Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Defy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

First time photog.... and starting with a D800...wooh ! But If you have the money more power to ya!

My vote then is D800/16-35/50mm 1.4/ 28-300mm and find a mentor (this site is good for that)

Apr 05, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

@Kent You have some very good points about thinking of all of this as a system. Luckily I work as a Web Developer so I do already have a very powerful computer system with the full Adobe Master Collection and even have Lightroom so that part of the system is taken care of. I have looked into the D5200 and I believe I would out grow that camera very quickly.

Kent sums up exactly what I'd do, if I was in you position. I have 40 years plus with these picture boxes and while I have the D3s, D3x and D800e as my current bodies, the D5200 would serve 98% of my needs today if I were shooting macro or landscapes. Keep as much cash in reserve as possible, you'll need it when you find what area you prefer to shoot. Anyone here knows, glass will be a constant demand on your wallet. If the bug grabs you, it wont be long you'll be trying to justify how that $3000 lens is needed, then the $6000 lens is worth it, then of course the $10,999 will be next. It does not end.

The D5200 would be an excellent choice to begin your journey. Buy the best glass you can afford and shoot daily.
Get going on the learning curve, you have the best equipment today to enter this field.
Good luck.

Gerard

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:39 AM
jtjacka

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

I have a D4 and the D7100 And a few lenses that might be of interest to you. If Bellevue isn't too far away for you and you would like to give any of my gear a spin, feel free to drop me a PM. Cheers!

I have used the D4 quite a bit so it would be really nice to see this side by side with a DX format camera. I'll drop you a PM.

So there seems to be two camps forming a D800 camp and a D5200 camp. What reasons are there to go with the D5200 over the D7100? Is it just size and cost?

Hopefully you are young and strong, carry a D800 plus FX lenses hiking? The reason to buy the Pentax is for the prime limited lenses, small and light.

I am young and strong so I am not terribly worried about weight. I have looked at the Pentax however I do have some access to Nikon lenses. Also, my girlfriend has a Nikon body so we could share lenses much easier if I stick to Nikon as well.

Edited on Apr 05, 2013 at 03:40 PM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2013 at 05:03 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

As much as I would love a D800 (or a D600), my product/pics/photos are limited by my skills and I am yet to reach beyond what my D7k can produce.

FX, full frame for the viewfinder. No doubt. But if Bob Krist can walk around with a couple of DX bodies, one with a 16-85 and the other a 70-300 = a couple of fast primes and can sell his product to National Geographic then we all know it isnt the gear that holds us back.

Tim

Apr 05, 2013 at 05:26 AM
ocir
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Go with F/X and don't look back. In my case, I went with the DX route first but every time I was itching for an F/X upgrade. If the decision is between D800 and D600, how much storage does your PC have? I have the D800 and a 1TB hard drive but I still found myself needing more so I bought an extra 1TB external HD.

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Two23 wrote:
For you, the one really BIG thing the D7100 offers is a 24mp camera at a great price. Modern state of art FX lenses are expensive. The equivalent lenses for DX are less so. I personally would not spend the big money on a camera and then use the 20-30 yr. old lenses on it. (There are a few exceptions such as 28-75mm f2.8.) Just as cameras have changed over the past quarter century, lenses have changed every bit as as much. Another important piece is the tripod and head--a good one goes for something like $800. Why would you
...Show more

+10

Apr 05, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

ocir wrote:
Go with F/X and don't look back. In my case, I went with the DX route first but every time I was itching for an F/X upgrade. If the decision is between D800 and D600, how much storage does your PC have? I have the D800 and a 1TB hard drive but I still found myself needing more so I bought an extra 1TB external HD.

FX is expensive and has few advantages for the nature photographer who does both landscape and wildlife. If all you do is landscape, then I guess FX works quite well, but if you are doing animals, especially birds, DX is the way to go. Also, to get a particular FOV, you need smaller, lighter lenses for DX which is another advantage when hiking. Again, this is especially true if doing wildlife.

If I were the OP just starting out, I would go with the following:

D5200 or D7100
16-85 DX AF-S VR
50 f/1.8 AF-S
70-300 AF-S VR

This is a great light-weight travel kit that has 95% of the performance of much more expensive glass and will allow you to truly explore photography.

