Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

Canon SX50 HS delivers pretty nice results. SOOC except for the border.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:11 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

What happens to the noise when you increase the ISO to reduce the motion blur? How high is acceptable?

EBH

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:21 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

Not sure EBH. This shot is by my wife. I asked her the question and she said she has not tried that yet.

My guess is that it may not hold much detail beyond ISO - 400 ? As it is I find it a touch over sharpened.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:25 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

In all honesty if I were to start bird pictures today I'd get this.

Weight is equal to the difference between the 600mm IS II & 800mm IS.

Cost is half that of the difference between the 600mm IS II & 800mm IS.

Not to mention easily disposable.

Sure it will be near impossible to do birds in flight and it shutter delay is not equal to a 1 Series but just for fun this is pretty good.

Apr 08, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

sritri wrote:
Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

Somehow the camera has transferred the red from the belly to the crest. Not sure if that is a desirable optical behaviour. But possibly it is a fault of the film processor.

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:04 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

Good one Monito

Paolo - You are absolutely right. In flight shots are near impossible on this. I used all of 20 mins and I could not figure out how to disable the AF via face recognition thingy But as you say, for fun it is good.

Apr 09, 2013 at 09:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dolina
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

sritri wrote:
Paolo - You are absolutely right. In flight shots are near impossible on this. I used all of 20 mins and I could not figure out how to disable the AF via face recognition thingy But as you say, for fun it is good.

From my point of view with so many righteous indignation types "liberating" your photos for their causes it does not make any economic sense to invest so much money on birding gear.

I may as well put the money towards a 911.

I apologize for the rather strong language but steams me to no end that I cant sue em for fear of bad PR.

May 17, 2013 at 05:09 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

I found the IQ on mine to be poor above ISO 200, but it was usable to ISO 800 if I did not mind losing a lot of Detail. I think that the camera produces good shots for the price, but my large hands were always pressing too many of the wrong buttons, so I returned it.

I'm waiting for a touch screen model that I might be able to use. A replacement announcement is rumored for next week, so we'll see if it has a touch screen and maybe GPS.

With such a long telephoto, I kept pulling the camera off the subject as I pressed the shutter button.

A little practice and zooming out a bit helps.

May 18, 2013 at 03:04 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

Seems to have back focussed

May 18, 2013 at 03:20 AM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

I liked mine a lot, but simply couldn't handle the low-res viewfinder. It somehow seemed worse than the SX40, even though I suspect it's the same one. But I had no serious complaints about the shots, especially considering the price.

May 18, 2013 at 03:20 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

sritri wrote:
Seems to have back focussed

Its pretty slow focus, and leaning a 1/2 inch toward or away from the subject can cause the focus to be off a little.

The camera uses contrast detect autofocus, so front or back focus is not a issue, but handholding a 1200mm equivalent focal length is a issue.

Carrying a tripod around for a P&S defeats the purpose, but a monopod would help for long focal lengths.

May 19, 2013 at 01:08 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon SX50 HS - Red Bellied WP

I took one to NYC and was actually impressed. This shot is un-cropped, hand held while on a moving boat and at dusk for the harbour lights tour. I can't tell you how far the lens was extended as the EXIF seems a bit screwed up but as the shot isn't cropped, this is a long ways into the telephoto range...

May 19, 2013 at 03:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password