Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wi-Fi Cards. Is there one that works Reliably?

glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wi-Fi Cards. Is there one that works Reliably?

Forgive the rant but I'm more than a little fed up and frustrated with Crap that dosen't work as advertised when it should be simple and straightforward.

I have an Eye-Fi and a Flu card and find both to be impractical for actual work use.

Neither of them seem to work as advertised nor work as the setup instructions say.
I simply want to upload images from The 600D I bought specifically for the task to my laptop. I'm not interested in frigging around putting them up on facewaste or emailing them or whatever. I simply want them to go to a folder on the laptop when I am shooting events and do it reliably.

I have had both cards working but they are patchy no matter how close I am to the laptop.
With the eye-fi, that was a total Bitch to set up and nothing like what the instructions indicated. I did find some instructions on the net written by someone also frustrated with the OEM instructions. Using his method it connected as it should but it was nothing like the instructions indicated. I have lost that info now and can't find it and have wasted too much time trying to get what should be a straightforward thing to work.

I have a number of servers I have set up and networked up to 30 ,machines both through routers and switches and wirelessly so it's not like I'm totally without a clue. I also had a network expert look at the eye fi card and he couldn't make the thing work following the instructions either.

I have been reading up on the Transcend Wi-fi card and that too seems like it's patchy at best and a waste of time for most..... and I have read that it won't even simply transfer images to a laptop.

I can't understand how a Cheap wireless router can be so easy to set up and reliable yet these cards are so damn complex and flakey.
It wouldn't actually worry me to run a wire from the camera to a wireless router and a battery on my hip if it worked like it does with other wireless devices.... That being reliably.

So, the question is, are there any other cards or methods of connecting the camera to transfer pics wirelessly to a laptop ( Other than canons overly expensive and not great wi fi devices) that work and are reliable enough to use for work rather than amusement?
I'm not looking for mega range, 10-20M would be fine which the Eye-fry did when it would work.

Apr 09, 2013 at 08:28 AM
martines34
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wi-Fi Cards. Is there one that works Reliably?

Call Wifi directly for their help with your problem.

Because there are so many different model cameras out there there are a variety of problems which pop up.

They are very helpful.

Apr 09, 2013 at 08:45 AM
doogie2304
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wi-Fi Cards. Is there one that works Reliably?

i've used the eye-fi for two years now (and yes, it was a pain to set up originally!), but as you have said, they have patchy performance. i have used it when shooting architecture to tether to a laptop or ipad, an the main problem was the connection dropped out on a regular basis.

i have now just received a camranger and have to say that so far, this is the way to go. it is a lot more expensive than an eye-fi card, but for the reliability and the fact that it lets me control the camera with my ipad, to me the extra cost is well worth it. have a look at their website www.camranger.com and google some reviews.

Apr 09, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wi-Fi Cards. Is there one that works Reliably?

doogie2304 wrote:
i've used the eye-fi for two years now (and yes, it was a pain to set up originally!), but as you have said, they have patchy performance. i have used it when shooting architecture to tether to a laptop or ipad, an the main problem was the connection dropped out on a regular basis.

i have now just received a camranger and have to say that so far, this is the way to go. it is a lot more expensive than an eye-fi card, but for the reliability and the fact that it lets me control the camera with my ipad,
...Show more

+1

yes they have a very patchy performance

Apr 12, 2013 at 08:42 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wi-Fi Cards. Is there one that works Reliably?

Love CamRanger.

Found the best way to use Eye-Fi was to get Shutter Snitch app for my iPad and iPhone. Not as good as CamRanger, but the combo works ok.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.