New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

eephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if either of these flashes can be used with the Flex TT5 (I have two)? I am looking for some cheaper flash units to use at wedding receptions instead of using my expensive units (My sb-910 teetered on the stand after someone bumped into it and this got me thinking why am I using an expensive flash for accent lighting with tons of drunken people around!)

Anyways, if anyone knows if this can work, any help would be appreciated or if you have any recommendations if they don't work as to what a cheap alternative is.

Thanks!

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:34 PM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

PS: I'm not opposed to investing in cheap triggers either...

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:38 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

I like how the Sunpak is set for exposure versus the Vivitar, both are triggered off the typical center contact on their foot. I don't have any experience with the Flex tt5, just wanted to express my opinion that I like the Sunpaks over the Vivitars. I believe the brightness output is similar between the two units. Some of the vivitars have higher voltage getting sent through their contact so that might affect the trigger.

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:51 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

eephoto wrote:
...I'm wondering if anyone knows if either of these flashes can be used with the Flex TT5...

I've been using the Vivitar 285HV for decades, and currently have two that I use for background lights. I've tested them with the MiniTT1/FlexTT5, and currently use them with Yongnuo YN622C triggers, and they work fine with both (simple sync only; no remote adjustment is possible).

The 285HV (but not the plain 285 or 283) is always 6v sync voltage; other Vivitars may or may not be, depending on date of manufacture. I wouldn't use any older Vivitar model other than the 285HV without runnig it through a Safe-Sync or similar.

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:01 PM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply! I am leaning towards the Sunpak. (I'm supposed to pick one up tomorrow but am now waivering as I'm not sure if it will work). I have heard that the Vivitar has higher voltage, and some people have fried their triggers...but if the Sunpak doesn't work, and the Vivitar does I might (might) chance it.

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:03 PM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

BrianO wrote:
I've been using the Vivitar 285HV for decades, and currently have two that I use for background lights. I've tested them with the MiniTT1/FlexTT5, and currently use them with Yongnuo YN622C triggers, and they work fine with both (simple sync only; no remote adjustment is possible).

The 285HV (but not the plain 285 or 283) is always 6v sync voltage; other Vivitars may or may not be, depending on date of manufacture. I wouldn't use any older Vivitar model other than the 285HV without runnig it through a Safe-Sync or similar.

Well that's one "vote" for Vivitar. Oddly enough I found one Sunpak 383 and one Vivitar 285HV for sale on Kijiji when I went looking. I elected to buy the Sunpak but thoughts of compatibility is throwing me off. If it's a no-go for the Sunpak, then the Vivitar 285HV will be my choice (and it's selling cheaper then the Sunpak).

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:06 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

eephoto wrote:
PS: I'm not opposed to investing in cheap triggers either...

If you can wait a little longer, there should be a Nikon version of the YN622 triggers out shortly (if it isn't already).

I'm just getting to know the YN622C system, but so far it seems amazing for the price. (I bought four for $155...that's just $38.75 each!) They use the camera's flash control menu rather than having their own built-in control system (other than channel and group selection), so for anyone who's used the Canon wireless system (or in the case of Nikon, the CLS) will be right at home with these. I'm practicing now with combining ETTL and Manual mode Canon Speedlites with the Vivitars. So far it looks promising.

Here's a link regarding the Nikon version:

http://www.lightingrumours.com/nikon-version-yongnuo-yn-622n-i-ttl-flash-trigger-announced-3249

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:09 PM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

BrianO wrote:
If you can wait a little longer, there should be a Nikon version of the YN622 triggers out shortly (if it isn't already).

I'm just getting to know the YN622C system, but so far it seems amazing for the price. (I bought four for $155...that's just $38.75 each!)

http://www.lightingrumours.com/nikon-version-yongnuo-yn-622n-i-ttl-flash-trigger-announced-3249

Thanks for the link! $155 for 4 triggers! Wow!! It's hard to find if anyone is using this combo with the Sunpak (I mostly find people using it with the PWII and the cable is hard to find). So I'm thinking just go for it, try it with the TT5 and if not wait for these triggers to come out and try it with them! I wonder how much they'll be in Canada!

