Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Richie S
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

If you are at all concerned with size and weight then get the OMD. Best camera is the one you have with you and all that.

I have a 5DII and an OMD. If I'm out on a day in nature with photography as my main aim, then the Canon wins. Anything family and the OMD is the camera that gets used.

I would make sure you budget for the good fast primes though. For me that's what really makes the compromise enough to enjoy the weight savings.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:09 AM
Richie S
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Stumbled across a,link to this on another site. Sure he won't mind a direct link to the blog, but its pretty similar to my experience, although I kept the canon gear as well as the m43.

http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-tale-of-seven-cameras-and-one-subject.html

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:41 AM
baskars

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Thank you for the help folks. Thank you Ritchie, for the link. It was very informative.

I have decided to go with the OMD. I am planning to get 4/1.8 and 25/1.4. Is there a general purpose lens, other than the 12-50mm kit lens, that my wife can use with this camera?

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:28 AM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Excellent choice. You will appreciate the nice small size of the OMD system when your children get a little older and you take them on hikes and to the park. Carrying around a DSLR system with you becomes painful and most people just don't bother taking a camera with them everywhere they go. With the Oly, you can have your camera with you for very special candid shot of your children.

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

baskars wrote:
... Is there a general purpose lens, other than the 12-50mm kit lens, that my wife can use with this camera?

It wouldn't be far-fetched to regard the 20 1.7 as general purpose.

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:58 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Since you already have Canon system, 6D is your best bet. I had OMD EM5 before and i can tell you this right now, camera is nice but it has limitations. Light weight and good to excellent image quality (depends on the lens). I had the best lenses they have to offer, the highly praised 75/1.8, 45/1.8, Panasonic 25/1.4 and the widest zoom 7-14. They are capable for any photography task, but it's more suited for travel or street photography. If you do serious gigs, like wedding, studio portrait, it's not up there yet compare with real DSLR like Canon or Nikon. Horses for Courses, so search more and find your likings based on your photography style or needs.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:05 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

maxx9photo wrote:
Since you already have Canon system, 6D is your best bet. I had OMD EM5 before and i can tell you this right now, camera is nice but it has limitations. Light weight and good to excellent image quality (depends on the lens). I had the best lenses they have to offer, the highly praised 75/1.8, 45/1.8, Panasonic 25/1.4 and the widest zoom 7-14. They are capable for any photography task, but it's more suited for travel or street photography. If you do serious gigs, like wedding, studio portrait, it's not up there yet compare with real DSLR like Canon
...Show more

For the OP who wants it as a family camera, I think it is ideal...more so than a DSLR as it will be taken with the family on all outings whereas a DSLR will most likely be sitting on the shelf on most outings. At least that is my experience.

I have both a DSLR system and a Fuji X100. My Fuji goes with me everywhere so I get photos I normally never would. However if an outing is specific to photography, my 5d2 camera with an assortment of lens comes along.

For general family pics, the OMD is an ideal setup.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:35 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

For famiy pictures it is more than adequate.

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:28 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Horses for courses and as long as makor movement or fast events arent part of the equation, I am sure the OP will like the kit. That is why I also own a GX1 .

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:55 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

baskars wrote:
I have decided to go with the OMD. I am planning to get 4/1.8 and 25/1.4. Is there a general purpose lens, other than the 12-50mm kit lens, that my wife can use with this camera?

You will NOT regret this. IMO, the OMD is the BEST family camera at the moment.

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

What about the new Canon EOS 100D if you like to have a small camera. It weight less than the Olympus. And you can use the Canon equipment that you already have. You will get 18MP and an optical viewfinder. It will also cost you less money

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:41 PM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

I can't help but think you're actually taking a step back in many ways. If this is supposed to be an "upgrade" the 6d seems like a good choice. Going with a smaller sensor as an upgrade doesn't make sense to me. Sure the OMD is a nice camera if you're looking for something compact. Their primes are top notch, but then couldn't you also just get a 6D and some of canon's nice primes, I think you'd be better off.

