Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

jaehoppa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

I was just curious. Are there any differences optically between older date code lenses and newer date code lenses of the same type.
Disregard this part. my mistake ((((For example, I have a UJ date coded 135L lens, which I believe is made in 1969. Would a UA date coded 135L perform better because it's about 40 years newer? ))))))

Oops i think UJ 135L is made in 1995

My question, still, is, would a UA date code lens have better optical quality than an older (for example UJ) counterpart?

Edited on Apr 04, 2013 at 08:23 PM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

A 40 year old EF lens?

UL is 1995.

Edited on Apr 04, 2013 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:20 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #3 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

just realized haha
it would be 1995

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:20 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #4 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

It's not the date that matters. It's the specific model of the lens. Example. There are going to be a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS and a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II made this year. In a few years, it won't be the year that decides which lens is better, it will be the model of the lens. The 70-200 f/2.8 IS II will be better, because it is a better model. If a lens is taken care of with even the slightest caution, the optics shouldn't decline in quality at all.

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

if it is that date code then it must be one of the first ones made . as on the canon museum it lists the 135L as April 1996

by the way the number after the 2 letters represents the month .

Edited on Apr 04, 2013 at 08:36 PM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:35 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #6 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

Yeah I definitely know that there are optical differences between a mark I and mark II lenses but what I want to know is whether Canon makes any slightest optical changes throughout the production years of a single lens. For example, I know the canon 24mm f2.8 lens was introduced back in 1988 and was discontinued recently. During the two decades of production there were no optical changes to the lens?
I'm not talking about whether a lens was used and stored properly or whether fungus or mold has any effect.

Edited on Apr 04, 2013 at 08:41 PM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:35 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

There are slight variations in parts, but I don't think the optical quality is any different between date codes.

For example, to repair (front rim) my metal-mount 50 mm f/1.8 (made in 1989) there is a part I need which is not the same as the part made in the later part of that lens.

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

in theory no changes are made to the spec of the lens in its life . if there were any then unless they were very minor canon would make a fuss and call it mk2

but I know there are lenses that have different switches etc so its possible a lens has changed a bit during its life span . but I can see much of any significance changing.
if you think about it , say a lens was changed in some more major way (optical or mechanicaly) then you would have problems when an old one was sent for repair .

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:41 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #9 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
if it is that date code then it must be one of the first ones made . as on the canon museum it lists the 135L as April 1996

Oh cool. Didn't know when it was introduced and mine does say UJ.
So, would my lens be exactly the same as the new ones currently being sold?
No changes to the AF motor or coating?

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:41 PM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #10 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

This whole date code debacle seems to be a much more recent thing.. I recall 10 years ago when no one would really care about the date code in the b/s forum.

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

stan23 wrote:
This whole date code debacle seems to be a much more recent thing.. I recall 10 years ago when no one would really care about the date code in the b/s forum.

Stupid internet.

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

Some buyers get preoccupied with dates codes because they use this to leverage a lower price on an "older" lens --- though it has no bearing on the quality of the lens. Honestly, I can't tell the difference, new lens or old lens, they all taste the same to me.

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:09 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Are there optical differences between different date codes?

Ben Horne wrote:
Some buyers get preoccupied with dates codes because they use this to leverage a lower price on an "older" lens --- though it has no bearing on the quality of the lens. Honestly, I can't tell the difference, new lens or old lens, they all taste the same to me.

yeah i guess you could flip it the other way and call it a CLASSIC

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password