Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2013 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

ggOk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

EBH.. you are right.. but fact that it's not same irks me

/r
Andy

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Chumma
• •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

May I make a suggestion..

In case anyone happens to do this test again, with a little extra effort, it is possible to record the individual file sizes of the images recorded on each card. Just imagine if you have an Excel spreadsheet with the filenames and file sizes for the individual files on each card in separate sheets in the spreadsheet. You could find out the minimum file size, maximum file size, average size, average bytes/MB per written to a card per second etc. You could find out the standard deviation of file sizes for the different cards and compare. Of course, this will not change the test results. But this will provide more visibility and granularity into the test results. This may also help to alleviate any concern due to differences in file sizes. Besides, it will serve as documentation of the test results to support the conclusions.

Here is an example of how you can do this without much effort.

1. Create a batch program to redirect the file information to a text file. For example, on my Windows 7 machine, I have my CF cord in my G: drive. The card has images in the folder “G:\DCIM\100EOS5D”, and I want the file size information in a text file named “filelist.txt” in my “My Documents” folder. The full path for my My Documents folder is “C:\Users\Photographer\Documents”.
I open Notepad and type the following
dir G:\DCIM\100EOS5D > C:\Users\Photographer\Documents\filelist.txt
I saved it onto my desktop with a file extension of “.bat” (remember old DOS days?). The file name I chose is “photos.bat” and it is on my desktop.

2. After testing the first card in the camera, insert the card in the drive (in my case G:drive), click on the “photos.bat” icon on the desktop.

3. Go to My Documents folder and you will find a text file called “filelist.txt”. Open it in Notepad, copy the columnar information containing, filenames, date/time of creation, and file sizes and paste into a new sheet in an Excel spreadsheet (ignore the unwanted information). Highlight the pasted text in the spreadsheet, go to the Data menu, and using the Text to Columns feature, convert the data into columnar format. Rename that sheet with the name of the card you just tested.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for other cards. Remember the filelist.txt will be overwritten each time you click the batch file.

Just a suggestion.

Jul 19, 2014 at 03:57 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Why is it you aren't doing that?

Jul 21, 2014 at 09:28 PM
Chumma
• •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Andrew J wrote:
Why is it you aren't doing that?

I'm just a photo hobbyist and don't have the interest to do the card tests. sorry. I just made a suggestion.

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Lars, thanks for posting that information. I have never seen it so succinctly put. You covered my 1DX bodies, the D800's aren't an issue because they are slow as molasses. I'm guessing one could interpolate those results and feel pretty safe in saying the Lexar 1000X is going to give you better performance than the rest in any body you plug it into. I have standardized on Lexar 32GB 1000X cards for now.

Jul 31, 2014 at 03:32 AM
retrosi

p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Hello I am new here and was looking for speed comparisons of CF cards because I have a new 32gb CF Transcend 800x which is supposed to have 120mb read & 40mb write with udma 7 guaranteed to 20mb for video.
I use mainly my 1d MKIV & I have managed this;
Manual mode; ISO 100; TV 1000sec; AV f/3.5; Raw only just the CF no SD.
I set the camera to view a white piece of paper in full, took off auto focus and used a remote, with my stopwatch lap time feature to allow for stop time when buffer full and then to continue until buffer empty.
36 photos in 3.48 seconds and the buffer was full with the camera stopping to take pictures and then a further 10.13 seconds to clear the buffer.
Each file remember is Raw and of a clean white sheet of paper & as expected the file size therefore is 16.2mb
The camera will carry on taking photos after a second or two but only as much and as quick as the buffer clears to the card, so clearly not at the 10fps rate.

So I am wondering how you managed to get so much more writing to the card in your 1d MKIV.
In jpeg mode large no RAW the buffer goes all the way up to the 99 image limit before it stops as per the settings.

Any thoughts why (not your 1dx) the two 1d MKIV's are so far apart, the cards aren't too far apart, your 600x transcend of course v my 800x?
As I am struggling to fathom how you managed to get such an extremely high amount of photos and a 30 second burst at that, the buffer on mine fills in as above under 4 seconds at 10fps.
I obviously can reduce this in the setting but feel the ppoint is to see how much & quick these cards are.
Cheers for any pointers where I am going wrong, retrosi...

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM
retrosi

p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Okay I know this is an old thread but am going to add some more, just to say I have been away from photography for a number of years due to illness and thus the reason for a late entry into this CF speed debate.

I did a second test with as near as dam settings,
1d MKIV Manual, Auto focus off, full view of white sheet of paper, 15.9mb files this time.
TV 4000 sec, AV f5.6, & 28mm lens. Used a remote & phone lap time stopwatch.

This time I got a full 42 frames before buffer was full, slightly smaller file!
This style of only shooting until the buffer is full and not continuing allows for the cameras buffer to be rated prior to the card being written to, so 42 files at 15.9mb = 667.8mb divided by the 5.69 seconds for the buffer to fill and stop writing to the card gives 117.363mb per sec in the camera to write to the buffer.
And then the remaining 10.35 seconds to write that full buffer to the card which is 64.521mbs per second.

Which is why I feel simply holding the remote until the cameras buffer is full and then timing the card to clear the buffer gives a truer reflection on a cards write speed.

Other wise (well I call it stutter write read/ write read, ie, after the buffer is full, writes a few images to the card while it takes a few more images stops then writes thus clearing a bit of the buffer which allows another image or two to be taken and so on.) because the card is doing reading and writing when it has cleared a little space so stops writing when full again which means you're not checking its write speed properly.

Anyhoo...this time I continued to hold the remote and at 28 seconds the 99 file limit kicked in.
So 99*15.9mb =1.574gb times 1024mb to give true mb/sec rate = 1611.776mb
1611.776mb divided by 28 seconds = 57.5634 mb per sec
And of course 99 files/frames divided by 28 seconds = 3.535 fps

Which goes some way to a point of using a 30 second burst is not a good way to test the cards true write speed because it is waiting for the camera to do stuff instead of just writing, or reading.
Any views? Cheers Retrosi...

Sep 15, 2014 at 03:04 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password