Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Metal wall for photo display?

jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Metal wall for photo display?

While chatting with a fellow photographer last year, she reported that instead of framing her prints for display in her home, she has a wall covered in metal and attaches the prints with rare earth magnets. This allows for a very easy, fluid way to display images. The idea stuck with me, and I am now thinking about doing the same thing. Does anyone have any experience with this method of displaying prints? The hard part obviously is getting the metal on the wall, no idea how to do this. The best I have come up with so far is a large magnetic white board.

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Shhboom

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Metal wall for photo display?

You may want to check out the new paint technology which includes magnetic friendly paints...

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:03 AM
jjnyc

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Metal wall for photo display?

cover your wall with magnet material. Comes in rolls 24"-39". coat it with adhesive and cover wall. you can then cover that with wall paper, if you like. Or you can place smaller patches of magnet say 16x20 and change up images as you like.
Now the print part, take any type of print, inkjet or c-print and mount it to magnetic receptor paper. this is a thin paper with a metal backing, also flexible. doesn't add any real thickness to the print. Or depending who does your printing you can print direct to the receptor paper. The paper come in rolls up to 60"wide.
this has become a very common way of doing displays in the retail world. they change out graphics every month, so its easy for store employees to change and no need to bring in an installer.
In the studio we have a metal wall, made of sheet metal and painted. we use this to view prints on. Just hold them to the wall with magnets. Just like a refrigerator.
hope this helps

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:01 AM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Metal wall for photo display?

This is great, I imagined having to get a brushed stainless steel wall for mucho dinero. Thanks for the idea!

Apr 11, 2013 at 06:36 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Metal wall for photo display?

Galvanized sheet metal, from a HVAC supplier, is what I'd use. Mount the sheet to wooden shims, and consider "folding" a safety edge on the sheets. You will need strong magnets to overcome paper weight and paper curl. See this thread on Lula:

This thread discussed the sheet metal "bulletin board" and sources of magnets:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=74536.0

Apr 11, 2013 at 07:27 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Metal wall for photo display?

jstephens62 wrote:
This is great, I imagined having to get a brushed stainless steel wall for mucho dinero. Thanks for the idea!

Don't do that, even if you do decide you want 'the look' of stainless. Good stainless steel isn't magnetic.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.