Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

baskars

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Folks,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Pardon my ignorance about any forum guidelines that I may not be following (such as posting this same question in two diff discussions).

I have a 7 year old Canon 30D with EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS, EF 70-200/2.8 L IS MK II, EF 50/1.4, EF 85/1.8 lenses. I also have other accessories such as 580EXII, remote shutter release, etc.

I was thinking of upgrading my camera as I found that when I crop, which I do often, I don't have much resolution left from the 6MP shots.

I was looking at upgrading to Canon 6D when I saw the glowing reviews about the Olympus E-M5. So now I am trying to decide if I should get the E-M5 and a few new MFT lenses or just buy the 6D and enjoy the FF.

I would appreciate any help/advice on this.

Thanks,
Baskar

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

if you crop alot then what lenses are you thinking of getting for the FF 6D? (oh and by the way the 30D is 8mp )

if you think the larger sensor with more MP will help you then you have to think that the 6D cropped down to the same size as the 30D you will have roughly the same amount of pixels .
thats fine if you were going to replace your 17-55 with the 24-105L (17-55 wont work on the FF body) as you still have a little bit more reach . but with your 70-200 you will have not gained .

personally I have no real desire to go FF as i love my 7D 17-55 & 80-200L combo (think of the 80-200L as the 70-200 mk2 without IS ) as with my longer lenses (100-400 and now 120-300) i found I was cropping all the time anyway . oh and I like the 24-105 way less than my 17-55

as for the OLY . yep it looks a good camera . but from waht I can see the good lenses cost a heap of money for a system that was designed to be a smaller 'cheaper' format

just my 2 cents but maybe its worth a wait to see what the possible 70D & 7D2 bring to the table .

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:22 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Well... you've got a decent foundation for a Canon system already. All your lenses but the EF-S will work with the 6D. If you move to the Olympus, you are buying a very capable camera but also investing in another camera system.

I enjoyed owning the Olympus but opted to sell it to fund the 6D. I already own several Canon bodies and lenses. I quickly found that maintaining two systems was costly. It made no sense to buy a macro lens for the Olympus when I had similar lenses for the Canon. I found myself wanting to use the Olympus as I do my Canon and as nice of a camera as the Olympus is, the Canon had more range or capabilities.

Alot depends on your needs. If you want a compact system, the Olympus is a good choice. If you like the Canon system, the 30D can serve as a backup while the 6D becomes your workhorse.

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:22 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Agree, it all depends on your needs. If you don't need a compact system based on size/weight, I'd go for the 6D and slap your great lenses on it. I have the Panasonic G3 which has a very similar sensor performance to the oly. It's a great body when paired with the 20 pancake, but I find it is slow and the iso performance, while good, is nothing like you'll see with the 6D. I like to shoot family photos in indoor low light which is where the 6D will shine, also you can do night sky photography too. The oly may be better able to focus away from the center point compared to the 6D, but I would get the 6d if I had to choose.
I have the G3 as a side kick while using a specialized lens on my 5D.

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:44 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

As far as IQ 6D is better than OM-D but if the gear weight is what you concern the most then OM-D line up will be better for you.

baskars wrote:
Folks,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Pardon my ignorance about any forum guidelines that I may not be following (such as posting this same question in two diff discussions).

I have a 7 year old Canon 30D with EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS, EF 70-200/2.8 L IS MK II, EF 50/1.4, EF 85/1.8 lenses. I also have other accessories such as 580EXII, remote shutter release, etc.

I was thinking of upgrading my camera as I found that when I crop, which I do often, I don't have much resolution left from the 6MP shots.

I
...Show more

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:49 PM
cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Nothing wrong with the OmD, as I really liked my setup, but ask yourself what you want out of the system. If you really want smaller / lighter , OMD is nice.

There are certainly trade offs to the m43 system , so think about both setups and what you want out if them. Seems like you have a nice lens foundation to work, so maybe a 6D would be great.

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:50 PM
baskars

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Thanks for the advice folks.

Most of the photos that I take are of my two young kids (5.5 yrs and 6mo), either indoors or outdoors. I was looking at FF and 6D in specific for the bokeh for portraits of the kids and high ISO IQ. but OLY (and MFT in general) caught my attention as it does become real heavy to take my gear when I venture out with my family.

Ian: I was planning to keep my 17-55 30D as backup if I buy 6D+24-105. But I will sell my 17-55 if I move to OLY.

How does OLY perform for kids portraits and general kids photographs indoors, and also for kids action photos?

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:05 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

If your kids don't move much OM-D will work otherwise no.

baskars wrote:
Thanks for the advice folks.

Most of the photos that I take are of my two young kids (5.5 yrs and 6mo), either indoors or outdoors. I was looking at FF and 6D in specific for the bokeh for portraits of the kids and high ISO IQ. but OLY (and MFT in general) caught my attention as it does become real heavy to take my gear when I venture out with my family.

