Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Rick Denham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

So I shot a wedding on the Saturday of Easter weekend. My kids were staying with me this weekend, so I knew that I wouldn't have time time to dump my images on my computer when I got home so I backed them up to my hyperdrive, just to have two solid copies. I kept the memory cards on my desk, and my hyperdrive in my camera bag. We wake up Sunday morning, the boys do their Easter egg hunt, we go to church, then to my parents for Easter dinner.

After dropping the boys off at their moms I headed home. When I walked in the door my new puppies had broken out of their cage so i headed upstairs immediately to clean up the sh!t and p!ss I knew would be everywhere. After about 10 minutes of cleaning I headed back downstairs. When I got downstairs I noticed that my sliding back door was open, I was like "wtf the dogs opened my door". I went to go close it and noticed my bike wasn't there, turned around immediately and noticed that my camera gear was all gone as well.

I called the cops, they came, we went through as much stuff to figure out what was stolen. They actually even took the time to look for possible prints. When we went through my gear I noticed that both my memory cards and hyperdrive had been taken, my heart immediately sunk. I can't believe that me, being so careful to back stuff up, actually had both copies of the wedding stolen. Even the officer was upset about it. We went across the street to talk to my neighbour, he gets paid to watch the house beside me on the weekends because it's getting reno's and the guys doesn't want anything stolen. He said he saw a guy walk in front of my house 3 times, sit on the porch next door then head down the laneway towards my backyard. He got up grabbed his dog and went for a walk. He went down the laneway but didn't see anyone so he went back home. This was at about 9:00 and I rolled in my driveway about 9:10.

So, Monday came, I went through the entire house, realized they had stolen some of my girlfriends jewelry and my Xbox controllers. It was at this point that I realized I came home when the SOB was in my house. Either my headlights spooked him, or he was actually still there when I walked in the door, because I headed right upstairs. There was so much stuff left behind that should have been taken first. Xbox and 20+games, BluRay player and 20+ movies, guitar, even my spare car key, but none of it taken. Everyone keeps asking if I thought it was intentional, because only my gear was stolen. There is no way it was, and the reason both myself and cop know this is because of the jewelry. It was a move only a thief would make, to know where to goo and look.

So after all is said and done, what is the most important thing here. GET YOURSELF INSURED! I carry specific business insurance that is geared towards photographers. I carry it because i need the liability when I shoot hockey games and hang strobes. My insurance company has been an absolute dream. I have $25K to rent equipment with until mine is replaced. I get full "brand new" replacement cost for all my equipment. They are also giving the b+g the option to either be refunded for my contract or be reimbursed to stage the events all over again. Insurance in my opinion is the most important thing you can purchase, more important then any piece of equipment.

I wanted to share this story with everyone here, not for sympathy, but for knowledge. Now you all have a story to share with potential clients on why it is important to hire a professional who has insurance and not some beginner posting on kijiji/craiglist who doesn't. You also have a story to share with up and coming photographers on the importance of insurance, and how you shouldn't just start shooting because you mom and dad bought you a new camera. Finally, you all have a story/reason now to stop being cheap, so go out and purchase insurance.

As for my bride and groom, I meet with them today. They were an amazing couple and I know they will understand the situation and that I did everything in my power to make sure their images were backed up. I will update you all on what we decide to do tomorrow after I talk with them.

Edited on Apr 11, 2013 at 07:59 AM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:51 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

I'm so sorry to hear this Rick. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with them today!

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:59 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I'm so sorry to hear this Rick. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with them today!

Thanks Tony

As a side note, I have to shoot my first NHL gig for Getty tomorrow, go figure.
Thank god I can rent everything I need, including PW's and a laptop.

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:08 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

damn that is rough
hope everything works out....
in this sort of situation not much can be done...they need to understand that and I hope they do.

my wife had her phone stolen while on the way back from our trip to Asia a month ago. she either dropped it or someone swiped it from her while she was being wheeled around in a wheelchair (she had surgery on her foot in thailand). We texted the thief, offered a reward, even offered them a new phone if they would just give the phone back or else backup the contents to the cloud for us so she could have her pictures and videos.

nothing.

sometimes people are assholes. hope you get some closure in the end.

