Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Need tripod advice, please.

michaelbennati
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need tripod advice, please.

I have bought a Benro G3 ballhead and am looking for a tripod.

I know it's a compromise between size and stability.
I'm looking for a tripod that is short when folded but long when extended.
It needs to be very stable/solid and easy to handle.

I've been looking at the Benro C3580T:
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/benro-classic-carbon-c3580t/MTE5MTc_A

Benro Classic Carbon C3580T
Number of Leg Sections 4
Maximum Diameter 32.5 mm
Minimum Diameter 22mm
Maximum Height 1870 mm
Mininium Height 375mm
Folded Length 610mm
Weight 2.04kg
Maximum Load 18kg

I like everything about it except its folded length: 61cm. I would prefer something around the 50cm.

Can you recommend a tripod with specs in that ballgame but a little less folded length?

The heaviest equipment I would use with it would be the Canon 5D3 with 70-200L IS f2.8 mkII.

But I like the maximum load of 18kg and would not go under 12kg in max load.

Apr 06, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need tripod advice, please.

http://www.feisoleurope.com/index.php
Feisol have a few different tripods that are rather good. Without center-column they will be more stable and solid also.
Your link that shows the Benro for $ 780. That is a lot of money for that tripod. You could get a Gitzo Systematic for nearly the same price. And that one would be better and more stable.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:12 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need tripod advice, please.

I've a feisol 3442 that pretty much fits your criteria. I have the centre column, but i find the tripod tall enough without it.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Smirre

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need tripod advice, please.

There is also a Benro C3780T systematic model, try to ask for it from your dealer, littel sturdier model is Benro C4780T. They dont come with the centre column, if you need it you will have to buy it separately

Sections 4
Max.D(mm) 32,5
Min.D(mm) 22
Max.H(mm) 1830
Normal H(mm) 1480
Min.H(mm) 140
Folded(mm) 540
Weight(kg) 1,89
Max.Load(kg) 18

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:54 PM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need tripod advice, please.

Thanks Smirre
54cm folded looks better. It might be what I'm looking for.
Now the problem is to find the best bargain in Europe. (EU)
:-)

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Smirre

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need tripod advice, please.

I ordered the C 4770 T this week from Sweden, i see you are in Denmark. And it did cost 4990 SEK. Here is a link to Benro sweden.
http://www.benrosverige.se/sv/tripod-carbon/benro-c3780t-combi.html

They are also sold straight from China on Ebay, i would have ordered from there but when it takes 3-4 weeks to get the delivery, and i need the tripod sooner than that.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:56 PM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need tripod advice, please.

Thanks.
Of course if you buy from China there is import taxes etc to be paid. Around 30% all in all.

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:35 PM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need tripod advice, please.

15Bit wrote:
I've a feisol 3442 that pretty much fits your criteria. I have the centre column, but i find the tripod tall enough without it.

Interesting. Folded length is only 48cm which I like.
Can you measure how much the centre column adds to the folded minimum length?

Also its max load is 10kg against the Benro's 18kg. I am concerned it might be less stable in terms of controlling vibrations etc. with long exposures.
What is your experience?

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:41 PM
ffstory

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need tripod advice, please.

feisol 3442 is very stable tripod.

Benro C3580T is probably sturdier, but much bigger and larger. For 70-200 2.8 it is overkill. 48cm fits into carryon luggage, 63cm doesn't.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:52 PM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need tripod advice, please.

Ok. Do you have the optional central column? How much does it add to the 48cm?

Apr 06, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ffstory

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need tripod advice, please.

I don't have the column on my CT-3442. Having just flat systematic base, think spider without any weakening of central column was the primary reason why I bought the CR-3442. Any column decreases stability and makes the tripod more susceptible to vibrations - and it doesn't even matter if you use it or not. I am using long lenses and I would need to get much bigger/heavier tripod design if I wanted one with central column.

However, there is an optional column. It adds 35cm height (176cm max when fully extended v 141). Not enough for me to bother.

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:02 AM
Smirre

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need tripod advice, please.

What type of head are you planning to use? I my self will use a gimbal for my Benro c4770t, and a big heavy lens (Sigmonster). I have center column on my old tripods, but i have never used them.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:16 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need tripod advice, please.

michaelbennati wrote:
Ok. Do you have the optional central column? How much does it add to the 48cm?

I have the column, though i don't use it as the tripod is tall enough already. Because the legs fold completely back over the ball head, i don't think the column adds anything to the stored length.

I've not had any problems with vibration and load capacity, but people have different assessment criteria and usage scenarios so my experience might not map onto your needs. Feisol do offer larger tripods with better load capacity, so you could look at those instead.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:50 AM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need tripod advice, please.

