FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · The D400

PennsyBill
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The D400

With the plummeting prices on the D3s you might take a look thru one using the DX-crop. I just tried it the other day at a soccer match using my 200-400 f4 and the new perspective knocked my socks off - the only bad part is of shooting an effective "300-600mm" lens is the action can get onto to you very quickly and it's easy to cut off a limb or two.

I'm going to try my 70-200mm today (playing on a smaller field) in the DX-mode and see how it looks.

Apr 14, 2013 at 05:49 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The D400

I have a D600, and D7100

The D600 holds it's own in the focus department.
It actually is better inside a poorly lit barn.

I would only consider switching to the D7100 for three reasons:
Cheaper, fits hand better, and more reach.

Actually there is a forth reason, I have NAS>

Apr 14, 2013 at 09:02 AM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The D400

I can't speak on the business reasons for releasing or not releasing a D400 or even if it would be a viable product, but I think it would interest me.

Owning the D300 and D700, I find them to be an excellent pair of cameras for what I like to shoot. Sometimes the smaller sensor lets me get just a little more reach that I need for the shot without having to go for bigger glass. Even a 600mm lens won't give me all the reach I need, though admittedly the longer the effective lens length the more difficult it is for me to get a clean shot. Still, I like using both FX and DX and love the feel of the D300/D700 bodies. I may go for a D7100, but if a D400 was available I don't think it would be a difficult decision for me to go with the better body.

To be honest though, most of my shooting lately has been with the Canon G11 or G1X. No SLR will ever give me the portability of a P&S, even if they do have the ability to blow them away in IQ. The fact is that I'm just an amateur photographer that enjoys decent gear, but struggles to justify every new advancement that comes out. Often a nice P&S covers what I need if I am not specifically going out to do a photo shoot.

For DSLR shooting, 12MP is plenty for most of my shooting, but I wouldn't mind having more for times that it would help. I think 18MP would be more than enough for me, 36Mp might be way more than I could use. I wouldn't mind seeing a D800H that has a lower pixel count on the sensor (16-24MP) but I think that is essentially what the D600 is supposed to be so I'm not holding my breath.

So yeah, a D400 would be a camera I would purchase. Especially if they kept the price close to what the D300 was released at (~$1800, if I remember correctly.) Everyone has their needs, and for me a D400 with a 16-18Mp sensor would fill a desire I have in my camera lineup. If not, the D300/D700 lineup works fine for me until I can justify the high cost of a D4, but I think I would have to be doing a lot more shooting than I am now to get there.

David

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The D400

RRRoger wrote:
A D600 Sensor in a D800 body would cost the same as a D800,
Maybe more with the enhanced frame rate, you crave.
Why don't you just get a used D700?

IIRC, the d700 was around $2800 US when it was announced. I wouldn't expect a d800 body with the 24mp sensor in it and d700 features, to be less.

Kerry

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Kyyo24
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The D400

Personally, they can keep everything the same; 12mp, 8fps, af, body, button layout...the only thing I really want is better iso. ISO 100-25600 in the normal range is what I want! 16-18 mp would be nice too but it's not a huge deal to me. They're going to need a 7dmk2 killer...maybe they're waiting for canon to release it first..??

Apr 14, 2013 at 02:45 PM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The D400

Kerry Pierce wrote:
IIRC, the d700 was around $2800 US when it was announced....

I bought the D700 right after it came out and it was $3000 at my camera store, so you are close. I haven't popped for the D800 yet - I'll wait to see what comes next. A few more megapixels and maybe better low light sensitivity would be nice over the D300/D700.) Better focusing is always appreciated, though I think what I have is pretty good already assuming there is enough light.

On the plus side, cameras are only getting better so the next one I buy should be well ahead of what I have. It will be interesting to see what Nikon releases, if anything.

David

Apr 14, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The D400

PennsyBill wrote:
With the plummeting prices on the D3s you might take a look thru one using the DX-crop.

Yes, but now you're getting 5MP images... yuck. I try to get a minimum of 12 quality MP on my target so I can make decent-sized prints. Or, if you don't print, then the higher noise of something like a D7100 or D600 can be brought down much closer to what the D3s can deliver by downsizing from 24MP to 11MP.

Apr 14, 2013 at 09:24 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The D400

I want my mega-pickles as well. 24MP DX or go home!

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:07 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The D400

Kerry Pierce wrote:
Indeed, if Nikon really wants to score a lot of my money, they'll also put the d600 24mp sensor into a d800 body and give us another pair of 8fps cameras. Sweet!

Kerry

+20 ... not that it would help me being a dedicated DX shooter, but WOW, that would quite the camera. For that matter, the same in a D4 like body.

D4h = 24MP with 8 to 10 FPS
D4x = 56MP with 4 to 5 FPS

But I still want my 20MP 8FPS D400

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.