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:09 AM
McGrattan
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

WOW, what a horrible cautionary tale to experience.

I'm sure you're scouring Kijiji and craigslist yourself, but if you want a second set of eyes PM me what was stolen and I'll let you know if I see anything suspicious.

Hoping for the best!

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

McGrattan wrote:
WOW, what a horrible cautionary tale to experience.

I'm sure you're scouring Kijiji and craigslist yourself, but if you want a second set of eyes PM me what was stolen and I'll let you know if I see anything suspicious.

Hoping for the best!

Thanks man. Colorspace Hyperdrive and Sandisk Memory Cards white lightning 1600's are probbaly the key items.
5DmkIII, canon macro, fish, sigma 50 and sigma 70-200. all things to look for too.

OH and a trek Cobia mountain bike (it's red and white)

Edited on Apr 10, 2013 at 09:46 AM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Becktastic

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

I've had my house robbed before. It really sucks. Thankfully you, your family and your dogs are safe. And thank god for insurance!

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:31 AM
dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Holy crap bud. That's scary as heck!

I REALLY hope you manage to get the images back somehow. Hopefully they can recover the hyperdrive or memory cards.

You can try creating google alerts for each individual item that was stolen...that way it's anything is posted online (Kijiji, Craigslist, etc.), google will send you and email with the link. The caveat is that if you're too generic, you'll get flooded with email.

Assuming the thief probably lives in your area, you could also check pawn shops too...although I don't know if they're really as popular as they used to be.

This really sucks, bud. I feel for you.

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:38 AM
AgentM
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

This is horrible - what insurrance company are you using since I need new insurrance.

Keep us updated.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Wow Rick so sorry to hear about this. No photographer should ever have to deal with that but it is the unfortunate reality.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Yep good post. Now you have to figure out what to buy. Sorry for the inconvience of it all.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM
awad
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Terrible situation all around. Please keep us all posted.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

AgentM wrote:
This is horrible - what insurrance company are you using since I need new insurrance.

Keep us updated.

CB&G Group Based out of Toronto, ON.
They have a media specific package, they are amazing.
http://www.cgbgroup.com/business_insurance/media.html
http://www.cgbgroup.com/pdf/Photography%20Package.pdf

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Glad everything worked out Rick! Thank you for sharing.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

pretty darn crappy.

Thanks for posting.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Sorry to hear that. So the wedding images are all gone? Or did you have another back-up elsewhere?
What's the go forward steps with the B&G?

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Ghost wrote:
Sorry to hear that. So the wedding images are all gone? Or did you have another back-up elsewhere?
What's the go forward steps with the B&G?

Original files were on the cards still, backup files were on the hyperdrive, both were stolen

They (the insurance co.) are giving the b+g the option to either be refunded for my contract or be reimbursed to stage the events all over again

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Rick Denham wrote:
Original files were on the cards still, backup files were on the hyperdrive, both were stolen

They (the insurance co.) are giving the b+g the option to either be refunded for my contract or be reimbursed to stage the events all over again

Damn mate, really sorry to hear that. No idea how I'd react. I guess it's a lesson to all of us though, make sure you have a set of cards on you and one somewhere else until your full normal backups have kicked in.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Sorry to hear that
How did they get in your house?

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · **UPDATE**STOLEN GEAR...STOLEN WEDDING...GOOD READ

Do net images searches... many dont change the settings and your info is still in the meta, they upload, bam! Bust their arse this way!

There was a thread started by a cop on the wedding Bee not long ago. Cops found a stolen camera full of wedding pictures. Went all over the boards and they found the couple! Wedding was in 2008! So heres to hoping they turn up. It does happen.

Sorry to hear, Ive been robbed, you feel so violated...

Edited on Apr 10, 2013 at 08:20 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:26 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.