Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

hvu2012

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

Hi,
I was wondering what's your method or strategy to organize files and folders? And how do you name your files by date/time, place, or just default file name by the camera?

I have files and folders scattering all over. I now start using Lightroom and i want to organize it in efficient way to import into Ligtroom.
Most of us have different cameras and different brands. I myself have many files taken from different camera such as Canon 10D, Canon G9, G10, 5D II, Panasonic Lumix LX5...etc...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

I rename files on import, starting with the date, then sequence number for the day, then camera original file number. Allow Lightroom to put them in folders by date.
LR can find images based on camera used, lens, any other metadata, or keywords that you add yourself. There is no need, IMO, to make folders based on camera used or other parameters. You may want to make folders for derivative/edited jpegs, psd, tifs or whatever that are exported for specific events such as weddings.

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:01 PM
hvu2012

p.1 #3 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

Thanks, great idea.

So i guess you will name the folder (which holds all the files for that day) by date as well.
I recently start using folder name like <date>_<event>, but i still keep file names as original.

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:39 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

I suggest you read the book "The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers" by Peter Krogh. The book has several suggestions for file-naming formats. You can also check out the DPBestWorkflow website also run by Krogh but its doesn't have as much details as the book.

Personally, my folders are named in the format MM-DD and my file names are JAN-YYYYMMDD-####; my initials, the date taken in ISO format, and a four-digit sequence number that resets to 0001 each day. Since a date can only occur once, every file name is unique and there's no chance of duplicated names. I use Downloader Pro to transfer and rename my files, and automatically place them in the correct folders. Then I use the ADD function in Lightroom's Import Panel to link them to Lightroom. The download function in Lightroom isn't as robust as other dedicated file transfer applications.

Its quite simple to use the EXIF Metadata search function in Lightroom (or any other image management software) to find camera brands and models so it doesn't make much sense to put that information in the file name.

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:11 PM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #5 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

I organize my photos in folders named by subject, and then sub folders as needed. When transferring, the Canon software automatically creates a sub folder under those named with the date(s) the photos were taken. I will rename the files themselves by camera name, date, and image number. (Example: 1D4_20130402_4532.CR2)

So, I might have a main folder "Florida", in which I make sub folders for the places visited within Florida (Orlando, Tampa, Merritt Island, etc.) and then sub folders named for the date visited, containing the image files..

In this way, not only can I search for keywords assigned to individual images, but can quickly search by location or date.

This schema has worked well for me for years.

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:25 PM
alandb

p.1 #6 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

I use Downloader Pro from Breezebrowser. It has more options than lightroom in the naming of your files. It uses metadata from your photographs so it can automatically put your camera make and model in your file name. It costs about $30.

It's great to organize, but Lightroom doesn't care where your files are located. You can create collections to put photos from different locations into one place. This is the power of the databasing process of Lightroom.

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:50 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

alandb wrote:
I use Downloader Pro from Breezebrowser. It has more options than lightroom in the naming of your files. It uses metadata from your photographs so it can automatically put your camera make and model in your file name. It costs about $30.

It's great to organize, but Lightroom doesn't care where your files are located. You can create collections to put photos from different locations into one place. This is the power of the databasing process of Lightroom.

This is why I'm satisfied by LR's file renaming options. I use a template that I got years ago from the DAM book, and used to follow the book's recommendations for folder names as well, but now let LR name the folders by date. Keeping it simple and fast, and it's fast and easy to find things.

Of course if Breezebrowser or Photomechanic help you with your workflow, that's great.

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:29 PM
hvu2012

p.1 #8 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

Thanks all for all valuable information. I certainly need to think and plan ahead of time. I want to keep thing simple and fast.

Thanks again.

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:08 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #9 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

I copy the files (RAW only) from the camera into folders based on the project name and the shoot date.