Ian: I was planning to keep my 17-55 30D as backup if I buy 6D+24-105. But I will sell my 17-55 if I move to OLY.

How does
...Show more

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:30 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Hi Baskar,

When you move to FF your EF lenses will seem shorter. Their focal length doesn't actually change, but the 'Field of View' you will get will be wider. So your 50mm will have an normal FOV of 50mm; like it would on a film camera. On your 30D you are really seeing/saving an image with a FOV 80mm; your 30D's sensor has crop factor 1.6x. All 'EF' lenses on a crop body have more 'reach' because of this crop factor, change in FOV.

Moving to FF, the 6D, will get you more pixels, much better higher ISO usage and it's body is actually a bit lighter/smaller then your 30D. And as others have said, the EF-S lens you have does not normally work on a FF body, you will have to use it on your 30D only. With a FF body you might look at the 17-40 f4L for your ultra-wide needs.

As for the OMD, it looks like a nice small alternative, but good glass can get really expensive, with body, grip and a few fast lenses you're looking at 2.5-3k.

6D kits with the 24-105L are going for 2.4k plus tax, pretty cheap to get into FF, but given you are use to shooting with a 1.6x crop body I'm thinking a 7D might be an alternative. You'd move to 18MP, higher ISO use, much better AF, 8FPS and it's internal-popup flash can act as a master flash. You can get a used one from here on FM for under 1K and all of your lenses could be used.

I'm looking to move to FF also, I have a 40D and 10-22 with other EF lenses, and don't like to crop much; even with its very clean 10MPs. My eye is firmly on the 6D kit also. The 'reach' issue isn't a big problem for me as I shoot with film bodies years don't mind the loss in FOV, am quite use to that look.

You might bring your kit to a local shop/store and try your EF lenses on a 6D and your 30D. If the change in FOV doesn't bother you, gives you enough reach for your needs ...then FF looks good to me. BUT...if you miss the 'reach', crop factor, then the 7D or it's upgrade that might come later this year or early next year might be a better option.

Hope this helps...
Jerry

Edit - Just read you post about your kids and their portraits, while bokeh is a great look, if/when your kids start moving into sports, given the 6D's AF is pretty much center point focus only; unless in really bright/good light, the 7D might be the best option...just a thought...even a T3i or T5i might work...test the 6D before you buy make sure the AF will work for you.

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:32 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Oooh... I quite like the retro stylish Oly EM5. For general shooting around it is really a snazzy piece of equipment. The only part I thought it remains behind Canon EOS DSLR is AF on moving subjects. Or shall I say, it falls apart completely when I need robust AF-ing.
Having said that, I would have no problem having it as my travel camera! So small and light. Prices are tumbling. I think I saw Olympus advertising it for $759. Maybe it's a refurb.

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Access
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

baskars wrote:
How does OLY perform for kids portraits and general kids photographs indoors, and also for kids action photos?

I have used an OM-D for about a year, and I used a 5d2 for more than three.
Really the best thing to do for the OM-D is to find a friend/shop/etc. and try it out. You'll either love it or hate it. There are some nice things about it, but other things I just can't get used to (having used a DSLR for more than 9 years). If you want to compare the two cameras on a technical level, the OM-D has better dynamic range, and built-in IS that works quite well. The 6D has a few more megapixels, less high ISO noise and more background blur.

OM-D is not that great for anything moving (if you want to depend on the AF). You can get a decent amount of background blur with a 45mm f/1.8 lens, roughly the same as using a 24-70mm f/2.8 zoomed all the way in on the canon full frame.

They are not indoors but if you look at the photos I posted at the beginning of this thread, you can get least get an idea of how much background blur you can expect for the different types of shots using one of the best portrait primes (45mm f/1.8) out there.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1109813/

If you do a lot of moving around, there is a huge difference in terms of weight and bulk. A 6d+40mm pancake+85mm f/1.8 is more than twice the weight/bulk of a OM-D+14mm pancake+20mm pancake+45mm f/1.8.

If you want there is a decent chance I will end up taking both a canon full frame camera and the OM-D to the faire this year, I can try to get some comparison portraits to post.

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:43 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Kid photos...?

As others have stated, it can take great photos of the kids but if their in motion the AF just can't keep pace. While the 6D's AF doesn't have the zip of... say... a 1D Mark III, it is more capable of tracking.

But.... if you are using the LCD as a viewfinder on the Olympus, it might be a fair statement to say the Olympus is faster than Live View focusing on the Canon.

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

coppertop wrote:
Kid photos...?

As others have stated, it can take great photos of the kids but if their in motion the AF just can't keep pace. While the 6D's AF doesn't have the zip of... say... a 1D Mark III, it is more capable of tracking.

