Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

JimKied
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

A color calibration noob here. I have been getting variable calibration results from this combination. Background - I am using the Dell 2410 as an external display to a Dell Precision M4600 laptop with the NVIDIA Quadro 1000M video card.

The short version of my issue is that sometimes, the calibration results in a way too warm, reddish tint to the video. I am using d65, trying for 1.2 luminance, etc. etc.

When I run the profiler, the automatic display control (ADC) does not work on this monitor. As an aside, I think this is odd, because it did work on my older Dell 2209 monitor. Just saying. So I have to adjust contrast and brightness manually. I never have to adjust contrast, but brightness is out just about every time I calibrate (1x month). This is true even though I check the ambient light smart control.

When I manually adjust brightness, I frequently have t adjust brightness almost all the way to the bottom of the brightness scale for the monitor (somewhere around 13 on a scale of 100). I actually think this is where the problem is. I think the brightness is too low for the calibrator to give good results. Hope that makes sense.

FWIW - at those low brightness values, the print brightness on my printer come out about right. I haven't sent any pics to a lab since I got the new i1 Display Pro.

The strange (to me) thing is, sometimes the calibration results are great, sometimes not (as demonstrated on prints from my printer (which is not calibrated, by the way).

And the only other thing I can think of is that I keep the room where my rig is set up fairly dark when I am processing. I am wondering if maybe I would get better results if I brighten up the room (maybe I can get higher brightness values on the monitor)? But - I definitely am not expert and would like to hear your input.

So folks, any suggestions on why the calibration can sometimes be wonky?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Jim

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:04 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

you want to make sure to do the calibration w/ no additional room lights on (sometimes I carefully drape a black cloth over the monitor and tilt it back but the puck MUST not put significant pressure on the display.

I wouldnt worry too much about the 13 out of 100 brightness but hopefully, the software can tell you what the luminance value is (1.2 doesn't mean anything, did you mean 2.2 Gamma?) which you want in the 90-110 zone (a function of how bright the viewing area of the final print is).

If you get a good calibration, then just use that. Recalibrating on a hyper-schedule is a waste of time and effort. 3-4 times a year is really good enough.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:39 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

I have that combination of calibrator and monitor and it works fine for me with little or no variation. Your monitor brightness setting sounds about right for a luminance calibration value in the 110-120 range.

One thing I never use is the dynamic adjustment for ambient lighting. Are you using that? That could be causing the variation you are seeing.

Another thing that can happen with Windows 7 is that Windows can stop using your custom monitor profile after sleep or security (UAC) warnings. One thing that helps with that is to stop using the Xrite profile loader and let the Windows Color Management Control Panel handle it. Here is a page that explains how to do that:

http://www.laszlopusztai.net/2009/08/23/stop-losing-display-calibration-with-windows-7/

I can't think of much beyond those tips other than it could be an intermittent problem with the i1 Display sensor puck.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:57 PM
newhaven
• •
p.1 #4 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

i1 display pro or i1 display 2? The i1 display 2 does not work well with wide gamut monitors.

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:04 PM
JimKied
• •
p.1 #5 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

Hey, appreciate all the responses. Had a number of fires spring up on the day job that I had to put out, which included going out of town. Still slammed, and I will look at these in greater detail when I get a chance - probably this weekend.

And this is the i1 Display Pro.

Thanks,
Jim

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

The i1 display pro ought to be both accurate and consistent - unlike the i1 display 2. Of course, that doesn't mean you don't have a faulty unit.

Seeing a tint to the screen colours after profiling may well be just that you are not yet used to it - particularly if the old profile was not accurate or had been disabled. It can also happen if the room lighting is different and affects your perception.

The matching with prints will be affected greatly by the lighting in which you view the prints and also by the likely fact that you are not viewing the screen and the print at the same place and time in their respective ideal lighting conditions (you would need a special print viewing booth to do that).

90 Cd/m2 corresponds nicely to a very bright room lit with 5000K fluoro lights. Way brighter than a normal living room, for example. However, at that level your photos may look rather dull on the screen - especially photos of bright and contrasty summer scenes. You might need to do your photo editing at brighter levels with lots of contrast and then adapt a separate copy for printing, one with less brightness and less contrast according to how the prints will be viewed and the paper/ink combination. This is easier if the monitor brightness can be controlled automatically by the profile but otherwise you may need to note the required monitor brightness level settings and adjust when you change profiles. Such settings are generally part of the "calibrating" and are technically separate from the "profiling".

- Alan

Apr 12, 2013 at 09:46 AM
JimKied
• •
p.1 #7 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

Eyeball said:
I have that combination of calibrator and monitor and it works fine for me with little or no variation. Your monitor brightness setting sounds about right for a luminance calibration value in the 110-120 range. One thing I never use is the dynamic adjustment for ambient lighting. Are you using that? That could be causing the variation you are seeing. Another thing that can happen with Windows 7 is that Windows can stop using your custom monitor profile after sleep or security (UAC) warnings. One thing that helps with that is to stop using the Xrite profile loader and let the...Show more

I had been using the dynamic adjustment, and I turned that off. Checked out the link, and made those changes. Not sure it did anything, but I have my fingers crossed.

I have noticed that the "view" is more consistent now (in fact hasn't changed since I made the changes). So my confidence level is on its way back up.

Alan321 said:

Seeing a tint to the screen colours after profiling may well be just that you are not yet used to it - particularly if the old profile was not accurate or had been disabled. It can also happen if the room lighting is different and affects your perception.

I think that may be the case here. Everything is definitely looking warmer than I am used to. And photos I processed before the i1 installation look pretty garish. I think the real test will be for me to send some images to a lab and see how they come back. I can't really go by my printer - it is a basic all in one, but it generates decent images when I am in a pinch.

I appreciate all the help. Finger's crossed!!

Apr 14, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Pictus

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

I got very good results in my u2410 by using the Factory Menu Trick to alter the RGB values of the
Standard Preset and calibrating with Argyll+dispcalGUI
You can alter all presets in the Factory Menu.

*Warning*
Before changing anything in the Factory Menu, take a photo or write down the original values.

The Factory Menu

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:50 AM
JimKied
• •
p.1 #9 · Monitor Calibration - i1 Display and Dell 2410

I finally sent some shots off to the lab and got them back. I guess it was my perception because the prints were great! Very pleased.

I appreciate all the help. I think I am back on track.

Thanks everyone!

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:35 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password