Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

It's been a while since I posted some shots. After some back & forth negotiating, I'm back with the SWB RailRiders (NY Yankees AAA Affiliate). After a $43 million renovation to the stadium...it looks great but from a photographers perspective, I found it to be more challenging from the old one.

Here are some from opening night and also some from my first college softball for the season. C&C always welcome.

1 - Reggie Jackson who was on hand for the first pitch is talking to some reporters in the dugout.

2 - Hal Steinbrenner (NY Yankees Owner) address the crown at PNC Field.

3 - Reggie Jackson sandwiched between CHAMP and Quills.

4 - The First Pitch - a shot the team wanted which they sent right to the printer and handed 8x10's out to all fans leaving.

5 - Another shot the team wanted for their "Front Office" decor.

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

6 - Catcher Austin Romine throws to second during pitcher warm-ups.

7 - Starting Pitcher Vidal Nuno.

8 - Relief Pitcher Preston Claiborne.

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Thanks For Looking.

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:58 AM
zSCOTTz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Nice shots Frank.

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:45 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Frank Lauri wrote:
C&C always welcome

Love #11.

But I don't get #4, especially as a instant print for every fan in attendance (except judging from the photo, that was only around 27 people )... just kidding. But IMHO it's too wide to show any action or even context of what the story is supposed to be. Can't see a pitcher. Can't see a batter. Can't tell what teams are playing. Did it have a border or a title on the print? Not wide enough to give a great fisheye view of the entire ballpark. No dramatic sky or lighting. Very little that you had control over. But after seeing years of your great work, this isn't the one shot that I would want every fan to take home.

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:48 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

I would have tried to go a bit wider on #4 unless that's what they wanted. And on #5 the fact that it's not in the dead center is bugging the perfectionist/OCD side of me, but great excution

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Clarence....unfortunately this wasn't a shot about attendance, action, who the players are what teams are playing the type of lens or dramatic skies or lighting. This was a shot where the team president said I want the first pitch of the game from CF and we will be sending it to the printer right after it's shot...to give to the fans as the are leaving.

The field went thru a $44 million dollar renovation where the team played all of their games on the road last year and this was their return home, inaugural season with a new team name, stadium, president etc. Sorry it didn't appeal to you but they are the paying client and I try to give them what they want (within reason). I'm attaching a "poor" scan of what they gave to the fans. It did have a 3/8" border around the image.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

gome....thanks. That was the width they wanted after they looked at a few test shots of the field. On #5 I had no room to my right. I was right against the press box wall.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:17 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Frank Lauri wrote:
Clarence....unfortunately this wasn't a shot about attendance, action, who the players are what teams are playing the type of lens or dramatic skies or lighting. This was a shot where the team president said I want the first pitch of the game from CF

Understood. That's exactly what I thought happened... someone at a high level had a vision. And you dutifully delivered what he asked for.

I didn't intend to upset you. I wasn't criticizing your skills, I only intended to sympathize that the boss's "vision" would result in a snapshot that would look like what any fan in CF could capture on their cell phone.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Clarence....not upset by any means....probably should have supplied that info from the beginning but I didn't want to get too winded.

Some humor in that shot was I was in the hitters eye and the umps had to call time....send the CF'er out to tell me to leave.

I thought it was funny because all my friends who were there in the stands and knew I was shooting the game let my phone up with texts wanting to know if it was me out there holding up the game.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:41 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Frank, nice to see your baseball back "in the swing". When I saw the first image, I thought Reggie was coaching or something, which made me wonder why I didn't know he was doing this.

Good mix of action and off-field shots. Thanks for sharing.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Well done Frank, excellent variety!

Ted

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Frank, I bet you're excited for the new season- good to hear you were a part of the inaugural game, clogging up the hitter's eye, haha.

Looking good on your first baseball post this year- that handout comes together nicely with the added embellishments. So are there more obstacles to you setting up for shots, or longer hikes to get to your spots? Damn bummer they spent $43M and didn't consult with you.

Btw, that girl in #11 could use a baseball cap...

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Like riding a bike, eh Frank? Great set of images, your experience and talent shining through it all. Must feel great to get back out to the park. FWIW, I kinda like that #5 isn't perfectly centered/symmetrical, and there are some great softball shots here (though I think I would have cropped out the top of the wall in that shot where the player could use a cap ).

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Were you using that pop-up flash Frank?

Nice work, understand you had to deliver the client's wishes. Nice softball too, oh that day-glo ball...

Chris

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:59 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting.

Dennis - Thanks. I knew he was doing to be there - it was a pretty publicized thing but I was really surprised to see how open he was to everyone that came up to talk to him.

Tom....Yeah - that first night really is busy. They did not design anything there with the photographer in mind. For instance - in the photo wells, one has to be 6'3" to shoot over the top of the rail. I had to stand on a 50lb. bag of field dry to get my lens over the top. Plus now one can walk entirely around the outside of OF fence.

Of the cap's...for some reason they aren't required to wear them. Sometimes they will wear a visor type and then when it warms up....they wear shorts. I think it's kinda funny....these girls have loads of energy. They cheer from the time the game starts to the final pitch. It tires me out just hearing them

Russ - yeah...after them being away all last year I got to see some friends again. On #5...to get that shot dead center....I would have had to go into the press box. And that is one area they fell short. It has to be only half the size it was in the old park. It was so crowded with media and TV stuff there was no way I was going in there and fight thru that crowd.

On #11...I was really on the fence with that one (Just kidding of course). I did a re-crop - let me know what you think.

Chris....yeah and the yellow ball...right? Make them all one color.

Thanks again
Frank

11a - Re-Crop.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:42 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Very nice set, Frank. Was #8 shot from the stands? It looks like a much higher perspective.

Bill

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:09 PM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Good work Frank. Love the variety of shots.

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FINALLY, Some Baseball

Tim & Bill....thanks much for checking in and the comments.

Bill - Yep....I was in the stands. They want shots from all different areas and angles and I was actually on my way out on this one. Unless something changes...the rest of the games I shoot should be from the field level.

Apr 08, 2013 at 05:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password