But.... if you are using the LCD as a viewfinder on the Olympus, it might be a fair statement to say the Olympus is faster than Live View focusing on the Canon.

For static subjects it is almost as fast (and accurate) as phase detect focus. For posed portraits or anytime someone is staying pretty much still, it's no problem. And things like being able to change the size of the focus point, as well as use the touch screen to set it's location are nice features.

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:06 PM
memzinla
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

I'm a beginner, but I'd go for the Canon 6D because you already have some lenses that you will be able to use on the 6D.

I had the OM-D, and then I decided to upgrade to the Canon 6D. I really loved the 6D because of the high ISO performances. I was surprised by how good the pictures looked at up to ISO 12800. I wasn't a fan of the size or weight even though the Canon 6D is really not that heavy. When I was holding it on my hands it didn't feel heavy, but when I had it hanging from my neck it felt really bad at the end of the day.

I think the OM-D is a great camera, but I'm not sure how it would be with moving kids. I love how light the OM-D is. I can have it hanging on my neck without feeling like I have something hanging. I don't mind taking it with me wherever I go. IBIS allows me to keep ISO low, and I'm able to take sharp 1 second pictures. The only cons I find is the EVF and the video quality. To me the EVF on the OM-D is better than the NEX-7 EVF because the NEX-7 EVF displayed too much moire. It can be good because you'll know where you're focused, but it annoyed me. I can't get used to using an EVF though. I prefer the OVF. Video looks really good when there is not a lot of movement, but when there is the video becomes pixelated.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:24 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Only get the Oly if you're concerned about size, and only shoot static subjects.

If you stick with Canon, consider upgrading to a newer crop sensor camera, like the 7D or 60D. They will work great with the lenses you have, and give you better performance.

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:53 PM
baskars

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Thank you folks for taking time to help me out. One of the common themes that seems to stand out is that for moving subjects, OMD may not be the right choice and I should probably stick with Canon.

But then the choice that I see now is 7D or 6D. Is the shorter reach of my lenses with 6D the real issue that I should probably look at 7D? The high ISO performance of 6D seems much better than that of 7D from what I read. Or am I mistaken? Also, the photos from a FF do seem to stand out from APS-C due to the bokeh. No?

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:12 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Check out the OMD thread in the Alt forum to get an idea of the output this small camera is capable of. Caution - do not look at the RX1 thread!

I'd rent an OMD first, in fact, that is what I am doing this coming week.

As others have stated, the AF is certainly not up to par but the images of the OMD are really something.

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:31 PM
alrac
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

Have you considered the Rebel T4i? It has the same sensor as the 7D, it's smaller and lighter, and it has Live view and an articulating LED viewfinder, which is awesomely useful for composing pics at awkward angles, and clandestine angles which you might need for capturing good candid family pics. It shoots at 5 fps like the 30D, with small shutter lag. It's a sweet little camera, and the camera you actually use always outperforms the heavy one you leave at home It would also leave you a nice chunk of extra money, and you can use all of your existing lenses. I wouldn't worry about image quality unless you're planning to make billboards out of wee crops, because you have a good set of lenses and any of these cameras- T4i, 7D, 6D- will deliver excellent images.

**edit**
Bryan Carnathan has a typically exhaustive review, with lots of pictures and comparisons:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T4i-650D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:32 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

baskars wrote:
Thank you folks for taking time to help me out. One of the common themes that seems to stand out is that for moving subjects, OMD may not be the right choice and I should probably stick with Canon.

But then the choice that I see now is 7D or 6D. Is the shorter reach of my lenses with 6D the real issue that I should probably look at 7D? The high ISO performance of 6D seems much better than that of 7D from what I read. Or am I mistaken? Also, the photos from a FF do seem to
...Show more

Only you can determine whether having an uncropped view (ala 6D) is really going to hurt you or if you need more pixels-per-duck of the 7D.

Personally, I'd probably take the cleaner pixels of the 6D over the 7D unless I just shot a lot of sports and needed the more flexible AF / FPS.

As a previous OMD owner, I'll also echo the sentiments on AF-C -- it's just not there. AF-S is fine under most circumstances and pretty darn fast, but tracking anything moving is futile. Easier to pre-focus on a spot and tag them when they cross the focal plane (or AF-S constantly and try to get them that way)

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:21 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need advice: Canon 6D vs OM-D E-M5

baskars wrote:

I have both 6D and OM-D. I use both for my 9 mo baby girl.

For AF tracking, DSLRs win hands-down. But if you are taking shots of your 6 mo baby, AF tracking is useless because their movements are not predictable. Face-detection and fast single-shot AF work MUCH MUCH better. I get a lot more keepers with my OM-D. Some pro in this forum had the same experience when he compared D800 to 5D3 to OM-D.

Having said that, the image quality of 6D is a lot nicer... especially with that beautiful shallow DOF.

Apr 06, 2013 at 11:33 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password