Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

kerryk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

I am trying to find a tripod that I can use for product Photography where I can note down the height and angle setup for future use of similar products that I will photograph from the same angle. I can't seem to find an affordable solution for this and I am very surprised there is nothing obviously on the market.

I was thinking of a tripod that had maybe measurements or gears but is not super expensive.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

If you use a camera stand, you'd only have to record distance to the stand, height of the camera bracket, elevation angle, and azimuth angle. You could measure elevation angle with a simple gravity-sensing analog or digital measurement device for carpentry, and azimuth angle between 12 o'clock at the 'front' of the stand and the orientation of the bracket.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM
kerryk

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

That is true but I am looking for a way to make it easier than that. I'm just really surprised there is nothing on the market like that right now.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

I do a fair amount of small product photography, and my setup is pretty ad hoc. For me, it's easy enough to get the tripod in more-or-less the right spot, and then take it from there. Often, my intent is different than last time, even though the subject is similar.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

kerryk wrote:
I'm just really surprised there is nothing on the market like that right now.

That's probably because there's very little demand for it unfortunately for you. Gitzo recently released an updated range of systematics and some of them have laser markings on the legs so the user can adjust the tripod to a specific lower height. Quite a few people thought that the marks were a defect.

You can buy geared center columns but depending on the complexity they can be expensive. Have you considered marking up a tripod yourself?

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

peter_n wrote:
Have you considered marking up a tripod yourself?

This is what i would do. Scribe some lines on the legs and then get a head that has markings. A ball head is probably not the best choice. That geared "cube" head or something similar would be nice

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

There is an iPhone app for a level that may help. Just place it on it's edge and read the settings.

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:09 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

If you are using it in a studio, maybe one of the studio stands that were built for large format cameras might have markings that would help. I would think there are too many variables though to be able to exactly replicate the same angle between shoots.

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

Most geared heads from Manfrotto and Gitzo have degrees inscribed on each axis so you can reset the angle. It's not common to have geared center posts with a metric scale but it wouldn't be difficult to add them yourself with a scribe tool or Sharpie. You could take the center post to a machine shop and have them do a more professional job.

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod with measurements or favourite settings

killersnowman wrote:
This is what i would do. Scribe some lines on the legs and then get a head that has markings. A ball head is probably not the best choice. That geared "cube" head or something similar would be nice

+1

Apr 13, 2013 at 07:41 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password