New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sears & Walmart Studio closed down

Ghost
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sears & Walmart Studio closed down

Not sure if this has been posted here. While I am not a fan of these sort of portraiture (although we have had shots done with them as kids!), I do feel sad for the many many workers there. It came so sudden.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/04/05/sears-and-walmart-photo-studios-close-doors

Apr 06, 2013 at 11:25 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sears & Walmart Studio closed down

It actually didn't come sudden at all. If you read the back story, the company has been having trouble for years. Probably mostly due to people like us, aside from their mismanagement.

Apr 06, 2013 at 01:45 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sears & Walmart Studio closed down

Sad for the loss of jobs, some of those did okay work some not so much...

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sears & Walmart Studio closed down

I think people just dont want cheesy studio photos. They rather be outside OR do studio photos that are tastefully done.

Apr 06, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sears & Walmart Studio closed down

I think it is also an issue of cost. For what it cost for one of their packages, one can get a lot of prints at, you guessed it, WalMart!

Granted one has to spend the money on a camera, but an inexpensive P&S can do pretty well with the right light. And instead of a cheesy photo from the studio, they can take their own cheesy photos and print tons of them at 15c each!

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sears & Walmart Studio closed down

I have a friend that did it. She said the camera setting is locked. All she had to do was posing and press shutter. Same lighting all the time.

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:00 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sears & Walmart Studio closed down

What got me into photography was doing something similar to my first born...Cheesy little props a couple of backgrounds and they charge a small fortune. With digital there are many good photographers doing it part time offering great quality and good prices...people aren't stupid and will go for value for money.

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:22 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sears & Walmart Studio closed down

Digital photography makes the entry bar very low these days. I take portrait photos of my own kids/family, and shots of all the YMCA sports teams that they play on. I personally don't have a need for Sears or Walmart photographers, or photographers attaching themselves to the YMCA sporting events.

Sad? It's an opportunity for these people to move on and upgrade their skill set. It's a fact of life for many of us. We need to stay one step ahead of technology and the shifting demand that technology creates. The consequences of not paying attention are to potentially become the next Borders...or US Post Office.

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.