Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How should I light this?

photoelle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How should I light this?

I've been asked to shoot my brother-in-law's wedding. They are setting up a "hoopa" where the bride & groom, plus 2 ministers will perform the ceremony. The attached photo shows the unit set up in their small church, where the wedding will be held.

The equipment I will be using:
Canon 5DM3, 2 - 600 EX RT flashes, ST-E3-RT transmitter. My husband will be assisting so I can move the flashes around if necessary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hoopa

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:53 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #2 · How should I light this?

That's brighter than a lot of actual 'churches' I've seen. You won't have any issues covering the event with the 5D3.

I would think that any light you put up in front around the chuppah will be pretty distracting because its a small room.

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:15 PM
derbarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · How should I light this?

This is would I would do:

1. You are surrounded by white walls/ceilings, so if you have to use flash I would just use on camera bounce flash (in my opinion there is no need to do any type of off camera flash).

2. This is not the most beautiful location in the world so I would shoot very tight and keep my aperture @ f2.8 or less.

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:19 PM
AgentM
• •
p.1 #4 · How should I light this?

^^ what he says

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:26 PM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #5 · How should I light this?

Thanks for the great replies. My main concern is the hoopa creating big shadows on the couple/ministers. I would like to open up the inside of it, somehow. I even wondered about putting a flash behind, shooting up. I'm hoping to do some pre-wedding testing, which will help.

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:37 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #6 · How should I light this?

In that case you might want to take the ambient light route. From the pic it’s hard to tell how much light you will have in there but since you have the 5D3 you should be able to get very good results at ISO 1600-6400 and f2.0-f2.8.

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:43 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · How should I light this?

WOW dude that is bright to begin with. I would shoot with available light and maybe use off camera on very low power just as a touch of fill light.

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:15 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · How should I light this?

Yeah, I don't think you'd need to add any light when shooting this.

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:31 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · How should I light this?

If I really wanted to make nice pics in that location and didn't care too much about spoiling the "look" of the setting, I would put two speed lights, one on each side next to the potted plants, up against the corners and aimed at the center of the hoopa. Put grids on the lights to contain the light and fire away at a very low power. This will get some nice light on the B&G faces from two angles. You would end up with pics similar to this:

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #10 · How should I light this?

If you use flash, given the ambient seems to be tungsten (I assume the outside door will be closed during the ceremony), consider gelling your flash(es) CTO or CTS.

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:49 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · How should I light this?

I'm just confused by the chuppah + ministers thing.

Apr 05, 2013 at 12:45 AM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #12 · How should I light this?

jprezant wrote:
I'm just confused by the chuppah + ministers thing.

I know *sigh* its what the bride wants, lol.

Apr 05, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #13 · How should I light this?

Hmm, that room is really.........nice. :/

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:09 AM
eburge

p.1 #14 · How should I light this?

I would put the speedlights on stands a couple of feet in front of the stage and against opposite walls.

Then I would use a “black foamy thing” (Neil Van Niekerk) to block the light from the audience.

Bounce the light off the ceiling (the walls appear to be pink on my monitor) where the bride and groom will be standing.

I would set everything up for manual shooting and use a 28-70 and a 70-200 2.8 and shoot away.

If you plan on shooting several shots over the ministers shoulders, you may want to put one of the light setups near/behind one of the plants on the same side as the light left next to the wall.

E

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #15 · How should I light this?

Somebody call Caterpillar .... have them perform a demo on how there bulldozer works.

Hope for a rainy-dark day.... then control your lighting.

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:04 PM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #16 · How should I light this?

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. Bounce flash gave me good results, and for the large group shots I added the second speedlite with a Pocket Box on it.

I really appreciate the help!

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:38 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · How should I light this?

All this time I thought you were asking how to light it for the ceremony.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:14 AM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #18 · How should I light this?

I used bounce flash for the ceremony. The second minister did not go inside the hoopa as expected. There was a small spot light directly above the hoopa, which was helpful.

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:36 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password