Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · "Out of the mountain of despair,...

dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Out of the mountain of despair,...

...a stone of hope."

Yesterday I went down to the Tidal Basin before work to scout out cherry blossom locations. The blossoms aren't out yet, but this was also the first chance I've had to visit the relatively new Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial on one corner of the Tidal Basin. The the early morning light giving nice modeling the figure and textures, and the rare lack of tourists that early, I decided to use the time to explore the memorial photographically.

The basic design is based on the quote excerpted from King's "I Have a Dream Speech". Visitors enter through a slot in the "Mountain of Despair" created by the removal of the "Stone of Hope", which is moved forward and holds the sculpture of King, looking out over the Tidal Basin. It is significant that the setting will usually be surrounded by blooming cherries on this, the day of the anniversary of King's assassination (though not this year).

Though the design lends itself of a variety of angles and dramatic treatment of light and shadow, I decided this fairly subdued and straightforward approach was most suited to the occasion and to show off the intended theme of the memorial. This is a four-frame panorama with three exposures each, blended initially with TuFuse Pro and completed with manual blending.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Dave

Apr 05, 2013 at 01:54 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Out of the mountain of despair,...

Very nice image Dave

Morris

Apr 05, 2013 at 01:43 PM
fmartinmn

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Out of the mountain of despair,...

I like the composition, nice job, it says a lot. To me, it says, the man and his ideas were greater than the challenges he faced and ultimately he succeeded. Frank.

Apr 06, 2013 at 11:03 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Out of the mountain of despair,...

Thanks Morris and Frank. The memorial has had some problems, but viewed the right way it can be very moving.

Dave

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:38 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password