Then I import them into LR, giving them tags and metadata as appropriate. I keep the camera generated file names, there's no reason for me to change them. I rename files when I export them for the client, giving them meaningful names that include the project name, date, and sequence number. I generally delete these export files once they have been delivered to the client, because I can regenerate them at will.

I use LR's collections, stars, and flags to help me cull and select the final shots for the client, removing the culls from the collection, but never from the hard drive. Since storage is so cheap, I never delete files unless they are black frames or pix of my feet or the like.

<Chas>

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

Folder:
<YYYY-MM-DD><EVENT>

Rename file on import:
<YYYY-MM-DD><EVENT><Original file name>

Apr 04, 2013 at 06:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

328iGuy
• • •
p.1 #11 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

Personally my workflow is:

I leave all filenames as is, I have folders created by:

<Year> --> <Month>

Specific shoots get there own folder all depending however, but the above folder layout if for 99% of my shots.

Apr 04, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #12 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

I too leave file names as they are. I have a folder per year, and then within each of the yearly folders if have event folders named "MM-DD [Category - Event Name]". I usually create the folder manually and transfer the image files in there myself, and then just use the Synchronise Folder option within LR to add the new folder and image files. Occasionally, if I need to added different events at once, I handle all of this from within the Import function in LR.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:53 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

I directly import in Lightroom into my chosen folder. I have Lightroom automatically add a subfolder with the date.

My photos are currently organized in this way. The year as the first thing is there because I create a new Lightroom catalog for my photos each year, to prevent the catalog getting way too big and cumbersome.

So, I have 2013->Category

Categories like "Family" or "USA" (which I use for US architectural photography), or "Nature" or "Macro" or "Lens and camera photos" etc. If it makes sense (such as with nature and landscape and the USA category, or Events), I will add a further sub-category, such as "Columbus" for shots in my city, etc. Then Lightroom adds the date under that folder for more granular sorting.

I don't do anything with the file names.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #14 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

Since I have scanned all my old family photos and have pictures back to 1889, I use the following folder structure to avoid a LONG list of folders at the top
decade/year/MM-DD-event

I was using the camera file name but have recently started using event-camera file number. This helps when you are posting on-line, where there may be less context to the file name.

Since the year is in the folder structure, there is no need to have the date in the file name. I only use the date in the folder name to force the event folders to be in order by date through the year. It is also imbeded inthe file and can be searched by lightroom. I also see no need to have the camera ID anywhere in the folder or file name structure since it is in the EXIF and can also be filtered by lightroom. Besides, after the image is taken, I have no great interest in what camera I used. The image is either good or not.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:29 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #15 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

My photos > (Year) > (place or activity)

That is my naming......I really only have our travel photos, or others.....so my big deal is to remember the year....or at least get close and then look in the folder......

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:54 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

My method is a bot unorthodox, but it is extensively documented here.

http://ben-egbert-photo.com/?page_id=1340

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Twisties
• •
p.1 #17 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

I set up annual folders, then month folders, then event/subject/place/shoot folders, eg. 2013>April>Lone Ranch Beach. The RAW metadata already includes the date and time. I see no reason to rename the files.

When I import to LR I have it copy the files to the folder.

So far I haven't tagged the files, but I am thinking I should.

Apr 17, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #18 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

kinda a simple guy... kinda simple way on renaming files... HSS senior yesterday was 13031+shot number. All sequenced to year. Renamed in DPP after edits. As we do less than 1,000 shoots per year this works for us... Ed K.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #19 · What's your method of organzing files and folders?

I do the Year folder with monthly more or less subfolders. I attempt to keep my subfolders to 1,000 images. I use LR as a organizing system and CS as the primary editing software. If I do multiple edits of the same image or I composite, LR never sees the "save-as" edits. It is simple to synchronize the one large folder to find the multiple edits.

I used to do yearlty, with monthly and then daily folders, but I found that unnecessary.

Of course, I use extensive keywords. I never move my raw files except to archive. Why? Backup. I have multiple auto backup and if I move I get multiple backups of my RAW files.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password