Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Smesh

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

First of all, let me say that this is not my first post, but I forgot my password and now I can't log in or find a lost password button, so I had to start a new account. :/

I have two Pocketwizard Flex TT5's. I had a third Flex, a Mini TT1, and an AC3 controller, but I had a bunch of gear stolen (no insurance) and I'm replacing gear.

I have the CE versions, since they don't have the problem with Canon interference.

I am trying to decide if I should order more PW's, but they will not work with my Canon 6D. They haven't given any indication when they will provide a firmware update, and they will not even fire my speedlites manually right now. So I'm very frustrated, since the 622c's and others seem to be available and working with the 6D already. I don't get why a company like PW that is supposed to be the leader hasn't provided an update yet.

I originally came from straight up triggers and ran my flashes in manual, and found the PW's a bit complicated to control. I also use rear curtain sync a lot and found the PW's buggy for that. I always ended up just using a cut cable and RJ45 cable to extend my flash and handheld it events.

So my question is, should I just give up on PW's and use the Yongnuo 622c's? I can probably get $400 used for the pair, and with that cash, buy four 622's and have $200 left to stick in to a lens or something. I currently have two 580 EX II's left and just bought another 430 EX II.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:08 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Since it is unlawful to use the CE-frequencied PWs in the USA, and since your user information says you're in California, I'd suggest selling your PWs (to a European buyer) and getting the Yongnuos.

I'm loving mine so far, and haven't had any problems with misfires, lack of range, etc. (Although I haven't used them that much, yet.) I especially like the "Mix" mode, where I can combine my 580EX II and 430EX II in ETTL or Manual with my Vivitar 285HVs in (obviously) manually controlled mode.

I love that I don't need any bulky add-on (like an AC3 Zone Controller) to get full group ratio capability, and that everything is controlled by the same camera menus as I've been using all along for the Canon optical wireless system.

Rear curtain sync is a bit wierd, in that you have to turn wireless mode "Off" and manually set the power level(s) of off camera Speedlites, but that's because Canon's flash control menus don't have the rear curtain sync selection enabled for wireless.

Apr 06, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Smesh

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Hi Brian.

I came from Canada, and while the PW's CE versions were apparently not available or licensed for US, I bought the CE on purpose because people weren't having problems with the CE versions and Canon flashes. I never had anyone complain or come to hassle me about any frequencies in the time I sued them, so I don't think I was ever in in jeopardy of being arrested. I really don't know why the frequency was an issue, but adding a sock wasn't even an option when I got mine, and seemed like a really bad solution.

Glad to hear the 622c is a decent alternative. Do you know if I would be losing any features by going to the Yongnuo product? Can I still control studio lights with them?

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:04 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Smesh wrote:
...while the PW's CE versions were apparently not available or licensed for US, I bought the CE on purpose because people weren't having problems with the CE versions and Canon flashes. I never had anyone complain or come to hassle me about any frequencies in the time I sued them, so I don't think I was ever in in jeopardy of being arrested.

Not being arrested is not the same as operating legally. Those frequencies are not legal for use in controling flashes in the USA. Period. End of story.

Smesh wrote:
...I really don't know why the frequency was an issue, but adding a sock wasn't even an option when I got mine, and seemed like a really bad solution.

Some Canon flashes emit radio frequency interference at the PW USA frequency, and can block the receiver from getting a signal if the transmitter is at enough of a distance that the signal strength is reduced. (Which in the case of really bad Speedlites is as little a 20 feet, I'm told.) The "sock" and the later hard shield are used to shield the receiver from the RFI.

Smesh wrote:
...Do you know if I would be losing any features by going to the Yongnuo product? Can I still control studio lights with them?

You can trigger studio strobes with the Yongnuos, but not control them as in adjusting power, changing modeling light mode, etc.

The YN622 has both a hot shoe and a PC jack, so just about any light can be triggered in sync, but as of now full control is only for shoe-mounted Canon-compatible flashes that work with the camera's flash control menu (and of course only with newer cameras that have that menu).

For example, the YN622C has only limited functionality with my 580EX no matter what camera, and my 580EX II and 430EX II can't be fully controlled by a YN622C mounted on my 20D. But if I put the YN622C on my 7D, I have full control of the 580EX II and 430EX II.

