Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Going to Ireland in June

zappahead
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Going to Ireland in June

Hi all as the headline state the wife and I are off to Ireland in June. I'm sure there are many suggestions as to where we should visit. So please fire away. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Apr 08, 2013 at 12:17 PM
RichCoyle
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Going to Ireland in June

All of the typical locations: Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, Aran Islands, Cobh, Cilffs of Moher, Galway City (have somebody point out the Claddagh while you're there), Devil's Causeway, Dublin City. I love County Donegal, myself.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:56 PM
zappahead
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Going to Ireland in June

Thanks, anyone else

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:02 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Going to Ireland in June

Like Rich said... and my favorite places for photography are in and around Killarney (close to Dingle and the Ring of Kerry), and then up the coast to the Burren and Galway. The further north and west you go the more rugged and quiet it gets... Donegal is spectacular, as is the very northern coast as you come around into Ulster. Have a GREAT trip!

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Going to Ireland in June

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/839155/0?keyword=ireland#7815677

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:43 AM
Razor17
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Going to Ireland in June

You can go where they filmed The Quiet Man. Check it out on UTube....

Have a great time...

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zappahead
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Going to Ireland in June

Thanks for everyone's time in replying with your knowledge.

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:55 PM
David Kirsch
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Going to Ireland in June

Sent PM

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:35 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Going to Ireland in June

You already have the advice for where, but I have to tell you how I lost some manhood and self esteem there last September.

Rented a cheap Euro Ford in Dublin to drive the basic southern loop to Galway. First time driving on the wrong side of the road. I learned to drive back in '63 on a 56 Merc that was about 10 feet wide, 3 speed with no power steering. I've driven everything since - cycles, big trucks, farm machinery, even a brief stint behind the helm of a Navy destroyer. No problem, I thought.

Wrong, I learned! I flattened two tires and messed up the spare rim on the first day, while my wife had a nervous breakdown riding in the passenger seat. Fear of crossing the center line into oncoming traffic (on very narrow roads) makes you hug the left edge of the road, and that left edge is full of hazards.

Now, to my credit, everything I hit would have been a minor bump with no problem in my nice American SUV with big tires. But the tires on that cheap Ford could not survive a 4 inch rock, or a 3 inch curb, or even a minor pothole. Even at a measly 40 MPH. Blew out the sidewalls.

First time, the lug wrench of the cheap Ford broke immediately. Had to call the Irish AAA. They led me to a shop that sold me a new tire and mounted it in less than 30 minutes. Second time we were in the middle of nowhere. Took over an hour to flag down someone with another Ford to borrow a lug wrench. Turns out the Euro Ford had American sized lug nuts and every other car in Ireland has metric.

Got the spare on, dinged it good a little while later, but made it to town to buy another new tire. This time I chatted with the mechanics and they laughed. Said they do a lot of business putting new tires on rentals driven by Americans.

I gave up and let the wife drive for the rest of the trip. She did OK because she drove like a snail and would even come to complete stop when meeting an oncoming truck or bus. And I learned how nerve wrecking it is to be the passenger. It took 3 more full days before we both calmed down enough to enjoy the trip.

Here is a vision of the experience.
http://kellyphoto.smugmug.com/My-Artistic-Stuff/Ireland/i-fckbKRx/0/L/ire183v1-L.jpg

And for what it's worth, here is a link to a map of our route.
Route Map

My wife planned the route using Rick Steves guidebook, which was very good. It has lots of good tips and insider info. Like drive the Ring of Kerry clockwise, starting in the southeast early in the morning because all the huge tour buses drive counter clockwise from the north.

My Ireland gallery:
http://kellyphoto.smugmug.com/My-Artistic-Stuff/Ireland/

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:32 AM
markcapilitan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Going to Ireland in June

Where are you going in our lovely country?
We have stunning rugged places, a lot you have to find!
Sligo, the north-west.

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:51 AM
zappahead
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Going to Ireland in June

I will be post our route soon for further comment
Thanks to everyone

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password