Note: the 5% you loose is NOT IQ, but things like super wide, super long, and super speed. You don't know what you need yet ... learn with a simple lightweight kit. Getting wider, longer or faster is expensive and will involve lots of bulk and weight ... two things you do not want when hiking.

Apr 05, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

jtjacka wrote:
So there seems to be two camps forming a D800 camp and a D5200 camp. What reasons are there to go with the D5200 over the D7100? Is it just size and cost?

I am young and strong so I am not terribly worried about weight. I have looked at the Pentax however I do have some access to Nikon lenses. Also, my girlfriend has a Nikon body so we could share lenses much easier if I stick to Nikon as well.

1. Yes, the size of the D5200 is smaller and it's a bit lighter. It uses the same sensor as the D7100 too. The fold out screen is very useful if you do macro (flowers, bugs.) BUT, if you are seriously thinking of wildlife then the D7100 suddenly jumps ahead. It has the same autofocus system as the $6,000 D4! The AF alone is reason to choose it over the D600 for wildlife. Because it concentrates 24mp into a tighter area, it also gives a huge advantage for wildlife too. A Nikon 70-300mm VR suddenly becomes a useful lens for wildlife on the D7100. You would need a 450mm lens on a D800 to get the equivalent, and it would be MUCH bigger and heavier. That means a bigger, heavier tripod too. The D7100 is the best camera for a backpacking wildlife photographer. No-brainer. Pair it with the new 80-400mm VR and WOW! It's as near perfection as Nikon can offer.

2. I used to take all day hikes with my Nikon F5, f2.8 lenses, and even a Nikon 500mm f4. It does become a pain in the butt very quickly. You will also find you tend to take fewer photos with gear that is heavy and you have to dig it out of a backpack etc. I quickly sold the F5 and got an F100. And then an F80 for backpacking. As for lenses, you are correct that being able to share lenses is very efficient. However, if they are just old consumer lenses, personally I wouldn't bother. If the lenses were made in the past ~10 years, they are probably OK. The number one mistake a beginner makes is to put a ton of money on a camera and then go cheap on the important thing--lenses.

Kent in SD

Apr 05, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Celbrett
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson. The rest doesn't matter so much. I believe they call it "NAS" and there is no wrong answer.

Apr 05, 2013 at 12:53 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Welcome Jeff.

I have the D7100 now, and purchased it specifically for use on interiors and landscape type work. I have coupled it with a Sigma 8-16 for the UWA stuff at this point and just posted an example of how that works for me here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1201880/0#11465586

I had the D600 with the Sigma 12-24, but just sold them in favor of this setup. Why? Well, since this part of my work is not really hobby, the cost of the parts is one level of the equation. If you are on a budget, this seems a good option of them all.

I don't get the same DR, but do get extra DOF at wider F stops. For me, that is the trade off. I wanted more DOF (apparent) that the crop body affords with a wider aperture. So, I can shoot my work at or near the lenses sweet spot (typically F7.1 - F9) and get the hyper focal to work and bring most everything into sharp focus.

If you look at the corner crop on that image posted, you can see how it holds up in the corner of an image, and add to that the distance I stood from the meter was about 1' or less. I shot it at F8. FX doesn't quite offer that and so that was my reason for getting the D7.1k.

YMMV.

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rodmcwha
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

A lot of differing opinions, because different people have different priorities.
I would advise you to stay with Nikon and, at least in the beginning, stay with af-s lenses. Except, maybe, the sigma uw.
(95% of nikon users aren't having problems with equipment-look back at trenchmonkeys posts).
Happy users are more likely to be out shooting rather than posting.
Manual focusing, on dslrs, is an acquired taste-you may not like it at all.
Weight IS an issue, even if you are young and strong. Add a pro body and 3 or 4 pro lenses, and you have half the capacity of your backpack even before you add a tripod.
The 7100 would be a great choice, but so would the others-weigh what is important to you with the features of each.
(to me, the feel of a pro body is important-as you get to the smaller bodies, this size, with my large hands, causes pain after extended use.)
The better autofocus will be important to you, especially with animals.
The 70-300 is a very good lens for the price, but the IQ of the 70-200 f4g is much better and it becomes a 300 on a crop body. add a teleconverter (the 2x model 3) and you have a great 600!
You sound like someone to whom quality is important so don't give in to the "they are all good enough for 8x10 and the web". You will take pics that you want to see big!
Good luck, and have a great time!

