjustments to finished image within lightroom

HOWEVER there are usually quite a few images that I need to edit in PS - less than in the past as lightroom has gotten better but still some. Mostly skin retouching, more intricate black/white conversion or removing something with better cloning tools than LR has (lots of bird poop or my camera bag that I forgot to get out of the frame...). I normally color code these and then export to an 'edits' folder

What I then want is to be able to go through photo by photo in this edits folder using a one click method to save/close(in the same folder at a specified quality #/open next in sequence. As far as I know (but I am not a programmer so I could be wrong) an action alone won't do this because the 'next in sequnce' part is tricky. My understanding is it needs to be script based...but I could be wrong.

there is a reason why people will pay $75 for something like this, granted the mikeD script has more bells and whistles and a GUI

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:37 PM
rffffffff
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

That really is the whole thing... its all easy except the get next image thing... the AH next image thing is where I will start, I'll try to edit that so that it works in modern photoshop... I will have some time this week, I'll likely figure it out.

also, the stop command in a batch screws the batch up, so my workaround idea doesnt work.

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:29 PM
sanblas
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

First, thanks...greatly appreciated.

and yeah I think I had that problem with the stop/pause when I tried it in the past...it stops everything so not really feasible to just stop - edit photo using other actions - and then continue

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:34 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

sanblas wrote:
What I then want is to be able to go through photo by photo in this edits folder using a one click method to save/close(in the same folder at a specified quality #/open next in sequence. As far as I know (but I am not a programmer so I could be wrong) an action alone won't do this because the 'next in sequnce' part is tricky. My understanding is it needs to be script based...but I could be wrong.

there is a reason why people will pay $75 for something like this, granted the mikeD script has more bells and whistles
...Show more

So you're a pro not a newbie, who just seems not understanding that you can easily insert stop or other options in any Photoshop actions? Really? Impressive.

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:36 PM
sanblas
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

rffffffff - thanks for the input and help greatly appreciated

mshi - please feel free to stop responding...you're not helping and you're being an ass

this is usually a very helpful reasonable forum, at least thats been my experience in the past

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

http://www.scriptsrus.talktalk.net/PP.htm Paul Riggott's Picture Processor can save to the same folder and can filter input file types or process all image types. More then one button operation though you need fill in its dialog.

Apr 11, 2013 at 03:49 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · photoshop script to save/close/load next image?

Sanblas:
The problem as I see it is that even though the files appear sequentially in the folder, in the file structure they are not necessarily so. Somewhere in my dusty assembly language programs I have a program that locates all files in a folder and then puts them sequentially in a list structure that can then be read by either an assembly or K&R "C" language program. These programs are over 20 years old and would do just what you wish. BUT MS has discontinued MASM and K&R "C" updates that run on Windows 7. A current programmer that still knows how to access a folder at the native level could probably program an interface to an Adobe script for you. Lots of luck finding one! That's probably why the programs available are not inexpensive.
As for Mshi just disregard him.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:45 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password