Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

TSpyers
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

This is my first post here as I have recently decided to solicit some C&C on my sports pics. I've been shooting sports for about 3 years now, working on my craft and reading various posts here that have helped a bunch. I am looking to take my shooting to the next level so I thought posting the pics here and getting some professional feedback would be the logical starting place. Thanks for the help!

3.1 (re-crop per Russ' suggestion).

Edited on Apr 11, 2013 at 02:32 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

Of the images posted here, I view #6 as your strongest (nice 'movement' and action, good framing), followed by #4 (intensity of the eyes) and #1, which is the photo you've posted here. The others don't do much for me, either because nothing is happening (2, 8, 10) or you just don't have the best angle on the action. (#3 offers decent linemen action, but I'd crop away the space on both sides that isn't adding anything to the frame; 9 has potential but you've cut off the bat. You'd be better off shooting this horizontally.)

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:22 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #3 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

Russ -- Thanks for taking time to review and comment, it is greatly appreciated. Based on your suggestion of a re-crop on #3, I have done that quickly and have re-posted above. Thanks again!

Edited on Apr 10, 2013 at 06:54 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:54 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

The football images are strongest of the bunch. The basketball shot is underexposed and I'm not crazy about the angle. It needs a hoop. I find the baseball images to be weak, but I tend to be very critical of baseball shots so take it with a grain of salt. The exposure and colors are very good, but they are stock images at best, that can be captured within an inning or two of any game.

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:54 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #5 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

Paul -- Thanks for the feedback, I'm very thick skinned on this and no grain of salt needed. I do agree that the baseball pics are pretty "stock"; my first game out for the year and it was not too action packed (all offense on 1 side and no offense/defense on the other). Football and soccer seem to be my strong sports and those I feel very comfortable shooting. Still experimenting with all the angels for baseball and basketball. Going to actually meet a sportsshooter member this weekend to work on shooting a HS game together so I am hoping to get some good insight. Thanks again for taking the time; very much appreciated.

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:06 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #6 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

Here's my take.

1) Would be better if a) you could see a defender chasing him b) if the fans were cheering more. Technically it's good, just need a better angle. This is normally why I shoot football from the endzone.

2) Sportrait. Too much space above the head. Wouldn't put in a portfolio.

3) Good shot. Exposed well, facial expression. Perhaps crop a little tighter like Russ said.

4) Not bad. Good facial expression, odd crop though.

5) Under exposed, no basket. Not really sure what's going on in the picture.

6) Not too bad. However, it doesn't appear like she is looking at the ball. Perhaps there's another shot in the sequence that does? Crop tighter.

7) No ball.

8) Crop tighter, too much wasted space on the left and top

9) Not too bad, but you cut off the bat. If the whole bat was in the frame, this would be much better.

10) Sportrait

11) Color is off on this one making it flat

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TSpyers
• •
p.1 #7 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

Michael - thanks for the feedback. As for #6, the image below was earlier in the sequence. I did not choose this one due to the shadow on the defender's face and the "ugly" headball facial expressions.

As for the cropping, I just need to remember to crop tighter and when I think I'm done, do a little more! Thanks again!

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #8 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

This last shot is better than #6 that was posted.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

Tim... you were holding out on us, weren't you. You tease! That last soccer shot despite your insightful analysis, which I agree with, is still damn good. Gymnastics and soccer shooter extraordinaire, Russ Isabella and I had a discussion a while back regarding facial expressions and females. Female athletes, IMO have to be captured not only looking athletic, but beautiful too. It's an extra layer. The expression on her face above as you have pointed out, is something to be conscious of, but in this case, I think it's more than acceptable. This to me, is normal contortion that doesn't detract from her athletic "grace". It's not unflattering. As for the shadow, the face can be dodged a bit to make up for it, but overall, I think it's fine. The only thing I would suggest is to crop more out from the left side, leaving just that one BG player behind the header girl. The girl on the far left needs to be cropped out.

See if Russ catches the thread and he may chime in.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

I agree. My initial impression with this last shot was 'wow.' I'm going to go with that impression. Studying the image can lead to questions about the shadow, the facial expression, etc., but the power is in the intensity and grace of the moment, and you've captured it. I agree with Paul that this shot makes the cut where 'beauty' is concerned, and that the player on the far left adds nothing. For me, this shot delivers on the promise of #6.

Apr 11, 2013 at 01:39 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #11 · Sports Pics C&C Welcome

Paul/Russ -- thanks for taking the time to walk through my images, it is appreciated. Additionally, it is GREATLY appreciated that you went back for a second time to view some changes. Looking forward to continuing to post here and participate in this community!

Apr 11, 2013 at 03:13 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password