Ffstory: thanks for clarifying. I know the stability decreases when the center column is extended even just a little bit but it's new to me that it makes the system more susceptible to vibrations when not extended at all. The optional center column is convenient for studio work or less demanding work.
If you don't buy the optional center column what's in the package? A flat plate for the ballhead or do you have to buy this also?

Smirre: I have ordered the new Benro G3 which is overkill but a fantastic ballhead. (I tried it).

Apr 07, 2013 at 09:46 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need tripod advice, please.

michaelbennati wrote:
If you don't buy the optional center column what's in the package? A flat plate for the ballhead or do you have to buy this also?

You get the tripod inc flat plate for mounting a ballhead, a hook to hang ballast to improve stability, a padded carry bag and a set of tools.

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:15 AM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need tripod advice, please.

15Bit wrote:
I have the column, though i don't use it as the tripod is tall enough already. Because the legs fold completely back over the ball head, i don't think the column adds anything to the stored length.

I've not had any problems with vibration and load capacity, but people have different assessment criteria and usage scenarios so my experience might not map onto your needs. Feisol do offer larger tripods with better load capacity, so you could look at those instead.

Have you been using it under windy conditions e.g.. in mountains with long exposures?

That's my dilemma: maximum stability and minimal size when folded.

I am down to these options:

Sirui m-3204
http://www.sirui-photo.us/Sirui/Sirui-M-Tripod-Series.html
(or maybe the Sirui n-2204
http://www.sirui-photo.us/Sirui/Sirui-N-Tripod-Series.html )

Benro C3780T
http://www.benrosverige.se/sv/tripod-carbon/benro-c3780t-combi.html

Feisol CT3442 Rapid
http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-tournament-tripod-ct3442-rapid-p-31.html

I can buy Sirui in Europe at a very favorable price.
Feisol is also fairly cheap.
Benro is bigger and more expensive.
Price isn't the determining factor.

I would go for the smaller ones but I'm concerned about the vibrations/stability.

I come from a Gitzo GT3541XLS which is huge. Much too big so I've sold it to get something smaller. The question is: where is the sweet spot.

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:31 AM
ffstory

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need tripod advice, please.

michaelbennati wrote:
Ffstory: thanks for clarifying. I know the stability decreases when the center column is extended even just a little bit but it's new to me that it makes the system more susceptible to vibrations when not extended at all. The optional center column is convenient for studio work or less demanding work.

Here is how it looks out of the box:

<frame>

</frame>

The flat base is included. Obviously there are tripod with built-in centre column assemblies that are better than others. However, I believe that "systematic" design with no centre column at all (and especially wider top "spider") is the most stable tripod design ever.

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:33 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need tripod advice, please.

michaelbennati wrote:
Have you been using it under windy conditions e.g.. in mountains with long exposures?

Not so far. I blew my back shortly after buying the tripod and it is still not fixed, so i haven't had chance to give it a really serious workout in the mountains.

That's my dilemma: maximum stability and minimal size when folded.

I would then make a compromise and buy a 3 section rather than 4 section tripod (and live with the longer length), and make sure there is a hook off which to hang ballast.

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:46 AM
ffstory

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need tripod advice, please.

I would then make a compromise and buy a 3 section rather than 4 section tripod (and live with the longer length), and make sure there is a hook off which to hang ballast.

This is not true any more. Perhaps there was a rule back in days without G-locks. I would personally not get a 3-section model these days unless exclusively using it in studio. 3 sections models are not very tall and at the same time folded length makes them difficult to carry (they don't fit to any luggage).

Modern 4-section models with upper section at least 19mm in diameter are OK and very portable and you still have an option to not use the weakest section if you need stability (strong wind, etc). They are usually taller than their 3section counterparts.

I prefer to have potentially slightly less rigid tripod I can take with me rather than very strong I keep at home all the times. In reality 4section tripods like the Feisol CT-3442 or Gitzo series 2 or 3 tripods are very strong for almost anything <500mm and 10 kg.

At the moment state-of-art is Gitzo tripod has 6 sections...

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:49 PM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need tripod advice, please.

I agree. 3-section models are too long for me when folded. Otherwise I would have kept my huge Gitzo tripod.

I am now down to 2 choices:

Sirui m-3204
http://www.sirui-photo.us/Sirui/Sirui-M-Tripod-Series.html

Feisol CT3442 Rapid
http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-tournament-tripod-ct3442-rapid-p-31.html

The Sirui is more sturdy with a load capacity of 18 kg.
It is less compact when folded.

The Feisol is more handy and has the Systematic design. and the optional centre column makes it more versatile.

What do you think?

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:00 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password