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:43 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Also, with VR lenses, you can do an awful lot without a tripod! Again check trenchmonkeys work!

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:53 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

I am an avid landscape photographer and a backpacker and would love to give you some advice. I first bought a D40 then upgraded to a D7000 and am currently waiting for my D800 (it is supposed to get here on tuesday . As excited as I am to get the D800 I would probably not recommend it for you yet. I would suggest something cheaper and lighter like a used D7000 which you can pick up for probably under $650. That and a kit zoom and go for a couple trips. Look at the pictures decide if you want to print them and if so how big. Figure out if macro is important to you, or a long telephoto for gettting close to wildlife, or an ultra-wide is more you style. See how important a great tripod would be if you fall in love with night shots or long waterfall exposures. See if you are a pixel peeper or if light weight ends up being more important that you thought. See how important the feel of the camera is to you and which features you feel you are lacking. Even with lightweight backpacking gear and even with great fitness all of us can get tired after a long day on the trail and getting great landscape shots usually requires getting up before dawn and going to bed late and the more energy you have to get to the right location at the right time the better you will be.
So once you find out what your passion and priority's are choosing the right kit will be much easier. You will be able to unload any used gear for relatively little money lost. If you find the camera fits you okay while you are learning you can spend some money on good glass and wait for that soon to be here D900 which will really make everything else look crappy. Good luck and enjoy the journey. Brian

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:36 PM
signo
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Iīve been using a D200, always care more for good lenses than body's, I just bought a D600, small and light, specially for a long day carrying it.My advise, buy good lenses, as good as you can afford, you will notice the difference.You can rent them and see which one do you prefer and stick with it, donīt change it as soon as a new one comes up, you will learn how to use it.D800 is an amazing camera, too bulky for me, d600 is small and light for fx, 7100 if you prefer dx.
Hope it helps

Apr 05, 2013 at 05:36 PM
jtjacka

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

You sound like someone to whom quality is important so don't give in to the "they are all good enough for 8x10 and the web". You will take pics that you want to see big!

I like this a lot. You kind of nailed who I am pretty well here.

Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson

Bought this off of Amazon today. Thanks for the recommendation.

@briancphoto I check out your zenfolio and you have some really nice pictures on there. Were most of those taken with your D7000?

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:39 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

All three are excellent. I would get the D7100 and spend the extra money on good glass.

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:35 PM
InlawBiker
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Coming as somebody who lives where you do, I hike a bit but mountain bike a lot and am largely a beginner photographer. I've been using a D5100, ready to trade it for a D7100. I've been doing photography for 5 years or so. Mostly I take photos of my family and sports, but my mountain bike rides can be very long on the same hiking trails.

I started with Pentax due to the weather sealing but since my kids do sports I went to Nikon. Otherwise they're fine, compact and well made cameras.

On my MTB rides I don't even bother with the D5100, I bring a Panasonic G2 (Micro 4/3). It weighs next to nothing and it's one of the larger, older models. Some of the lenses are fantastic. As good as the D800? No way, but I'm not selling my photos. This is for fun, not business.

A D5100 or D7100 I won't carry on my bike but I'll hike with them. I would be hard-pressed to bring along a D800 on a hike. I'm fit and I can carry one but I don't really see the need. There are a heap of expensive lenses I would want first.

Just my opinion, take it for what you will.

Greg

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:38 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

I am going to change my vote to the D600. The quality of this sensor is amazing, the viewfinder superb and the weight really is about the same as the D7100. Go full frame while you have the chance and you won't regret it one bit. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and no oil here. I have both the D600 and D7000 while they compliment each other the D600 is far superior. The file size and weight of the D800 would rule it out for me.
Ray

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:56 PM
jtjacka

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

@MDoc9523 What lens do you carry around for your D600?

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:37 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Need Help deciding between D7100, D600, and D800

Finally, the D7100 which seems like a very nice camera. I am mostly worried about how well it would work with FX lenses.

fast FX glass is ALL I have, to go with my 3 FX & 3 DX DSLR's...that should be the LEAST of your worries.

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:45 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password