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:45 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

Well, I got this email from PW:

The ControlTL system, including the FlexTT5, is not compatible with the Vivitar 285 or Sunpak 383, so I would recommend using a PlusX or Plus III radio attached to each remote flash, and then a PlusX or Plus III attached to the side of your SB-910's PC sync port on your camera. You can see more about the Plus III here: http://plusiii.pocketwizard.com/ You will find more details and a complete list of the PlusX features here: www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/plusx/ When replying to this email, please keep the case number in the subject line.

So they are saying I can't use either flash with the Flex system. Now I'm more confused then ever!!

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:35 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

eephoto wrote:
...I wonder how much [the YN622 will] be in Canada!

I don't know about getting them through eBay, but the Yongnuo Canada site lists the current Canon version at $140 per pair.

http://yongnuocanada.com/store/yongnuo-flash-accessories/

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:45 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

Hmmm...I wonder if that applies to the Nikon TT5 I am off to peruse my manual. If so then that would mean the Sunpak would work then...? (not sure if that's a statement or a question!)

Thanks BrianO!

Apr 06, 2013 at 09:35 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

eephoto wrote:
Hmmm...I wonder if that applies to the Nikon TT5... If so then that would mean the Sunpak would work then...?

The Sunpak 383 Super has a sync voltage of 7.2v according to my list, so it should be completely safe to use with the PC socket of the FlexTT, which LPDesign says can handle up to 50v in the hot shoe and up to 200v on the PC port. Just be sure only to connect to Port #2. Port #1 is for a different purpose.

Apr 06, 2013 at 09:46 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

BrianO wrote:
The Sunpak 383 Super has a sync voltage of 7.2v according to my list, so it should be completely safe to use with the PC socket of the FlexTT, which LPDesign says can handle up to 50v in the hot shoe and up to 200v on the PC port. Just be sure only to connect to Port #2. Port #1 is for a different purpose.

Ha! You're faster then the PW guys!

Here was the 2nd email I got when I followed up with them. It is definitely a better explanation to the first email!

I was recommending more of a cost savings measure if you don't already have radios. You can use Basic Trigger mode on the FlexTT5 to disable all TTL pins and fire from the center sync pin to fire most non-compatible flashes. This effectively makes the FlexTT5 an expensive Plus III or PlusX with a hotshoe. The other reason I recommended the PlusX and Plus III is that those radios have a much higher threshold for high voltage flashes. The PlusX and Plus III can trigger flashes with triggering voltages of up to 300V safely. The top shoe of the FlexTT5 is rated for 50V. I'd definitely check your flashes voltages as some Vivitar 285s have been recorded as having triggering voltages of hundreds of Volts in the past.

Sigh...I'll have the most expensive PlusX around!! ! But I'm glad to know I can do it. Now it's a question of should I or is there better/different options like the Yungnuo.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:05 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

Pocket Wizard wrote:
...some Vivitar 285s have been recorded as having triggering voltages of hundreds of Volts in the past.

Yes, for the 285 but NOT the 285HV. The 285HV has always been low-voltage sync. (The HV (high voltage) in the name refers to the ability to use a high-voltage power pack, not to the sync voltage.)

eephoto wrote:
...Now it's a question of should I or is there better/different options...

Aye, there's the rub. Hamlet faced a similar dilemma.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:35 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

BrianO wrote:
Yes, for the 285 but NOT the 285HV. The 285HV has always been low-voltage sync. (The HV (high voltage) in the name refers to the ability to use a high-voltage power pack, not to the sync voltage.)

Aye, there's the rub. Hamlet faced a similar dilemma.

To be or not to be... That is the question. I wonder what the forums would have told Hamlet back in the day! Thou must selleth!

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 285 on Flex TT5

I use the TT5 with Sunpak and vivitar flash units. I use them with cords since the shoe mount won't trigger them. But I have to tell you, for $74 delivered, the Yongnuo 560 II is a absolute awesome unit. I'm serious going to check out the 622N triggers if they ever come out, I am that impressed with the flash. I own three PW TT5's, a TT1, AC3, and 5 plus III's so thats a fairly bold statement for me. Lately I have been using a Wein IR optical trigger with a Sunpak 383 or Vivitar unit with a optical slave plugged directly into the flash units jack. I can carry a flash unit with me, the Wein and often my X100 which is a small package to tote around yet gives me all sorts of lighting options without needing cords, triggers and other stuff. Pretty uncomplicated too.

The PW TT5/TT1 stuff is close to hitting CL or Ebay. I don't use TTL flash much preferring manual and the Plus III's rule in the studio and work for manual offering good group support .

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:14 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.