Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

jtjacka

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

@trenchmonkey Which lenses would you recommend for use with both DX and FX? It would make me much more comfortable getting a DX body if I didn't have to sell everything if I ever decided to switch to FX.

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:53 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

I'm currently using the following with my D7K/D7.1K and couldn't be happier. (BTW, they're ALL even better on FX)

Sigma (A) 35 f1.4
Nikon 85 f1.8G
Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II
Nikon AF-S 300 f4

It really depends what you're shooting, my livelihood is youth rodeo/BIF so a landscape guy would think I'm on crack.

The D7.1K sure paints a beautiful picture for $1200

NIKON D7100    122mm    f/3.5    1/1000s    160 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Edited on Apr 05, 2013 at 10:28 PM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:04 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

I really think you should try out the D7100, D600 and 800. Go to a camera store, and load on a standard zoom and try to imagine yourself up in the mountains and hiking around. Perhaps you have a friend with one of these cameras....or hang out at some popular photo locations, and you'll probably run into someone with one of these. I'm always happy to let someone try mine out for a few secs.

Personally, I think you could take fine shots with any of them. Personally, I'd have a hard time going back to DX as the viewfinder is so small. Especially when using ultrawides, there's something special about the viewfinder on FX. This might sound trivial, but if you're super into photography it makes a difference.

You will lose more money in the end by buying a compromise, being unsatisfied, and then selling and buying what you really want. You may not even know what you "really want" yet, so that's why I'd try to get into a store, etc. and try them out.

Personally, I have no problem hiking with my D800. I don't try to maintain it as a museum piece. I got one of the Black Rapids RS77s, and it's actually quite comfortable to wear around even with a big 24-70 on board. Actually, I'm holding onto it half the time so I don't miss shots. I'm a younger guy in decent shape though. My dad likes his iphone and actually does pretty well with it.

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:25 PM
jtjacka

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

I have taken the D3s hiking with the 70-200 VRII and the 14-24mm and I absolutely loved it. I would most likely be getting a Black Rapid strap. My boss has one and loves it.

I am going to head to a camera store tonight and check out all of them again. Best Buy is the best place for cameras right? J/k.

@trenchmonkey You're right those probably aren't the lenses that would be best for me. But that is a very nice picture.

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Buy lenses for the camera you have, not the one you think you might get later. Buying lenses that aren't a good fit for your system will cripple you. I buy as much of my stuff used as possible, including lenses. I currently am using a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 as the main lens for weddings and landscapes. If I get another camera format, I can easily sell that lens for what I paid for it. (Unlike the camera I originally bought it for, which is now worth about 1/4 of what I paid for it.) Buy the lenses that work well with the SYSTEM. Think SYSTEM, not pieces. I likely will eventually sell the 17-55mm, to go down in size to a smaller format. They are improving rapidly. My goal is always the smallest, lightest system that will give me saleable results. Right now that's the D7100. In the future it will be something even smaller and more convenient for international travel and "adventure" photography.

Kent in SD

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:58 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Two23 wrote:
Buy lenses for the camera you have, not the one you think you might get later. Buying lenses that aren't a good fit for your system will cripple you. I buy as much of my stuff used as possible, including lenses. I currently am using a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 as the main lens for weddings and landscapes.

Kent in SD

Totally agree here. I see a lot of folks on the various forums getting 24-70s for their DX cameras...You'll get fine results but IMO the 17-55 would be better as you retain the wider end. The 17-55 is a fine lens and it retains value well--so you won't lose tons if you sell again later, especially if you're buying used.

I have a friend with a 17-55 and D200 and he's been getting great outdoor shots for years.

I've had pretty good luck with used/refurbs myself. I pretty much solely buy refurbished. It's my compromise between used and new as there is a bit of a warranty in there. A lot of people like KEH as they have used stuff for sale, generally grade conservatively, and offer warranties.

Apr 06, 2013 at 12:03 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

jtjacka wrote:
@MDoc9523 What lens do you carry around for your D600?

I use almost totally Nikkor manual focus lenses. They are light, sharp, fast and reasonably priced. Look at mt profile for the list of lenses that I have.

Apr 06, 2013 at 12:19 AM
jlawrence
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

my d600 came in today.

love it.

trying to get rid of my d7000 as we speak.

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

jlawrence wrote:
my d600 came in today.

love it.

That's nice, and this helps the OP how?

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:26 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Two23 wrote:
Buy lenses for the camera you have, not the one you think you might get later. Buying lenses that aren't a good fit for your system will cripple you. I buy as much of my stuff used as possible, including lenses. I currently am using a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 as the main lens for weddings and landscapes. If I get another camera format, I can easily sell that lens for what I paid for it. (Unlike the camera I originally bought it for, which is now worth about 1/4 of what I paid for it.) Buy the lenses that work
...Show more

Excellent advice as usual Kent.

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NikonDeb
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

I have the Olympus micro 4/3 EM5 and made a 30x40 canvas and it looks GREAT! And...it was shot with the kit lens

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:24 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

jlawrence wrote:
my d600 came in today.

love it.

Might as well keep it because it's worth a lot more than it will ever sell for. Plus you have a GREAT back up camera!

