Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!
  
 
Defy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Ok so some of you saw my previous post on what to do with a broken lens. We'll I took another 50$ chance and shipped it to Nikon. So far Nikon has been awesome! Their site is updated pretty regularly and every time I call I get someone who knows something about my repair (better than United Camera). I am patiently waiting with my fingers crossed.

So far they received my lens, estimated it, I approved and paid, now the notes say it's sitting in the shop..... I'll keep you updated.

I have to be honest I wasn't expecting much after reading all the reviews but I guess on the net folks are more apt to give a negative review than post a positive ones.

More to come they said 7-10 days from the 4th so I should know more next week!



Apr 10, 2013 at 01:11 AM
freighterdog74
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Nikon really impressed me with two recent services. My D7000, under warranty, to check for battery drain. Nothing was wrong. 1 week. No charge.

I messed up my 16-85mm Nikkor in trying to replace the rubber grip on the zoom ring. I used ISO alcohol to clean the barrel and dissolved adhesive Nikon uses at the factory to assemble the parts. Though not under warranty, Nikon did the repair at no charge.

The West Coast Service Center moved 10 miles from my home in Santa Monica, Calif, so I dropped the camera and lens off myself. When I picked both up, the service technicians were friendly and willing to chat. They gave me some pointers on how to operate the D7000. It had a really 'family feeling' speaking with them. While I was there, a steady stream of pro photographers came and went, carrying impressive hardware. Many work in the Media or at Hollywood Studios. It's reassuring to see top-flight professionals using this gear. And they all looked happy.



Apr 10, 2013 at 01:41 AM
escaladieu
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Nikon Paris just re calibrated my 24-120 - they did a good job but the communication was terrible. 2 days ago I checked the web status - which said "Estimate accepted on xx/xx/xx" - did not say work had started - 2 hours after that the lens arrived COD with a price of 230 Euro & I almost rejected the package - not expecting the lens to arrive ...


Apr 10, 2013 at 06:42 AM
Defy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Moved in to awaiting parts. I figured this as its the older af-s ii the one before the VRs. Still hopeful they can fix it!


Apr 10, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Defy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Still on parts hold.



Apr 17, 2013 at 02:58 AM
Defy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Ok so they got my parts in! Called to get an eta and told them I have a shoot on next sat (shooting dragon boat races in Tampa!) and the rep put a rush on it to get it to me by Friday!

Still not getting my hopes up till I have the lens back but it would be sweet to have it for next week!

Nikon has been top notch so far..... And I am not NPS...well not yet give a few years and I'll have enough money set aside to get out and try my have at full time photog.



Apr 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Defy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Ok quick update. Online still says parts hold, I will call tomorrow and see what is up. It is not looking very hopeful that I will have my 400mm for this weekend.....


Apr 24, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Baywing
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Don't rely on what you read on the on-line status. I sent my D2x in a few years ago and had it back in hand for almost two weeks before the status updated from "In Shop" to shipped. OTOH, it's been my experience that when one of their reps say they will put a rush on it, it takes even longer. You should have it within a week of the parts arriving unless you are more than a UPS day or two away.
For reference, they used to return repairs the same way you sent it in, ie, if you did FedEx overnight to them, they would overnight back. With all the cutbacks, I doubt they still do that unless you are paying for the repair and upgrade the shipping.



Apr 24, 2013 at 06:02 PM
mshi
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


I sent in a lens last Monday UPS Ground, they received it and entered it in the system on Wednesday with B2 Ranking, and got it back today. The service is getting BETTER! Thank you, Dear Nikon.


Apr 24, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Defy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


We'll I call'd and fussed a bit. The rep today told me the part did not come in.... So I would not have it by friday. We'll see how long this takes. They put a nice disclaimer on the bottom of the email's saying I can't post them on the forums. I might have a legal friend look at it and see how binding that is. As I have found if you get bad service the forums help out a bunch. I don't want to go that route and I know this is a big/expensive/ not very common lens so parts are harder to get. But don't lie to me.

Still have my fingers crossed and hope it all works out. I am still pulling for you Nikon, make me a believer! They received the lens on 4 Apr so we are going on 3 weeks.



