Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

Gregstx
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

I saw a mention about this elsewhere. If you are holding on to the body of your Nikon DSLR, how large a lens can you hang on the front of the body without flexing the body/lens mount? Any theories or factual information out there?

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:22 PM
DorkSterr

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

I always recommend bracing the lens no matter the size & weight of lens, but if one was to find the breaking point of the mount (lets say metal lens mount and not plastic) I'm pretty even an 800mm would be fine I'd be very scared trying it on the 1200-1700mm. 25lbs+.

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:49 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

WRONG!!!
Nikon warns against even the 200 f2 as being able to distort the front mount of the camera.

Apr 04, 2013 at 10:12 PM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

Simple logic that high school science students will be able to answer without going for a PHD degree.
Hold on to the camera if the lens is lighter than camera, but when the lens is heavier than the camera hold it by the lens. 10 points!

The camera and lens mounts are suppose to be able to take the camera's weight with some extra margin for grip and flash, but with huge and heavy gimbals and brackets, you are at your own risk.

Apr 04, 2013 at 10:38 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

I carry the camera using a Black Rapid or, depending on the situation, a Hold Fast. Both can easily be connected to the foot of a large lens. So, every lens with a collar is connected directly to the BR or HF. So, for me that is the 70-200 and up.

Apr 04, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

As a silly rule of thumb. Any lens larger than your palm need to be held by the lens.

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:58 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

I hang my 400 2.8 from my D70 all the time......that's right....i have a 400 2.8, but only have a D70......

j/k.

70-200 and larger for me.

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:18 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

In my experience, if the lens has a collar, don't support the rig with just the camera mount.

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:43 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

I always try to have one hand on the lens regardless of its size and weight. It is just more comfortable for me and probably helps minimize movement as well.

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

hans98ko wrote:
Simple logic that high school science students will be able to answer without going for a PHD degree.
Hold on to the camera if the lens is lighter than camera, but when the lens is heavier than the camera hold it by the lens. 10 points!

The camera and lens mounts are suppose to be able to take the camera's weight with some extra margin for grip and flash, but with huge and heavy gimbals and brackets, you are at your own risk.

+1

I usually try to hold the lens anyways, even if it's 24-70 or a 24/1.4

I grip the camera body with my right hand (to use controls, etc.), and hold the lens with my palm up, so my fingers can manipulate the zoom and/or focus rings. That's my standard grip unless something is on a tripod.

If you're talking about things hanging (with a neck/shoulder strap) around your neck, I will let a 70-200 hang on my camera body, pointing down. Anything larger usually comes with its own strap, and I'll use that (200/2, etc.)

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:31 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

Steve Perry wrote:
In my experience, if the lens has a collar, don't support the rig with just the camera mount.

This is my logic -

but I have yet to experience anything larger than a 200/2 - when I got that it felt like too much for the D7K mount - I felt flex that I had never felt before.

Apr 05, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

Mount a lens. If you feel that it's gonna rip the mount, it probably will!

Apr 05, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

Oops - forgot to mention in my post above that I almost always use a tripod. For the 5% of my work that's handheld, I always have one hand supporting the lens from underneath.

Apr 05, 2013 at 02:01 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

this thread needs more pictures...

http://www.jrcompton.com/photos/d7000pix/mild_CU_of_D7000_lens_mount-P1430092.jpg

not mine, but proof that things can go wrong

reading the page this image is lifted from, it states "When my cat knocked my Nikon D7000 attached to my 300mm f2.8 Nikkor lens off my desk..."

I used to carry the big Canon L lenses hanging off EOS-1n bodies all the time, but clearly, you can't hold them and shoot them that way. However, on a pro body, you should be able to lift a 13 pound lens hanging down holding on to the body only. I did it for years, with no bad effect.

Apr 05, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

Ouch.... I wonder how the lens came out on this crash?

Apr 05, 2013 at 06:52 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

Wow, amazing that the mount is only screwed to plastic on the d7k...that's reassuring.....wonder what the back side of a d700/d800 or even a d3 looks like....

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:23 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

pburke wrote:
I used to carry the big Canon L lenses hanging off EOS-1n bodies all the time, but clearly, you can't hold them and shoot them that way. However, on a pro body, you should be able to lift a 13 pound lens hanging down holding on to the body only. I did it for years, with no bad effect.

I'd advise caution with this. I used to hang my long glass off my D3x just as you describe and the mount held just fine. However, in time I noticed one side of my frame wasn't as sharp as the other. A new mount to fix the one I'd bent with my hanging lenses cured the problem. The issue was imperceptible upon viewing, but it was there. What we used to get away with on film / lower res digital cameras doesn't work when the MP counts gets up there.

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:45 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

The back and top of a D7000 are magnesium. The front and bottom are not. The lensmount is screwed only into plastic.

The D800 has a full magnesium frame, including the front lens mounting area.

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:50 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

NathanHamler wrote:
Wow, amazing that the mount is only screwed to plastic on the d7k...that's reassuring.....wonder what the back side of a d700/d800 or even a d3 looks like....

The frame built for any camera is easily found on a Google image search.

Frankly, the "screwed into plastic" thing doesn't bother me much. It's beefy plastic mounted to a magnesium frame, so most impacts that will destroy the mount (as that one was destroyed) are going to damage and/or deform a metal mount.

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:05 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How much lens can you hang on your Nikon DSLR.

Only the top and back of the D7000 are magnesium. The front and bottom are plastic.
http://www.jafaphotography.com/nikon_D7000.htm
Go about 1/4 down the page.

The front mount is not very close to the magnesium frame.

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.