Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

Probably many of us know about this but I thought I would share this in case someone didn't know about it. Simply, these are "Buy Now" ads at Ebay involving Nikon exotic Teles (200-400, 400 2.8, 600 f4, etc...). The seller has a 100% rating, however, when you open the page it redirects you to another website where they can hijack your info whenever you proceed to checkout (and probably use your info for their next scam ad). I rarely look at my address bar when I open a page so many would fall for this.

When you checkout Ebay will send you a "cancelled transaction" email due to a possible scam, however, it would be too late by then since the scammer had already taken your info.

Don't let your NAS take the best of you Here's some screenshots...

Edited on Apr 08, 2013 at 02:28 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:23 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

should always go without saying, if its too good to be true, it is.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:27 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

I can see even more people falling for these if they had priced the lenses closer to actual used prices. Scary.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:32 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

If you're foolish enough to fall for this, you deserve to get burned...

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Studio B

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

DGC1 wrote:
If you're foolish enough to fall for this, you deserve to get burned...

A victim of a crime DOES NOT deserve it. Your comment is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever seen on this forum.

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

Studio B wrote:
A victim of a crime DOES NOT deserve it. Your comment is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever seen on this forum.

In this case its something like Darwin award, just in financial world..

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:56 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

Mescalamba wrote:
In this case its something like Darwin award, just in financial world..

Guys, what's obvious to you may not be that obvious to others... Otherwise we wouldn't get "scam" threads every once in a while. Many of those who got scammed are also intelligent people and don't "deserve to be burnt". Some of the methods sounded obvious to me like demanding a wire transfer or PP gift, or the recent account hacks, still many took the bait.

I believe that the scam is dangerous simply because the idea is to hijack your info, not sell you the lens and take your money. If you don't pay attention to the address bar then you're screwed. Now seriously, how many times do users carefully read the whole address bar on every page they browse?

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

Thanks for posting this. I generally buy high dollar items from places that I trust, which wouldn't include ebay, but I can say that I never look at the address bar for things like that and would be a perfect candidate for a scam like this on items that weren't so obviously out of whack on prices.

It probably won't be long before this scam is extended to much cheaper items.

thanks
Kerry

Apr 08, 2013 at 05:45 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

Studio B wrote:

It's a crime to think you can buy a $6000 - $10,000.00 lens for 66% off. I'm also deeply hurt by your comment...NOT!

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:16 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

lara_ckl wrote:
I can see even more people falling for these if they had priced the lenses closer to actual used prices. Scary.

Exactly. Super-cheap prices would arouse suspicions and cause most of us to think 'Scam'
- if the price was closer to reality, more people would go for it

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:23 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

http://poiuaj2sa22.com/ws/eBayISAPl.php?ViewItem&item=171021377909&seller=birdieuno:

"THE LENS BODY AND GLASS IS DIDN'T HAVE ANY SCRECHES OR MARK"

Things that don't actually exist tend to be free of wear.

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:24 PM
Studio B

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

@DGC1, I'm making good use of the "hide me"button. Have a nice life.

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:27 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

Im sure people which buy this kind of lens must have no idea what they are buying, right? Zero info about photography. Cause thats how you will know that these lens exist..

I would think really deep before giving 2000 USD to anyone.. And if someone doesnt, well I guess they dont need that money?

Sorry but thats pure idiocy.

I hate scam which is like 100-200 USD less on camera or so, cause that really cant be much foreseeable (for some). But this case is just matter of switching on brain for a moment and thinking a bit.

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:31 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

I like how some are so full of themselves and lack any hint of modesty yet they can't read plain English. For the tenth time, the scam doesn't involve "buying" the lens but hijacking the user's info if the user didn't pay attention to the browser's address bar when he/she opens the link.

Apr 09, 2013 at 02:46 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

Studio B wrote:
@DGC1, I'm making good use of the "hide me"button. Have a nice life.

+1

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:34 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

Another scam brought to you by ebay.

Hi-jacked account? Why hide the sellers name? I would think that would help out in the warning. I would also love to see one of these ads if you have a link. How are they redirecting off of ebay's website? My first thought it DNS cache poisoning but that would be based on someone's own DNS cache, not ebay's.

If a button on ebay's website is redirecting to a scammer's site does that mean ebay finally gave up and joined the dark side?

In all seriousness I would love to see an example of this, the tech in me wants to know how they pull something like this off.

Edit: Never mind, found the answer in another thread.

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:51 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

VinnieJ wrote:
Another scam brought to you by ebay.

Hi-jacked account? Why hide the sellers name? I would think that would help out in the warning. I would also love to see one of these ads if you have a link. How are they redirecting off of ebay's website? My first thought it DNS cache poisoning but that would be based on someone's own DNS cache, not ebay's.

If a button on ebay's website is redirecting to a scammer's site does that mean ebay finally gave up and joined the dark side?

In all seriousness I would love to see an example of this,
...Show more

Link to thread?

Otherwise probably some Java script, plenty of options.. none will work on my browser.

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:35 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

Mescalamba wrote:
Link to thread?

Otherwise probably some Java script, plenty of options.. none will work on my browser.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1203615/0#11473772

Apr 09, 2013 at 02:26 PM
J Lachel

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

I noticed that the prices for most (or all?) were for $2,000 "buy it now." Not just lenses either. I saw a lot of high end bodies (with really low actuations claimed and different explanations..."backup body," etc.). I chose 3 of their listings and reported them to eBay.

"Other" items for sale included, amongst others, pictures of nuns...and that was the seller's moniker they were using.

I was also careful to note that if you clicked on the ebay ad, it would quickly switch over to another similar looking page that was full of fake links. I clicked on the "report item" link only on the real ebay page before the switch was made. Reported them last night. All of their listings are gone today.

If it looks too good...you'd better be examining the ad with a fine tooth comb.

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Exotic Nikons for Cheap (Scam Alert)

So its not a scam, its regular hack. Ok that is dangerous..

Apr 09, 2013 at 05:24 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.