Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · New portrait setup

Fjalke
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New portrait setup

New light setup. First attempt. Just a little pp
C&C are welcome

Edited on Apr 08, 2013 at 08:07 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:44 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New portrait setup

Very nice! Looks like you have two softboxes very close to him at the sides angled down, a reflector below him -- but is that a small speedlight on the camera? I see a small catchlight that must be pointed directly at him.

Overall, I think it works really well. With the hoodie and the dark outfit, I'd like to see a darker background -- but regardless, this is sweet. Great job!

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:09 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New portrait setup

I dno't like the hood on the,. Covers up too much of their face. Some people use hoods to not be noticed and cover up. You don't want it in a photo.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:34 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New portrait setup

friscoron wrote:
Very nice! Looks like you have two softboxes very close to him at the sides angled down, a reflector below him -- but is that a small speedlight on the camera? I see a small catchlight that must be pointed directly at him.

Overall, I think it works really well. With the hoodie and the dark outfit, I'd like to see a darker background -- but regardless, this is sweet. Great job!

Yesterday there was a setup image with it.
As you mentioned it had two strip boxes on either side of the camera a softbox underneath and what looked like a ring flash.

Maybe op will repost it

Apr 06, 2013 at 11:14 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New portrait setup

Because of the split boxes, he has splits in his eyes......not so good......

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New portrait setup

I like it. It is hard to shoot hooded subject like that.

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:31 AM
Fjalke
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New portrait setup

The setup

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:36 AM
gnauer

Account locked
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New portrait setup

firstgear99 wrote:
Because of the split boxes, he has splits in his eyes......not so good......

I think he did a great job with the lightning !

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:20 AM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New portrait setup

Seems needlessly complex to me...

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:35 AM
gnauer

Account locked
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New portrait setup

ChiShutter wrote:
Seems needlessly complex to me...

I've seen worst then this on a first attempt. The ligtning is not bad but I don't know astonishing photographers can point out the badness.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:40 AM

gome1122
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New portrait setup

I have to agree with ChiShutter, it does seem a bit overly complex.

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Fjalke
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New portrait setup

One without hood added

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:09 AM
gnauer

Account locked
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New portrait setup

Yes the second one is excellent! Thumbs up : )

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:25 AM
forreal

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New portrait setup

All these props for this image and setup, I don't get it. Anyone can fill light until there is no shadow, if that is your goal. But for most portraits, that typically is not the goal. We use light to create depth and character, which is lost in this image. Sorry, please don't hate on me, just keeping it real.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Fjalke
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New portrait setup

forreal: try to get that look with only 2 lights
Looking forward to see it

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:44 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New portrait setup

Fjalke wrote:
forreal: try to get that look with only 2 lights
Looking forward to see it

Two lights? Seems there are 6 or 7 in your setup unless they are just there for decoration?

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:59 PM
forreal

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New portrait setup

Fjalke: I guess it's a matter of preference and style. Because my point is that typically, at least for myself and the photographers I hang with and/or appreciate, seek depth, character and less catch lights. But if a sharp image with several catch lights and a subject fully illuminated from all angles is your thing, then this is it. And I didn't say I could create it with 2 lights, I simply said anyone can fill light until there are no shadows. It might take me 3 or more lights to do it, but it's not difficult to achieve. So bringing in the argument of 2 lights is just odd, not sure where that is coming from. Ask me to produce something a little more difficult, such as well balanced shadows, depth and artistry.... and.... I still might fail, but at least it is something worth asking for. To each his own I guess, but my opinion on this image and setup is quite valid and there's no reason for attitudes or redirect. Have a great day and keep it real!

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:05 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New portrait setup

forreal wrote:
All these props for this image and setup, I don't get it. Anyone can fill light until there is no shadow, if that is your goal. But for most portraits, that typically is not the goal. We use light to create depth and character, which is lost in this image. Sorry, please don't hate on me, just keeping it real.

In some cases, forreal, we use light to create depth and character. And in other cases, we use light to fill every crevice so there is no shadow. And then there are some who don't use lights at all! Imagine that! The point is, we all have our different styles, or different way that we want to convey an image. We use light to illustrate whatever mood or setting we choose.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:07 PM
forreal

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New portrait setup

friscoron wrote:
In some cases, forreal, we use light to create depth and character. And in other cases, we use light to fill every crevice so there is no shadow. And then there are some who don't use lights at all! Imagine that! The point is, we all have our different styles, or different way that we want to convey an image. We use light to illustrate whatever mood or setting we choose.

Reading comprehension 101, I made room for that fact. Please reread reply without thinking I am insulting the OP, as that is not my intentions. Right here is a prime example as to why I rarely post, people are just too sensitive and it is too easy to misunderstand ones intent no matter how well you communicate.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:17 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New portrait setup

forreal, never really thought you were insulting the OP. While you acknowledged that his goal might be to fill any potential shadow with light, you said that is typically not the goal. In that last part, I would infer you were talking about you and your friends, not Fjalke and his friends. I have a much higher level of reading comprehension than a freshman 101 course. Not sure where Fjalke's comment about two lights came from, but my point is simply that everyone uses light differently to achieve different results. We all have different styles, and we're not always going to agree with each other's decisions on how to use light. But if we all used light the same way, photography would get pretty boring in my humble opinion.

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password