You're probably looking at something like this om-d kit.

12mm f2 / 25 1.4 / 45 1.8 / 75 1.8

Why not just ditch your zooms and make yourself a 6d kit like this.

24L 50L 85 1.8 135L

Done.

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:25 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

lucas lumiere wrote:
I can't help but think you're actually taking a step back in many ways. If this is supposed to be an "upgrade" the 6d seems like a good choice. Going with a smaller sensor as an upgrade doesn't make sense to me. Sure the OMD is a nice camera if you're looking for something compact. Their primes are top notch, but then couldn't you also just get a 6D and some of canon's nice primes, I think you'd be better off.

You're probably looking at something like this om-d kit.

12mm f2 / 25 1.4 / 45 1.8 / 75 1.8

Why
...Show more

That 6D kit you have outlined will be a pig to carry around on family outings...much bulkier, heavier etc.. Most likely will sit at home on most outings.

Apr 07, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

EDIT: Just read your last post and saw you already got the OLY, congrats!
Is a ncie camera, but feel free to read below on deciding on a DSLR should the need/want arise.

My friends sister recently got the OLY as she wanted a compact system that would take a good shot.

It does that, and it does it well, but as has been stated, you would be buying into a whole new environment of lenses.

I personally in your shoes, would get the 6D purely for the fact that you have half of your kit already for it.

My other recommendation, if there is a local dealer nearby that offers camera rental, rent the 6D for a day and head out with your lenses, take as many shots as you can.

Most shops I have seen don't rent the 4/3 gear, so you might be out of luck on testing it thoroughly, but using the 6D for a day will probably be enough for you to decide if you want to stick with a large body or drop down to a small form factor.

Apr 07, 2013 at 11:06 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Already having lenses for a system is a huge factor leaning in favor of the 6d.

Apr 07, 2013 at 11:32 PM
baskars

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Ideally, I would love to get both the 6D and the OMD, if I can convince my wife that the latter is for her. But having two different lens systems I think can be quite a hassle as many folks have commented. Also, while I can get the Canon 100D, the lenses that I have are still bulky enough that with two kids, it probably does become a problem except for a photo shoot only outing - a rarity now.

Maybe, I could get a used 5D Mark II or even a 5D to satisfy my FF cravings, along with OMD.

There doesn't seem to be great zoom lenses for OMD from what I could see. Nothing in the 70-200/2.8L Is class. Am I incorrect?

Apr 08, 2013 at 05:27 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

I would not buy a new system so I had two different systems. Just because I like to have something smaller at the family outings.

Apr 08, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Access
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

baskars wrote:
There doesn't seem to be great zoom lenses for OMD from what I could see. Nothing in the 70-200/2.8L Is class. Am I incorrect?

There is a 35-100 f/2.8, search amazon or such
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-H-HS35100-35-100mm-G-Series-Cameras/dp/B009B0X9PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365401219&sr=8-1&keywords=35mm-100mm+panasonic
I think.

Apr 08, 2013 at 06:07 AM
danb121
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

I think that Chez is right the Oly sounds perfect for you... in an ideal world you would have both but things will start to get expensive.
I have a 6D and have carried it around for 3 whole days on the trot in Barcelona (along with a 17-40, 24-105, 12-24 and a travel tripod) and it was heavy... that said I did use all of those lenses and the 6D produced fantastic results

For family photos and situations where you can have you camera in your pocket to capture life on the go the Oly is a great choice... my brother-in-law has one and he is about to sell all of his DSLR kit as he hasn't used it since buying the OMD.

Enjoy your purchase!

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:52 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Sorry, but getting the OMD over a full frame Canon just sounds crazy to me. Especially having a great set of Canon lenses already. I've got a couple other Oly M43 cameras, but they seem like toys compared to a DSLR, especially a full frame.

Obviously, not everyone thinks like I do! Ha-ha!

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:20 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password