Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question about results from Dot Tune AF adjusting

bipock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about results from Dot Tune AF adjusting

I had the chance yesterday to get my new 7100 and 500 and tcs out to do some AF testing. I was expecting excellent results from the bare 500, pretty good results from the 1.4x combo and mediocre results from the 1.7x combo. Much to my surprise, they're all very good to my eye.

When I did the DT AF method, rather than shooting a chart, I picked a stationary object in the yard and used it as the focal point for all the testing. This object was in direct sunlight and just under infinity focus. My results shocked me a little, so I was curious if they shocked any of you.

After taking the high/low midpoint, my adjustments were as follows:

Bare 500 - -5
500 w/1.4x - -3
500 w/1.7x - -2

They are all right there together but, based on my reading here and elsewhere, I really expected them to have some significant differences.

Apr 08, 2013 at 12:50 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about results from Dot Tune AF adjusting

Why are these numbers shocking? Are you saying that your results (sharpness) before and after AF Fine tune is no different?

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:04 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about results from Dot Tune AF adjusting

My 1.4x changes the MA setting just a few points, too. I think it's a good thing.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

james.d53
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about results from Dot Tune AF adjusting

I'm glad you were able to get a result!

I attempted to Dot Tune my D800 / 300 2.8 VRII combo and could never get a high point. I started at 0 and found the low point at -7, but could not get it to flicker all the way to +20. I also tried my 14-24 and had the same problem. ??

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:16 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about results from Dot Tune AF adjusting

lara_ckl wrote:
Why are these numbers shocking? Are you saying that your results (sharpness) before and after AF Fine tune is no different?

Little different but not much given the smallish change from 0. I think I was more shocked after reading comments, that the 1.7x was able to adjusted so little (less than the bare 500) as was the 1.4x.

I guess I would have thought the TCs would have required a more significant adjustment.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:21 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about results from Dot Tune AF adjusting

bipock wrote:
Little different but not much given the smallish change from 0. I think I was more shocked after reading comments, that the 1.7x was able to adjusted so little (less than the bare 500) as was the 1.4x.

I guess I would have thought the TCs would have required a more significant adjustment.

That's why you should never believe anything you read on the internet.

Ideally, all lenses and TC should not require any AF fine tune. But, in the real world, given countless variables, some fine tuning is required. That's what AF fine tune is there for.

Each lens and each lens+TC combo is different. No reason why lens+TC17 should require more fine tune than lens+TC14.

Naked 500 should give you better IQ than 500+TC14 and 500+TC14 should give you better IQ than 500+TC17. That has nothing to do with AF fine tuning.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password