Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What kind of backdrop do you use?

JesseShotland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What kind of backdrop do you use?

Hey all,

I'm a headshot photographer currently using a cloth tacked to a wall as a backdrop. I think it's time to upgrade. I don't want to spend a lot, but I definitely want better quality than that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jess

Apr 09, 2013 at 08:16 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What kind of backdrop do you use?

You cant go wrong with a roll of white seamless. You can turn that into about anything.

Apr 09, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What kind of backdrop do you use?

In ascending order from least expensive to most expensive: Savage white and thunder grey seamless; Westcott black/white collapsible muslin; Savage dark and light grey collapsible muslin; Savage brown collapsible muslin; Denny 5x7 canvas in green (Monte) or multi-colored with yellow predominant (Blackmore). (Not sure about which collapsible muslin is actually less expensive, but they're close.) My choice of backdrop depends, in large part, on what the client needs. I'd say right now that 90% of my recent headshots are either corporate types or young actors, made on white or grey seamless, varying in distance from the light source and subject as mentioned above to achieve whatever shade I need. If I'm going for a more formal, classic, or dramatic look, I'll bring out a Denny.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What kind of backdrop do you use?

Our studio does a lot of headshot work and we use gray, black and white seamless on a RollEasy system. We do have a few collapsible backgrounds with patterned stuff on them but the paper gets the bulk of the work (mostly white). And of course muslins hanging on tracks and the odd support. Those get used at times.

One wall is brick and that gets pressed into service.....

Apr 11, 2013 at 06:37 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What kind of backdrop do you use?

+1 for Savage seamless paper.

Apr 11, 2013 at 04:56 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What kind of backdrop do you use?

Westcott X-Drop? http://forum.makingimages.com.au/showthread.php?tid=22&highlight=westcott

Big fan of mine, despite the sheer stupidity of no middle grey.

Apr 12, 2013 at 05:32 AM
Danny Michael

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What kind of backdrop do you use?

miccullen wrote:
Westcott X-Drop? http://forum.makingimages.com.au/showthread.php?tid=22&highlight=westcott

Big fan of mine, despite the sheer stupidity of no middle grey.

I agree, they need a middle gray. Of course we can turn white to gray, but still, do they want my money or not?

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What kind of backdrop do you use?

Danny Michael wrote:
I agree, they need a middle gray. Of course we can turn white to gray, but still, do they want my money or not?

Savage also makes collapsible backgrounds. With middle grey even.

http://savageuniversal.com/products/collapsible-backdrops

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.