Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

astv99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

I have an upcoming trip to NYC and would like to shoot some photos while I'm there but I wasn't sure if it'd be worth bringing my tripod. Does anyone know if tripods are allowed anywhere inside Manhattan? (With the obvious exception of Central Park.) I've read stories of tripods not being allowed at Top of the Rock and the Empire State Building and don't want to run into any issues.

And are tripods allowed over at Brooklyn Bridge Park? I'd like to get sunset & night shots from there, with my tripod if possible.

Would appreciate any info on using a tripod in & around NYC. Or if I should just take a Gorillapod instead, for locations like ESB and TOTR.

Apr 09, 2013 at 02:53 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

ESB and TOTR do not allow tripods. You can bring a mini (table top) and use on the edge of the building. clamp would work as well.

Tripods are fine in the parks and sometimes OK on the sidewalk if not creating congestion or safety issues. You can see some nice BB images on my sight in the landscape section.

Morris

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:10 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

BB Park you will have no issues with a tripod as I was there back in November and used my tripod without any issues. As Morris said, in Manhattan is where it gets tricky. You will most likely have to crank up your ISO as tripods aren't allowed at the top of the rock or the Empire State Building. Fortunately, with the amount of city lights that NYC has, you won't have to crank up your ISO too high.

-Nick

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:37 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

What about friction arms and/or superclamps? Just curious.

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:59 PM
techboy96

p.1 #5 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

You'll simply have to get a Gorillapod for high traffic tourist area. I work in Manhattan every day and have seen some random tripod setup on none busy streets, that appears ok. Never seeing anyone get a ticket for setting up a tripod. I personally had a friendly warning by a cop to put my tripod away a few years ago during Xmas season near Rockefeller Center area.

Enjoy your visit here. Working here takes away the fun, and some days, I forget to appreciate the nice cityscape we have.

Apr 09, 2013 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RichCoyle
• •
p.1 #6 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

The statute indicates that you cannot prevent others from the use of the sidewalk without a permit; they measure the use of the sidewalk as to how much of the width your tripod legs are occupying vs. the total width available, if I remember correctly, you cannot use more than 40% but don't quote me.

Apr 09, 2013 at 07:05 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #7 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

Monopod should be ok on the streets.

ESB security are assholes if you even have *any* kind of tripod attached to your bag.

If the street isn't too busy and you're not being a PITA, you can use a tripod until a cop tells you not to.

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:39 AM
astv99
• •
p.1 #8 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

Thanks for the info from everyone, much appreciated! I'll probably pack both my regular tripod (it folds to 17") as well as my Gorillapod.

Apr 10, 2013 at 07:34 AM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.1 #9 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

It is maybe the most famous touristy city in the world. People with tripods are *everywhere*. Don't be afraid to use one!

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:49 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #10 · NYC - are tripods allowed anywhere?

John S. Hudson wrote:
It is maybe the most famous touristy city in the world. People with tripods are *everywhere*. Don't be afraid to use one!

Like John said... and others as well... As long as you're not an obstacle then you can do pretty much a lot :-)

We've done weddings in the Manhattan with tripod and strobes and nobody said anything (other then "congratulations to the B&G").

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password