Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

ahamp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

The thumbscrew on my 500 f/4 AF-S II just stripped. The screw is still in place as the keeper bushing is still there. But, the threads themselves are stripped. Anyone help me with a fix?

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

Does the stripped part look like this?

ZoomOnSports.com 2012

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:41 PM
DGC1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

Back in the day I bought the parts from Nikon and fixed it myself. As you might expect, the parts were over $50.00. It stripped while I was on a shoot and I used a scrunchie (sp) to hold it on and it worked pretty well.

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:13 AM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #4 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

$50. for a screw, I guess you did

gene

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

OK so I answered my own question. I did some research and I am 99% sure it is the same as my 400 hood "T-Nut". Mine stripped at the Rose Bowl 2 years ago and the on site Nikon people had one in there box o nuts and bolts. They replaced it free at the game. FF to Fiesta bowl and it went out again but Nikon was not on site to help out. I called there parts store and was told as of July 2012 they no longer sell to the public that part. I could send the lens in for repair of the stripped part. I said lets think outside the box. Why ship a 10k lens worry about damage, lost or stolen for a 20 dollar part. Shipping and insurance would be insane. She agreed and checked and said I could just send in the hood for repair. Supposedly there is an update change that only cost 105.00 to do, not. So I was able to track down a source that had 3 left. I bought all 3 as I am sure it will happen again.
I was just invited to join NPS so I do not know if I could use that back road or not but I called Nikon USA to get them involved and they came back with the same answer, send in the hood for the change.

I will tell you this, unless one pops up on Ebay you will not find one. I looked and called all over the US and Europe looking for it. Every time I found one on line they were out of stock and would not get them in.
As far as I could figure out too, nobody has found a solution to change or modify it.

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:16 AM
paqman2

p.1 #6 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

I created new threads (#10-24) in the part attached to the hood then used a #10-24 x 3/4 thumbscrew. It works perfectly.

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:17 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

^ that's usin' yer head

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #8 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

Post a clear photo of what's broken and still there.

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:43 AM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #9 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

Thanks for all the replies. There is nothing broken per se. The thumbscrew looks like the picture posted by Wickedfn4u except the metal screw is still in the plastic "thumb" part. It's just that the threads are stripped on it.
Since the screw moves freely in and out, I currently have a rubber band around it to provide inward pressure. The rubber band allows me to pull it out to slide it on and off. The screw with the end bushing( I called it a keeper bushing) still catches and holds the hood on.
I can't believe there wouldn't be parts. Isn't this the same way the current hoods attach or not?

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #10 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

ahamp wrote:
I can't believe there wouldn't be parts. Isn't this the same way the current hoods attach or not?

There are parts. Just that Nikon USA won't sell them to you. You would have to send in the hood (maybe the lens) to have it repaired or replaced.

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:56 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #11 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

If anybody has the same parts thare are broken, but complete and willing to part with them on a loan basis, I'd be interested in seeing if the "neck and shoulders" looking part the thumbscrew threads onto can be rebuilt, probably with a freshly threaded metal insert.

PM me if interested.

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:31 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #12 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

geniousc wrote:
$50. for a screw, I guess you did

gene

Yeah, I sorta felt that way at first. I had to buy the entire assembly which consists of about 10-12 parts as I remember. Lots of finely machined parts. Seemed like a rip until I saw what all was involved. The trick is to tighten the screw just enough to hold the hood in place and absolutely do not over tighten it.

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:09 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #13 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

Nobody wants to hear it, but as we do repair work where I am employed, the reason behind not selling parts is simple. Most parts make little or no money for the repair facility but labor does make money and that's why they are in business. Also, every part you sell is one less you can install for your customers and this results in unhappy customers. Not everyone is a do-it-yourselfer. Think about your own profession and I'm sure you can relate to that concept.

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:16 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

DGC1 wrote:
Nobody wants to hear it, but as we do repair work where I am employed, the reason behind not selling parts is simple. Most parts make little or no money for the repair facility but labor does make money and that's why they are in business. Also, every part you sell is one less you can install for your customers and this results in unhappy customers. Not everyone is a do-it-yourself. Think about your own profession and I'm sure you can relate to that concept.

There is a big difference between undoing two screws and replacing them and R&R a fuel pump on a car. I understand what you are saying but sending in a lens just to swap this is crazy. Now a focus motor or repair a shutter button or something I would not tackle but some might. They should sell the parts and let the consumer know what level of difficulty they want to tackle. Auto mfg sells every part for a car but not everyone rebuilds an engine.

I do understand what you are saying though.

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:47 PM
DontShoot
• • •
p.1 #15 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

I'm sure $2 and a trip to the Home Depot will fix it. They can keep their $50 screw.

Apr 09, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #16 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

DGC1 wrote:
Nobody wants to hear it, but as we do repair work where I am employed, the reason behind not selling parts is simple. Most parts make little or no money for the repair facility but labor does make money and that's why they are in business. Also, every part you sell is one less you can install for your customers and this results in unhappy customers. Not everyone is a do-it-yourselfer. Think about your own profession and I'm sure you can relate to that concept.

Luckily except for nikon parts, dickish repair shops that don't sell parts are easily replaced with the internet.

It's always interesting when a business turns away customers that are already there, with money in hand, willing to spend it, even at a hefty markup just to get them then and there.

Apr 09, 2013 at 06:03 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #17 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

I was able to take a closer look now that i am home. As it turns out the screw is not stripped. It is the shoulder on the hood that accepts the screw that appears to be stripped. Understandable as there are only about 3 turns worth of threads. The rest is just smooth bushing.
Should I find a way to re-tap this and use a screw from the hardware store? Found some 10-32 and 10-24 that might work.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #18 · Fix For Stripped Hood Screw

I took a look at how these hood lock devices work.

I can repair them for $50, return postage included with a correct metric thread, preserving the original screw, leaving no visible changes to the lock itself.

Just imagine what you've done to resale value of a lense with a random screw from the hardware store holding the hood on.

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password