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:42 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

I use Microsync radio triggers because they're reliable and extremely simple. Just plug them in and they work. And the range is fine if you're always in the same room as your lights and not firing across a stadium.

The only catch is they're manual only. You have to adjust your settings on the lights themselves.

Apr 14, 2013 at 01:31 PM
Smesh

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

BrianO. I know about the pocketwizard interference issue, which is why i bought and used the CE versions. They don't have the issue. I liken this minor infraction to speeding, which I rarely do, but if you've ever done it in your life, or anything else like it, then it's illegal, period, end of story.

Since I already have two of these left I will either add another Flex and MiniTT1, or flush them and get something else. I'm pretty satisfied with the radio mode on the Canon flashes, but I have to run a cable to one of the OCF's. So if the 622c's will work, I'll go that way.

Swoop, I came from manual, and don't mind it, but have become a bit spoiled by the ability to control them from my camera. I'll definitely look at the Mirosyncs though. Never heard of them before. Thanks.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Smesh wrote:
BrianO. I know about the pocketwizard interference issue, which is why i bought and used the CE versions.

I must have misunderstood your statement that you didn't know why the frequency was an issue, then.

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Smesh

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Yes you must have misunderstood, as I said a couple of times that I bought the CE versions on purpose because of the lack of interference issues with canon flashes. I knew they weren't approved for use in the US, and I didn't care. They work. I'm not suggesting others do it, but I chose to. Now that I have a 6D though, they don't, and neither do the US versions, hence my desire to switch.

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:59 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Smesh wrote:
Yes you must have misunderstood, as I said a couple of times that I bought the CE versions on purpose because of the lack of interference issues with canon flashes.

So then what did you mean when you wrote, "...I really don't know why the frequency was an issue..."?

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Smesh

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

In the same paragraph you quoted above, I wrote: "...while the PW's CE versions were apparently not available or licensed for US, I bought the CE on purpose because people weren't having problems with the CE versions and Canon flashes." I thought it was obvious that the text that followed, meant that I didn't see why the CE frequency made it illegal to use in the US. Perhaps you only read the second half of the paragraph.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:33 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Smesh wrote:
...I thought it was obvious that the text that followed, meant that I didn't see why the CE frequency made it illegal to use in the US. Perhaps you only read the second half of the paragraph.

No, I read it all, but since the "I don't know why..." line included that "the sock wasn't a solution" I thought your question was related to what it was about the radios that was being interfered with.

Okay, now that we have that all sorted out, the reason the CE frequencies aren't lawful for use in the USA is because that frequency band is allocated to other uses here.

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Smesh

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Lol. Obviously it's for other uses. Two way portable radios are supposed to be certain frequencies for civilians as well, yet many are sold to civilians that are slightly different, for longer range, and many people use them.

Instead of playing frequency police, and bantering about why I chose to buy them, and whether or not I'm allowed to use them, how about we stick to the topic and let the frequency issue die? Sound fair?

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:43 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Wow

BrianO I'm sure you helped someone else out who can appreciate what you shared here. I for one understand that you were simply advising just in case it wasn't clearly understood; there's nothing wrong with that.

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:08 AM
Smesh

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

I appreciate his input regarding everything except the very firm comments/opinions regarding frequency legality and the use of the CE versions in the US. No harm, no foul. I'd just prefer to agree to disagree on that issue and move on, and it seemed as I had to be just as firm in my request to end discussion on the matter.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Bottom line: "I decided to use the illegal ones because it suited me. End of story."

Apr 21, 2013 at 07:47 PM
SeedyBee

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

Smesh - I think that the YN-622C would suit you well, but suggest that you buy one pair and play. If you are comfortable with what they can do for you, then proceed to change gear.

You may find "The Other YN-622C User Guide" helpful
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:44 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sell Pocketwizard Flex TT5's and buy Yongnuo 622c's?

SeedyBee wrote:
...You may find "The Other YN-622C User Guide" helpful
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

+1.

Anyone who has -- or is thinking of buying -- the YN622C should download this manual; it's so much better than the one that comes with the radio(s).

Apr 27, 2013 at 09:52 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.