Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help with new bag

Tom Harpstead
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Help with new bag

I am really pleased with the space in my 4 million dollar home for my M4/3 gear. GX1, 20mm, 45 macro, 7-14mm, a set of extension tubes, spare battery, charger, mini tripod and my elmer 5cm.

I will be adding to my M4/3 a second GX1 body (converted to IR), so I am thinking I will need a bigger bag.

Will I be as pleased with a 5 million dollar home or wanting more space if I add a lens or two?

Thanks in advance for the input

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:38 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Help with new bag

what does this even mean?

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:03 PM
gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Help with new bag

killersnowman wrote:
what does this even mean?

They are photo bag models. Google them.

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Help with new bag

If it were me, I'd spring fro the 6mil as it is significantly larger than your 4mil but still a light compact bag. Why? It will take a 5D2 lens down with battery grip. Not really configured right for wee cameras tho'. For M4/3 I'd want something with more and smaller compartments.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #5 · Help with new bag

Thanks Gochugogi,

I am a little concerned by the ability to compartmentalize the 5 million bag, just not thrilled by the bigger size of the 6 million bag.

Thomas

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #6 · Help with new bag

Update ....

After many back and forth emails with crumpler, I believe my bag requirements will be best meet with an other brand.

Thomas

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #7 · Help with new bag

Check out Kata Bags or perhaps Tamrac.

Surely not all of your gear needs to be in a padded compartment, and some zippered pockets will suffice?

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:50 AM
carnac
• •
p.1 #8 · Help with new bag

Also check out Think Tank bags - some of the best quality and very well thought-out bags around. Worth a look at their web site to see if they have something that suits your needs. (I have a couple of the Retrospective bags in the Pinestone color - very happy with them).

Jim

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Help with new bag

I concur, the Retrospect 7 might tickle the pickle of a wee camera toting dude: looks like a weathered army medic bag and not a Murse and has pockets 'n zippered slots up the ying-yang. The Retrospect 5 is probably ideal for a M4/3 system but the tiny size makes it look like a woman's purse. The R10 might be too tall (takes my 5D2/70-200 4L lens down).

Heck I even wrote a review on the R7:

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/thinktank_retrospect7.htm

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #10 · Help with new bag

Gochugogi,

That is great review, thank you for sharing.

Thomas

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Help with new bag

Gochugogi wrote:
I concur, the Retrospect 7 might tickle the pickle of a wee camera toting dude: looks like a weathered army medic bag and not a Murse and has pockets 'n zippered slots up the ying-yang. The Retrospect 5 is probably ideal for a M4/3 system but the tiny size makes it look like a woman's purse. The R10 might be too tall (takes my 5D2/70-200 4L lens down).

Heck I even wrote a review on the R7:

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/thinktank_retrospect7.htm

Thanks for the review.
Have you used any of the similar styled Lowepro shoulder bags? Lowepro Pro Messenger or Classified. If you have used any of those, what's the difference ?
I think it's rather difficult to get a grip on the Retrospect bags when looking at the Thinktank website. Mainly because they have at least 25 different Retrospect bags

Apr 11, 2013 at 07:03 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Help with new bag

Sorry, I seem to have a thing for TT Retrospect, Billingham, and Domke. Lowepro and Tamrac bags have never worked for me. The Retrospect series are very consistent in feel and design: they're merely sized differently. There are only seven basic models--5, 7, 10, 20, 30, 40 & 50--with three color/fabric options. That adds up to a mere 21 models plus 2 lens changer bags...

Apr 12, 2013 at 06:45 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Help with new bag

I also like TT and have a lot of their bags. But I only have backpacks from them. And that's why I also like to have one smaller shoulder bag.

Apr 12, 2013 at 06:59 AM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #14 · Help with new bag

So here is what I did, I bought a ThinkTank Retrospective 7 and I think it is the right size, some room to grow. Does not look like a camera bag, but just a hint of "Murse" but the Pinestone color off sets that a lot. Thank you every one, you all offered me great insight.

Thomas

EDIT:
I think I would need an other divider to keep the two bodies separate. I offered to buy one from thinktank but they just shipped me one. I think thinktank's customer service is the best that i have encountered.

Thomas

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:50 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Help with new bag

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I also like TT and have a lot of their bags. But I only have backpacks from them. And that's why I also like to have one smaller shoulder bag.

I'm a big fan of TT's "speed" line of waist packs... tuck away the waist straps and you have a shoulder bag, albeit an unusually-shaped one. I used both a Speed Racer and Speed Freak depending on how much gear I'm carrying, and 80% of the time I use them as basic shoulder bags. The waist straps come out if I'm walking a lot or need a solid platform to work from without having to put the bag down.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Help with new bag

I like the Lowepro AW Pro Messenger Camera Bags. They have 3 different sizes

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:24 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password