Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Silver Apron panorama

Myxine
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Silver Apron panorama

Hi there,
It's been a while i haven't submitted a picture here, but i also think comments and criticisms could help me improve faster than my actual pace.
So here it is. I was in Yosemite a week ago and wanted to test my brand new D800 while there. I just had one lens, a 50mm which was an interesting challenge. I took this 4 pictures panorama shot of the Silver Apron, above Vernal falls

The picture is obviously much much bigger and has lots of details than what can be seen on a website. Thought i would share anyway cause i loved the place. Impressive in Spring.

Thanks for viewing

Arnaud

D 800e - 50mm - 3 or 4 pano shots

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Silver Apron panorama

This forum really perplexes me sometimes. Two days and 181 views after posting, and nobody has taken you up on your request for C&C.

Anyway, you did a good job of stitching together this pano; I don't see any seams in it. Your choice of B&W was probably a good one, since this scene probably didn't have a lot of color going for it, and those massive slabs of rock are quite striking against the bright tones of the water. The composition and overall tonality are kind of pulling this picture apart, however. The composition places two large bright areas at either side of the frame, and neither of them contains much in the way of texture. It seems to me that the right 1/3 of the image contains the most visual interest. If you could crop down to that part and bring back some detail in both the highlights and the shadows, I suspect that you would have a much more compelling image.

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:47 PM
B.Williams

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Silver Apron panorama

Love this hike, I've had a picnic just about where you took this from. Yosemite is a special place, I am headed back there for the first time in a few years next month and this image has me excited! Thanks for sharing. Did you head further uphill? The views from the top of both Vernal and Nevada Falls are definitely worth the effort. I agree with the above poster, cropping the left third off might make a more appealing image.

BW

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Myxine
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Silver Apron panorama

Thank you both for your comments. I have actually a cropped version that leaves out the left side, starting with that V shape in the stream, too. It seems like a good idea indeed

BW: I hiked all the way indeed. Quite strenuous but the view was amazing. The falls were roaring

Apr 09, 2013 at 05:35 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Silver Apron panorama

Phrasikleia wrote:
This forum really perplexes me sometimes. Two days and 181 views after posting, and nobody has taken you up on your request for C&C.

Well, it perplexes me, too. I just recently yanked out my post after one hundred looks within two hours and not a single comment. Really frustrating at times.

On a subject, though:
The picture is good as an exercise in pano stitching and b/w conversion, but the composition is confusing. A lot of white on the left pulls attention from the falls while they supposed to be the main interest. There are rules of third that are really helpful for composing, so per these rules, try to crop the left side to bring attention to the falls, and also try to bring out the structure of the water, because right now it is featureless. All the visual information you need is there, in your file, you just need to extract it in post-processing. Try highlights/shadows adjustment, should help.

Apr 09, 2013 at 06:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Silver Apron panorama

No surprise about the lack of C&C. The OP did not ask for such input. The comment was thanks for looking.

I long since learned my lesson about offering unsolicited comments. Even when solicited comments are risky.

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:33 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Silver Apron panorama

Camperjim wrote:
The OP did not ask for such input. The comment was thanks for looking.

Jim, actually, OP started the post by soliciting the comments and critique. Here:
It's been a while i haven't submitted a picture here, but i also think comments and criticisms could help me improve faster than my actual pace.

Sasha.

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Silver Apron panorama

The comments varies..not just by quality...but also by time of day ...who is busy who is not etc. Why would you yank something if you received 100 views in 2 hours? where else would you get that type of exposure. now that its yanked..we'll never know what it was.

90% of the people don't comment because they don't want to offend by saying i don't like it or it sucks etc..u get the drift. Unless you're an established member/photographer...one doesn't get comments unless you're seeing as commenting on other peoples work also. If you just expect to post something and you don't comment...the community will treat you as such.

i haven't posted anything new in the past 9 months...but i do take the effort and time to comment and critique on other peoples work.

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:16 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Silver Apron panorama

Sunny, you are right, there are probably times when forum members are out shooting and lurkers are lurking Usually happens on a weekend - Saturday afternoons are usually very quiet.

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password