Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

UsseryG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

Hi guys and gals,

I have a question, so you know I am going to log onto FM and look for advice from the finest photography community on the net!

I have an interest in abandoned buildings and ghost towns. It was sparked when I found out there was an abandoned power plant here in Moorhead, MN. I really would like to go inside and explore, as well as grab some pics, and maybe even do some portrait shoots.

But alas, it is in a very busy part of town, has very high fences, and I am sure the doors are locked and covered in "No Trespassing" on it!

This made me start googling abandoned buildings and ghost towns in my area. I have found a lot, and a few of them are even in very rural areas.

So, my question is this: Where is the line? Can I enter some of the abandoned houses, or buildings? If not, have any of you entered an abandoned building anyway, knowing the risk?

I feel like the risk of cops being involved in rural areas becomes slim, perhaps more likely having to deal with the locals.

Have any of you done this kind of exploring and photography? If so, could you spot me some advice, and upload some images?

Thanks,
Gary

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:06 AM
Shaun Nyc
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

Dont know what to tell you here, it's up to you the amount of risk youre willing to take. Ive done alot of things in the past I would never do again just because they were dangerous besides illegal. My best advice would be make sure you have a charged cell ph, water & some sort of asbestos rated mask with you

http://shaun.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v4/p908625859-4.jpg

http://shaun.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v4/p129776302-4.jpg

http://shaun.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v4/p524741008-5.jpg

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:16 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

Is it worth breaking the law for your shot? Or perhaps anatomical parts?
The fences are there for a couple of reasons; 1. to keep people from endangering themselves and 2. to keep people from endangering the wealth and welfare of the owners from liability for those individuals who frequent the first reason. Better to somehow get permission in my opinion.
Douglas

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:09 AM
narasimhalu

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

I can appreciate the photo op - odds are you will not be arrested but merely asked to leave. As an engineer who worked on building and shutting down assets such as power plants, fences and barriers are placed for a reason: as noted earlier - protection of the public. Huge safety risks exist and those are the kind you typically don't see. Depending on how ethical and funded a site was for abandonment (and guess what, if its there, that means someone didn't appropriately abandon it), you could hope chemical waste was managed. As noted earlier, asbestos is a serious concern. Structural damage is not always visible - older buildings used wood hidden beneath plaster and concrete. Just last week we had a field employee fall through a floor of a structure we were abandoning (I work for a major oil company) - the only thing that saved him from the 100ft drop was having the grating he was walking on gauge and grab him in the ribs (ouch). Last, You hope you have a good cell signal as these buildings may have enough structure to deaden a signal. Harm by others is another threat - drug addicts and homeless. Make sure someone knows where you are.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:43 AM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

Thanks everyone for the comments so far, but I feel I need to clear something up.

I don't plan on forcing my way into anything that has high fences, and many locks, especially the power plant in Moorhead. I am pretty sure the power plant is now property of the state, and I do not want to get in trouble with those guys.

My question is more for rural exploration. Ghost towns, abandoned farms, and the like. Places that are in obvious dissaray, and do not have a caretaker. There is a ghost town about 4 hours from here. It has a lot of buildings, and old homes, including a church and some shops.

This is where I feel the cops would not get involved, but more so, the locals.

Oh, and thank you for the other advice. I plan on going with a group of four people, my fiance (as assistant), a model, and a friend experienced in urban exploring. Charged cell phones (if they have a signal) and other supplies. And I will be extra careful to not disturb the environment, to try and avoid stirring up bad dusts, and spores.

Shaun NYC, awesome, AWESOME pics.

Apr 06, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

I hope I can shed some light on the topic of urban exploration for you. I have been doing this type of photography for years in my local area with no problems. The first thing you need to do is research the building or area you wish to enter and or photograph.Secondly is to check with security (or the owners if possible) as you will find most will be willing to grant access for a price. This price can be anything from printed photos of the location to cash, and even frosty adult beverages. Once you gain access make sure you scout and pay attention to your surroundings while you shoot due to hazards, homeless folks, and less than scrupulous people. Lighting can be a real challenge during the day and even worse at night if you are not prepared for the crazy dynamic range most old buildings can produce. Good luck and be safe. If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me.

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:43 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

Charlie K. wrote:
I hope I can shed some light on the topic of urban exploration for you. I have been doing this type of photography for years in my local area with no problems. The first thing you need to do is research the building or area you wish to enter and or photograph.Secondly is to check with security (or the owners if possible) as you will find most will be willing to grant access for a price. This price can be anything from printed photos of the location to cash, and even frosty adult beverages. Once you gain access make
...Show more

Thank you, Charlie!

I am not sure who to contact for the power plant (I know they have let some groups in). The ghost towns I want to visit are really ghost towns, with 0 pop. I think this is where friends come in handy, safety and all.

Gary

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:46 PM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

Rosewood ~ Souls Trapped In Time

Apr 08, 2013 at 09:46 PM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

I got busted quite a few times over the years of breaking in..... but now there is no getting in anymore and I am grateful to have gotten what I did!

Apr 08, 2013 at 09:54 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Abandoned Buildings and Ghost Town- Do and Don'ts?

Oh wow, very nice!

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:19 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.