Apr 24, 2013 at 08:12 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



rexx714
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


mshi wrote:
I sent in a lens last Monday UPS Ground, they received it and entered it in the system on Wednesday with B2 Ranking, and got it back today. The service is getting BETTER! Thank you, Dear Nikon.


+1!

I am not too far from Nikons new location on Wilshire. Walked in to have my camera service last friday and after three working days it was ready for pickup. Everyone there was so helpful, thanks again Nikon.



Apr 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM
rexx714
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Defy wrote:
We'll I call'd and fussed a bit. The rep today told me the part did not come in.... So I would not have it by friday. We'll see how long this takes. They put a nice disclaimer on the bottom of the email's saying I can't post them on the forums. I might have a legal friend look at it and see how binding that is. As I have found if you get bad service the forums help out a bunch. I don't want to go that route and I know this is a big/expensive/ not very common lens so
...Show more

I have good faith that Nikon will give your lens top priority WHEN PARTS ARE available. . Nikon is "considerate" base on my last eight visits ( El Segundo, Wilshire).



Apr 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Defy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


rexx714 wrote:
I have good faith that Nikon will give your lens top priority WHEN PARTS ARE available. . Nikon is "considerate" base on my last eight visits ( El Segundo, Wilshire).


Yes but that was the issue. The first rep told me they got the parts in and to expect a quick turn (I have this in writing too) . Then the second rep told me they did not and that I should check for updates online rather than calling them once a week.

I don't care either way I just don't like being lied to. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter because a broken lens doesn't do me any good so whether it sits at my house or at Nikon isn't an issue. Still waiting I'll call them once a week (I think that's fair) and keep you guys updated.



Apr 27, 2013 at 01:46 AM
BigIronCruiser
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Defy wrote:
Yes but that was the issue. The first rep told me they got the parts in and to expect a quick turn (I have this in writing too) . Then the second rep told me they did not and that I should check for updates online rather than calling them once a week.

I don't care either way I just don't like being lied to. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter because a broken lens doesn't do me any good so whether it sits at my house or at Nikon isn't an issue. Still waiting I'll call
...Show more
There's no advantage in telling lies, so why would they? It's probably just an honest mistake on the part of the rep.



Apr 27, 2013 at 02:08 AM
ggeinec
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Any thoughts on Nikon West vs Nikon East for repairs or service? The comments here seem to refer to West but I'm in the East and I've read not such good things about them.

I have an 18 - 200mm that I fell on a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking it may need to go in for a thorough checking over.

Thanks!



Apr 27, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Defy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


My lens is at the NY shop. Still on parts hold. I guess my lens is one of those that the parts are hard to find. But I am still hoping for the best! So far I have been able to get by on my photo shoots with my 70-200mm or my 300mm but that is only because of the D800's monster files. The 400mm would have been nice to have for the dragon boat races this weekend....


May 01, 2013 at 12:16 AM
NightOwl Cat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


In which case, if the repair cost is coming out of your pocket, I suggest using APS in Illinois. Just a happy customer of theirs. http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com

ggeinec wrote:
Any thoughts on Nikon West vs Nikon East for repairs or service? The comments here seem to refer to West but I'm in the East and I've read not such good things about them.

I have an 18 - 200mm that I fell on a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking it may need to go in for a thorough checking over.

Thanks!




May 01, 2013 at 01:11 AM
screwdriver
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


NightOwl Cat wrote:
In which case, if the repair cost is coming out of your pocket, I suggest using APS in Illinois. Just a happy customer of theirs. http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com




i tried APS for a lens repair, sent the lens and i was quoted $1000 to repair a lens
i sent it to nikon melville and they charged me $224



May 01, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Defy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Ok Nikon says it's shipped! So almost exactly 2 months. Not quite speedy but I bet it would be faster if I was an NPS. I will let you know when it comes in!!! I am getting excited to have my big mama back, as I sold my 300mm 2.8 and I have been left with just my 70-200mm... I know, I know first world problems, eh!




Jun 03, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Bruce Sawle
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Fingers crossed! Nikon Service has my lens!


Not so bad it took 3 months for my 300 f2.8 AFS II part to come in and get fixed and returned to me.


Jun 04, 2013 at 03:04 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password