New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help with virtual machine question re monitor calibration

mjgphotoz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with virtual machine question re monitor calibration

I was just about to install a virtual machine to run ProShow on my Mac Mini, Duo Core, Snow Leopard, when it hit me. I am using a NEC monitor which does not recognize the mac profile, rather the one created by the Spectra ViewII software. Sooooo, does anyone know what kind of a can of worms I am opening? Can I or do I need to install SpectraView II on my PC side and calibrate? Will that even work?? I also have the option of installing the virtual machine on a MB Pro, 5 core, also Snow Leopard. Would that actually work better from the monitor aspect? I hate to do that as the MBP has a glossy screen and was not intended by me for this use. I am not sure I am wording my searches right on the web as I am not really getting any useful info. Any help would be greatly appreciated especially from any of you who have already gone down this path!

Regards,

mjgphotoz

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:10 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with virtual machine question re monitor calibration

first off, ask yourself if you really need to go through the hassle of setting up a new profile. you can try it w/o it first and see how the colors are.

then you could of course just do a calibration in the virtual machine which would load it into the NEC (using the free NEC Multiprofiler software, you could probably keep both available)

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:44 PM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with virtual machine question re monitor calibration

Thank you for your response. That is my question also. On first blush, it would seem like the virtual machine would likely need to have a separate profile made. I am wanting to error on the side of caution as my onlyreason for having a PC in the first place is to use Pro Show and I will have to purchase a copy of Win7 in order to use in on the virtual machine. Currently, I am using the NEC connected to a PC, a Lenovo laptop,and the calibration while ok, just is not the same as attached to the Mac. Not to mention all the hassle of having to use my MBP as a main unit while files process on the PC. If this is not really going to work I would dearly like to find that out before I jump. It would likely be easier to use the MBP for this purpose, but the glossy screen is really not user friendly as I am using this in a studio environment and funding MS does not make me happy either, if you know what I mean. Has anyone reading actually used a combination like this or had some experience good or bad using ProShow on a Mac in a virtual machine? Slow downs?? File or processing issues? I would really appreciate your feedback.

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:39 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with virtual machine question re monitor calibration

Sorry, can't help w/ the ProShow aspect of things as I don't use it. The Lenovo/NEC combination really *should* have created a good calibration and nothing so significantly 'inferior' to the Mac/NEC combination. Ultimately, the profile for the NEC resides in the monitor itself so there may be some (heaven forbid) 'weirdness' in the way Windows color management (or your management of it) works.

Have you looked at FotoMagico (I think thats the name of it, Mac slideshow software)

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:52 PM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with virtual machine question re monitor calibration

I am using the P221W which is WG and somehow just does not look the same when connected to the Lenovo. I don't know if that difference lies between the Mac and PC version of SpectraView II software or not. The monitor is excellent and yes, I am accurately color calibrated. I actually have the Lenovo calibrated with Spyder 4, the NEC calibrated with SpectraView II, and the MBP calibrated with ColorEyes in order to get them to match. The problem with the Lenovo is that it's screen is TN so for me it's use is not an option and using SpectraView on the PC to calibrate it to the NEC just does not match up color wise. I do know that I recently received and update the Mac version and installation caused a major issue and required calling customer support for a fix, so I never bothered with the PC version. I should try that update and see if it has any effect. Unfortunately, even if it were a perfect match, the issue of back and forth with the monitor is still an issue. I have tried FotoMagico and trialed it and ProShow at the same time and decided that for my studio needs, ProShow was the way to go. FotoMagico does do some very nice basic slideshows and the music sync is excellent, it just does not have enough of the slides, transitions and variability for me.

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:03 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.