Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

I had accidentally over exposed the bouquet toss from a wedding I did a few weeks ago. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on adjusting this in Lightroom or cs6? I can upload the picture when I get home. Please help!!

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:16 PM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

If you have the raw file from the camera you have a better chance of getting a decent image from it than if all you have is the camera jpeg file. That is one of the primary advantages of working with raw files-more latitude to handle over or under exposed images.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:46 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

post your image first before anyone can help you with ideas. it doesn't need to be raw since jpeg is fine.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

Open the file in camera raw. Use the adjustment brush to reduce the exposure on the bouquet. Done.
Allan

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:21 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

Allynb wrote:
Open the file in camera raw. Use the adjustment brush to reduce the exposure on the bouquet. Done.
Allan

Wow sight unseen your 100% sure there is information to be recovered in the raw, your good. Can you give me the powerball winning numbers?

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:20 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

When i over expose i tend to process in high key for an arty look.

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:35 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

15Bit wrote:
When i over expose i tend to process in high key for an arty look.

Toss enough sugar in the mix and you can make some yummy lemonade from yucky lemons.

+1 @ sometimes this is much easier/faster than performing a good correction ... kinda depends on the image if you go for correction vs. something "creative".

Apr 09, 2013 at 06:57 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

WAYCOOL wrote:
Wow sight unseen your 100% sure there is information to be recovered in the raw, your good. Can you give me the powerball winning numbers?

Given the information provided by the OP, Allan has given good advice.

No, he doesn't know if there is information to be recovered in the RAW.
- if the adjustment brush works, great!
- if it doesn't work, perhaps the picture is beyond saving.

Do you have a better suggestion?

Apr 09, 2013 at 07:36 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

scottam10 wrote:
- if the adjustment brush works, great!
- if it doesn't work, perhaps the picture is beyond saving.

Do you have a better suggestion?

Just because the adjustment brush may not get the job done, doesn't mean that the image is beyond saving. CS6 offers more capability for contending with problems than LR. Until we see the image, we can't know whether it will fall into the realm of capability for LR, or will need the full realm of possibilities that CS6 offers. Also, while the adjustment brush may offer an improvement/solution, it may be possible to provide a more "refined" one via CS6.

A few tools that CS6 has that are beyond the capability of the adjustment brush in LR are:

LAB
Layers
Channels
Calculations

The solution(s) could range from the simplicity of the adjustment brush in LR, to a multi-step approach in CS6.
Suggestion(s) will depend on the image ... i.e. too early to tell what approach(es) are warranted as viable, even though the adjustment brush can probably cover 80%-90% of routine stuff.

Bring on the pic, and let's see what we've got to work with ... i.e. easy, challenging or disastrous.

Edited on Apr 09, 2013 at 08:27 AM · View previous versions

Apr 09, 2013 at 08:04 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

WAYCOOL wrote:

The only way to find out if there is information, is to try it.

Apr 09, 2013 at 08:24 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

Allynb wrote:
The only way to find out if there is information, is to try it.

I think it was the "Done." aspect that was perceived as rather presumptuous ... although, I figure you meant it as referring to the expediency & simplicity of using the adjustment brush for the most typical scenarios/instances. 80%-90% of the time, it might be that simple, but that doesn't quite make it the foregone conclusion suggested by the emphatic of "Done." ... especially, sight unseen.

Apr 09, 2013 at 08:37 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

Of course it doesn't make it the final solution. I was referring to the simplicity of the tool offered in PS.
Allan

Apr 09, 2013 at 10:55 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

Still no image? I guess not everyone is a visual person. You just can't throw words at visual problems, can you?

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

its the internet...anything is possible. Its another case of hit and run...he probably posted this on many sites and got the answer from the one he usually hangs on. only has 4 posts on FM

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:20 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

RustyBug wrote:
I think it was the "Done." aspect that was perceived as rather presumptuous ... although, I figure you meant it as referring to the expediency & simplicity of using the adjustment brush for the most typical scenarios/instances. 80%-90% of the time, it might be that simple, but that doesn't quite make it the foregone conclusion suggested by the emphatic of "Done." ... especially, sight unseen.

Thanks RustyBug, Couldn't have said it better myself.

The OP had a question about a specific file, a smart ass general answer may or may not be the solution. Being a wedding photographer it could be assumed that something as simple as a brushed on exposure adjustment was within his skill set. To give a truly useful answer one would need to see the raw file. The definitive "Done." is what gave the impression of a smart ass answer.

Probably dose not matter as Sonny said could be a drive by and we will never see the raw.

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:38 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

Sorry guys, the Powerball bit seemed like a smartass response without offering any better advice

It's hard to do anything more if the OP doesn't show us the picture.

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:51 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

scottam10 wrote:
Sorry guys, the Powerball bit seemed like a smartass response without offering any better advice

No worries, nothing to be sorry about.

Powerball might have been a bit snarky maybe, but I'd imagine it was meant in good spirited fun, I'm guessing. At least, that' the way I took it.

Too bad the pic never showed up.

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:57 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

I'm good, sometimes I'm funny,sometimes I'm just an ass its often hard to tell the difference

Apr 09, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Over exposed from flash bouquet toss, please help!!

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1203536

Apr 09, 2013 at 08:23 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.