Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Studio B

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Hello everyone,

Does your Nikon D800 top LCD display stay on after camera has been turned off. When turned off, my display reads
"CF SD< [399]" which are the frames remaining for the SD card installed.

Just wondering if this is normal to have the display stay on and not time out after a minute or so.

TIA

SB

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:02 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

All models with top lcd are always on. Showing basic info

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Studio B

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Thanks guy!

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Studio B

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

So I turned the camera off last night with 94% battery life. This morning I turn it on and the battery has dropped to 88%. It would appear this LCD screen does drain batteries rather quickly.

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:40 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Studio B wrote:
So I turned the camera off last night with 94% battery life. This morning I turn it on and the battery has dropped to 88%. It would appear this LCD screen does drain batteries rather quickly.

That's not normal. You might have a problem with that body.

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:53 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

I've noticed, having bought a lot of camera bodies in the last year (D800, D800e, D600, D7100), that the new EN-EL15 batteries seem to drain fast at first. Then, as they go through a few charge cycles, they stabilize and hold charges better. There's most likely nothing wrong with your camera. Just use it and quit worrying... But, be sure you own a backup battery... that goes with the territory. I have three, and have only ever needed two.

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:00 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

I've had the same battery in my backup D800 for 3 weeks now since last charged, still showing almost completely full.

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Studio B

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

ckcarr wrote:
I've noticed, having bought a lot of camera bodies in the last year (D800, D800e, D600, D7100), that the new EN-EL15 batteries seem to drain fast at first. Then, as they go through a few charge cycles, they stabilize and hold charges better. There's most likely nothing wrong with your camera. Just use it and quit worrying... But, be sure you own a backup battery... that goes with the territory. I have three, and have only ever needed two.

That's a good point about cycling them a few times. I do have a backup and a grip.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

The reason for a relative quick drain on a new body is that an internal battery is getting charged. After a few charges is this not an issue anymore (info: Thom Hogan manual)

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:47 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Studio B wrote:
That's a good point about cycling them a few times. I do have a backup and a grip.

Is your battery a 3rd party grip? or a GENUINE nikon grip?? I have a 3rd part grip for my d300's, and on both bodies, it all of a sudden just started draining the batteries automatically.....either in the grip, or in the camera...doesn't matter.....it does it to both.....i've had other issues happen with my D7000's 3rd party grip as well.....causes the mirror to lock up when the battery gets close to empty, causes corrupt files, etc.....bad news all around.....

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:35 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Studio B wrote:

They are lithium ion batteries that require NO cycling.

Apr 05, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Studio B

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

It's the battery, I swapped it out last night for another one I have. The new one was at 99% when I turned the camera off, this morning it's still at 99%.

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:50 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Yes, but maybe the internal battery is now fully charged
Seems like more thorough testing is in order..

Apr 06, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Was this a new body, and you put in the battery for the first time? Then it's normal. The camera has an internal battery that keeps the clock running, and this battery needs to be charged.

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:47 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Not true There is a proper 'care and feeding' routine to get the most out of lithium-ions
despite claims to the contrary. They need to start their rotation fully charged and not again
until they're down to around 20%. Rinse, repeat 3X. After that only recharge just prior to
using and you'll enjoy a long life together. I'm a retired contractor and coaxed years out of
dozens 18/24V lithiums using this approach. Also, try to keep charging and storing temps
in the 40-80 degree range. Proof's in da puddin' kids, I have D2X and D3 batts 5 years old
that still read (0) or (1) and EN-EL15's with over 100K actuations that are over 2 yrs and
all still read (0) Just sayin'

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:18 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

eskimochaos wrote:

No, lithium batteries don't need cycling. However, most battery powered devices calibrate their battery meters as they go through a couple charge/discharge cycles.

That's why so many people experience an improvement to battery life as they cycle their batteries - it's not that the batteries are actually lasting longer, it's that the battery meters are more accurately reading the battery level.

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Red G8R
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

The only internal battery I'm aware of is a small "button" battery (CR1616) that's used to maintain certain functions such as date/time. It is not rechargeable but lasts about 4 years.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Studio B

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon D800 top LCD still displays after camera is turned off?

Red G8R wrote:
The only internal battery I'm aware of is a small "button" battery (CR1616) that's used to maintain certain functions such as date/time. It is not rechargeable but lasts about 4 years.

Page 28 of the manual states;

"The Clock Battery
The camera clock is powered by an independent, rechargeable power
source, which is charged as necessary when the main battery is installed or the camera is powered by an optional EP-5B power connector and EH-5b AC adapter (p 387). Two days of charging will power the clock for about three months. If the B icon flashes in the control panel, the clock battery is exhausted and the clock has been reset. Set the clock to the correct time and date."

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:51 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.