Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · D800 low hit rate with AF-C single point (focus priority,...

Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · D800 low hit rate with AF-C single point (focus priority, AF-ON only)

It's possible that the AF would be more consistent if you always approached the correct focus from too far away or always from too close rather than from just anywhere. So perhaps let it AF, then manually tweak to make it focus a little closer, and then repeat the AF. This is not how you would want to have to work with AF but it might be more consistent.

There might be a misalignment between the focus screen AF sensor positions and the actual AF sensor positions, beyond the usual shape and size discrepancies (the AF sensors are not squares but are lines or crosses, and are usually taller and wider than the squares indicate).

- Alan

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:08 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.2 #2 · D800 low hit rate with AF-C single point (focus priority, AF-ON only)

m_appeal wrote:
I'm finding it's too jumpy on certain subjects and produces OOF shots.

When you are shooting portraits, are you holding AF-On at the time that you press the shutter?

On my D800, I use AF-C all the time and AF-On only. When shooting a static subject, I press AF-On only to establish focus, release that button, then shoot. My take is if you are pressing it and the AF engine is active at the time of shutter release, focus is not quite as good and you don't need to be doing that for a static subject.

As far as the release priority, on the D800 that really only comes into play if you are holding AF-On at the same time you are pressing the shutter. If you press AF-On and let it go then press the shutter it doesn't matter what release mode you have set because it will fire.

What trenchmonkey says is right on with respect to moving targets: If you have a1 set to focus priority and you are mashing the AF-On button trying to track a moving subject and pressing the shutter at the same time, you are increasing your chances of missing the moment because it will wait until it feels it is in focus.

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:36 PM
m_appeal
• • •
p.2 #3 · D800 low hit rate with AF-C single point (focus priority, AF-ON only)

I do use AF-ON only. I will try relase priority, but I'm not really sure it will result in substantially less OOf shots (I think I already tried).

Apr 08, 2013 at 05:38 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.2 #4 · D800 low hit rate with AF-C single point (focus priority, AF-ON only)

Do you hold AF-On at the time you press the shutter? I don't recommend doing that for photos of static subjects. Press AF-On to focus and then let go before pressing the shutter. Note changing the release priority will only do anything if you are holding AF-On while pressing the shutter button.

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password