Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Equipment Insurance Question

RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Equipment Insurance Question

My 70-200 tumbled out of my bag at a wedding a couple weeks ago, and I had been relying on PPA's "free" $15,000 gear insurance, but now I'm finding out that I have to file a claim through my homeowners insurance before anything from their policy would kick in, making their policy virtually useless! I don't want to file through my homeowners insurance as that will raise my rates etc. and this is a business loss, not a personal one.
Does anyone have any experience with Hill and Usher, or other Insurance carrier, that does not involve filing a claim through a homeowners policy?

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:16 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Equipment Insurance Question

I've been with H&U since day 2005. The Total Choice Package is their policy for photogs thru The Hartford. To this day I have not had a loss, happy with the coverage I have. Hopefully if I ever have a loss it will be painless.

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:28 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Equipment Insurance Question

Homeowners insurance does not cover your business equipment getting damaged outside of home. They should know that

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:34 PM
CraigB1960

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Equipment Insurance Question

RJKphoto wrote:
My 70-200 tumbled out of my bag at a wedding a couple weeks ago, and I had been relying on PPA's "free" $15,000 gear insurance, but now I'm finding out that I have to file a claim through my homeowners insurance before anything from their policy would kick in, making their policy virtually useless! I don't want to file through my homeowners insurance as that will raise my rates etc. and this is a business loss, not a personal one.
Does anyone have any experience with Hill and Usher, or other Insurance carrier, that does not involve filing a claim through
...Show more

That is strange, not sure why a business insurance company would even suggest you file under homeowners.

I have a policy through CNA, it is a very comprehensive plan, I believe they are the underwriters for PPA. I would tell them to pound sand if they suggested that to me.

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:23 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Equipment Insurance Question

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'd just give them an ear full about how I joined to get the coverage, and now they're reneging on their policies. I'd also tell them what Kurtis said - that you can't insure it on your homeowners; so why would you claim it? Push PPA until they do the right thing.

Have you tried contacting your homeowners to ask if they will file a report for you; without any change in your policy? Maybe PPA just needs some kind of official written "report" from a third party?

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:49 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Equipment Insurance Question

Tell them you don't own your home and don't have homeowners? This makes no sense at all. I don't see how the two are related at all.

Apr 07, 2013 at 09:42 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Equipment Insurance Question

Any idea what y'all are paying for equipment coverage per $1000 value?

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:30 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Equipment Insurance Question

that certainly doesn't make one bit of sense at all for them to tell you that

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:56 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Equipment Insurance Question

It's right in the fine print in the claim form. They want my homeowners policy number as well as the claim number. PPA wants me to renew, but this may be the dealbreaker. The insurance is worthless if I have to make other claims first. I'll put the $360 into Hill&Usher insurance, it's a better deal and a hell of a lot more straightforward. Nowhere in the PPA opt-in info is any of the above BS mentioned!

Apr 08, 2013 at 12:34 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Equipment Insurance Question

Just because there's a box for you to put it in, doesn't mean its required info... Not everyone has a homeowners policy. It seems like you might be reading into this wrong. Is your PPA membership lapsed? Have you talked to them about it?

FWIW, I've never been a PPA member for the equipment insurance. It's only been around a short while and its more of a "bonus" than a real hefty equipment insurance policy. The real big value of PPA membership is the indemnification trust and retained lawyers. It's hard to find that kind of "malpractice" coverage anywhere because general liability typically doesn't cover what the indemnification trust does. And no liability policy is going to have you on te phone with a lawyer experienced in the industry, willing to go to court to defend you against a crazy client looking to sue you for all you're worth over something minor like missing a certain shot.

Apr 08, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Equipment Insurance Question

D. Diggler wrote:
Any idea what y'all are paying for equipment coverage per $1000 value?

Right at $50 per $1k... from Marsh.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:47 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Equipment Insurance Question

RJKphoto wrote:
It's right in the fine print in the claim form. They want my homeowners policy number as well as the claim number. PPA wants me to renew, but this may be the dealbreaker. The insurance is worthless if I have to make other claims first. I'll put the $360 into Hill&Usher insurance, it's a better deal and a hell of a lot more straightforward. Nowhere in the PPA opt-in info is any of the above BS mentioned!

They're probably just making sure it's not already covered. Ignore the claim number box.

BTW, I'd go with Marsh before I'd go with H&U; but that's a phone call and decision for you to make.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Equipment Insurance Question

As an insurance agent and photog, I'm especially irritated to read this. HO insurance definitely doesn't cover business property. As soon as an adjuster hears that you make money with the damaged equipment, or that it was off premises, it's an automatic denial.

An org as big as the PPA most definitely knows that. That's ridiculous.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:46 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Equipment Insurance Question

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
As an insurance agent and photog

What's with the high deductibles some insurers have? My insurer raised the deductible for theft to $1000; basically someone can grab one of my nice lenses when my back is turned and I'm just out.

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:38 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Equipment Insurance Question

For what it's worth my deductible with CNA is $250. I had 20k in gear stolen and they replaced everything (actually newer versions of bodies stolen even). Obviously it was still a nightmare to have that happen, but they made it so much less painful than it would have been.

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:16 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Equipment Insurance Question

TTLKurtis wrote:
For what it's worth my deductible with CNA is $250. I had 20k in gear stolen and they replaced everything (actually newer versions of bodies stolen even). Obviously it was still a nightmare to have that happen, but they made it so much less painful than it would have been.

Do you have soem kind of liability through them as well?

brad

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:27 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Equipment Insurance Question

TTLKurtis wrote:
my deductible with CNA is $250

Any idea what is the cost per hundred or thousand of theft coverage?

Apr 08, 2013 at 05:28 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Equipment Insurance Question

I have Business Equipment, Commercial Auto, Liability / E&O through CNA.

I pay about $285/mo for all that, with upwards of 40k in gear insured and some pretty hefty coverage all-around.

I work with Kevin Semtner at Walthall Sachse & Pipes Inc. I know he is licensed in a few states but not sure which. Phone 210-384-0000. He was fantastic in getting to understand exactly my needs and making sure I had all bases covered.

Apr 08, 2013 at 05:48 AM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Equipment Insurance Question

sivrajbm wrote:
I've been with H&U since day 2005. The Total Choice Package is their policy for photogs thru The Hartford. To this day I have not had a loss, happy with the coverage I have. Hopefully if I ever have a loss it will be painless.

Another H&U customer!

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:05 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Equipment Insurance Question

This is from the claim letter. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

"Coverage provided under the PhotoCare plans is excess to any other coverage available to you, which means recovery under this insurance is only available after you have settled with your homeowners, renters or any other applicable insurer. You will need to account for any recovery you receive from your other insurance before we can make an offer under this coverage."

"Supplying documentation from your insurance company showing the amount paid for your photo equipment. The amount of your deductible also needs to be indicated.
If your property insurance does not cover your photo equipment, you need to provide a copy of the written denial of coverage from your carrier"

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:31 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password