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:00 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

I have all three + the V1.
They were pretty much equally hard for me to learn.
The exception was the D3 and D4 that I just picked up and started shooting.
They all use the same battery and SD cards.
The D800 uses a CF card in the second slot.

I use the V1 and D800 for Video and hikes.
The D800 is better for both except a lot heavier and costlier.
If you shoot Landscape and Architecture, the D800 is the way to go.

The D7100 is the "new flagship DX camera".
I think it is "for the birds". It is best for extending long lens.

The D600 is in between and I would have traded it for a D800e except my wife really likes it.

To me, they all seem to be priced right and worth the money,
but if I could only have one it would be the D800.

No new camera body is a good investment unless it is specialized for the pictures you sell.
Mint used Pro Glass actually goes up in value, at least mine has.

Apr 08, 2013 at 12:45 AM
jtjacka

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Two23 wrote:
Buy lenses for the camera you have, not the one you think you might get later. Buying lenses that aren't a good fit for your system will cripple you. I buy as much of my stuff used as possible, including lenses. I currently am using a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 as the main lens for weddings and landscapes.

This does look like a very nice lens. Which is the best DX lens comparable to the 14-24mm. I have used that lens quite a bit and I love it.

So I went to Glazer's in Seattle and tested out all 3 body's a little. Definitely seems like it is a bit hard to tell which one I like the most. None of them seem like they would be an issue to hike with. I was impressed with how small the D800 is.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:52 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes almost all of those photos on my zenfolio were taken with the D7000 and a few with the d40. You can certainly get nice photos with it and I have been very happy overall. I feel like I have improved as a photographer and that it could do everything I needed. Lately I have been doing more and more large prints and I feel like I am running up against the limits of the resolution. It took me a couple of years however to get to that point. Do what you feel in your gut is the right thing. There are so many great cameras out there. You really have a hard time picking a lousy one. If finances are not a huge concern go with the latest and greatest. If the are a big issue go with a used DX save some money with lenses and then decide where to spend the big bucks. Brian

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:38 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

If money and weight are no object, I would go with the D800/e. You may need to upgrade your computer for the larger files. If you do mostly WA landscapes, the D800 would probably be better for any big enlargements.

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

jtjacka wrote:
This does look like a very nice lens. Which is the best DX lens comparable to the 14-24mm. I have used that lens quite a bit and I love it.

After trying several lenses, I ended up with the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. Being a night shooter, I like the f2.8. Lens has very little distortion and is quite sharp. The 16mm end fits nicely with the Nikon 17-55mm. I think it's the best of the ultrawides. If Nikon made it, it would be over a $1,000 for sure.

In the great scheme of things, cameras rarely make much difference for you, but lenses are what determines what you can photo and how.

Kent in SD

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:21 PM
jtjacka

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Two23 wrote:
After trying several lenses, I ended up with the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. Being a night shooter, I like the f2.8. Lens has very little distortion and is quite sharp. The 16mm end fits nicely with the Nikon 17-55mm. I think it's the best of the ultrawides. If Nikon made it, it would be over a $1,000 for sure.

This does look like a very nice lens. I have mainly been leaning towards the D7100 now because it will allow me to get more lenses and a nice tripod immediately.

Also, I updated my SkyDrive with an up to date estimate on what I will be buying here: http://sdrv.ms/14HsMcK

Apr 09, 2013 at 07:34 PM
biggbird
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Andre Labonte wrote:
That's nice, and this helps the OP how?

By suggesting that the D600 is a nice camera and worth buying? Seems reasonable to me.

For what it's worth OP, I use a D800 and happily take it bushwalking (as it it correctly called ) with me. The weight, at least to me, is not a significant issue.

I have nothing against the D7100, by all accounts it's a stunning camera, but I get the feeling from this thread that you are the sort of person who will likely want to upgrade in the near future if you buy a DX camera, as they are perceived (wrongly) as being lesser cameras. Seems to me that you've had more experience with FX cameras and lenses, and have enjoyed them, so if you have the money, why not?

Having said that, everyone suggesting you can spend more on lenses now if you were to go the DX route is completely correct. And lenses tend to make a bigger difference on the whole as compared to bodies. However, if you weigh the potential savings now against the cost of changing to FX at a later date... I'm not really sure that you would come out all that far ahead. There are the arguments to be made for simply using FX lenses on DX bodies, but I think there are some limitations to this.

This is especially considering that you are likely to be looking more at the wide end of the spectrum, which is the place where FX really differs from DX in terms of lenses. To my mind, one sees a smaller difference in usability between a 70-200 on both FX and DX as opposed to the difference between a 24-70 or 14-24. Not that either of those lenses aren't usable on DX, they absolutely are, but I don't see one getting as much from them as if they were used on FX.

Anyway, that is probably a whole post full of contradictions which will give you no help whatsoever, sorry! End of the day, I get the feeling you would be happiest with an FX camera and FX lenses, and seem to be happy to spend the money to get them, so why not? But hey, it isn't my money, so it's easy to spend!

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Diavolo
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

I'm in the same decision boat and I ruled out the D7100 because of the buffer alone.

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:27 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password