Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

derbarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

photosymbol wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8446711496_994795e8d5_b.jpg
Tarun-Tahiliani-Delhi-Bridal-Shoot-019 by Boston Wedding Photographer - SymbolPhoto, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8476/8113750178_83decc5875_b.jpg
Sayjal-Santosh-Engagement-54 by Boston Wedding Photographer - SymbolPhoto, on Flickr

I love the last two pics!!! Great work!

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:58 PM
nixland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

Another alternative ... Phottix PPL 400 ...

http://www.phottixstore.com/store/ppl-400-portable-battery-operated-400w-studio-light.html

The demo is quite interesting ... but it seems you can not control the power remotely (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu3nnm5Aihc&noredirect=1

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:37 AM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #3 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

How about Photoflex ?

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/photoflex-tritonflash-battery-powered-flash-test-16008

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:38 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.2 #4 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

nixland wrote:
Another alternative ... Phottix PPL 400 ...

http://www.phottixstore.com/store/ppl-400-portable-battery-operated-400w-studio-light.html

The demo is quite interesting ... but it seems you can not control the power remotely (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu3nnm5Aihc&noredirect=1

I think we have a winner!!! This thing looks perfect and it appears to be less than 0.5 lb heavier than the qudra head... and the price is reight!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:30 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.2 #5 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

derbarrett wrote:
I think we have a winner!!! This thing looks perfect and it appears to be less than 0.5 lb heavier than the qudra head... and the price is reight!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

This looks like the same thing except it has a wireless receiver built in. Check out the video at the bottom... it's very impressive! My only fear its that it may not acutally be 400WS and have enough power since a GN of 56 is listed in the item description

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-4-0-400w-Wireless-Controlle-Portable-Studio-Mobile-Flash-Strobe-Light-Kit-bh28-/271190190823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2431eae7

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.2 #6 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

Definitely cheaper but not a true "alternative" to the Quadra. What are you going to do for light modifiers, service, color accuracy, etc. of you want to go down the monolight and battery road I'd look at the Bowens or Calumet offering. At least you get quality and a large modifier selection.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:21 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.2 #7 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Definitely cheaper but not a true "alternative" to the Quadra. What are you going to do for light modifiers, service, color accuracy, etc. of you want to go down the monolight and battery road I'd look at the Bowens or Calumet offering. At least you get quality and a large modifier selection.

Gregg thanks for your input!!! A couple of followup comments:

1. There is an optional bowens adapter that you can purchase for $20-30 that allows you to use any modifier with a bowens mount.

2. You are absolutely correct about service. The ranger wins by a long shot in this respect. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope I get 2-3 yrs of use out of it.

3. As I mentioned earlier this would mainly just be used to get some dramatic portraits during weddings and e-sessions so I'm not that concerned with small shifts in color temp.

4. This strobe unit also supports HSS sync which I believe the ranger quadra does not.

5. Finally… I actually tracked down a guy who owns this unit and the ranger qudra…… here are a couple of his comments:

“I am able to measure f/51 at 1m distance with a standard 7 inch reflector on the strobe set to full power. This compares favorably to my quadra ranger which has a similar output. I have no issues using this to overpower the sun outside. I would say that the AK4.0 performs better than the quadra with modifiers on them. With the regular reflector, the quadra maybe has half of a stop better output. Overall they are comparable and in my opinion the quadra is not worth the extra money. As for weight, the AK4.0 is similar to the quadra (overall); however the quadra pack is heavier than the AK battery, whereas the ak head is heavier than on the quadra. The ak shines though with bigger modifiers! The bowens mount just makes adding stuff so much easier. I had a 7 foot octa on this thing without issues.”

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:36 PM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #8 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

derbarrett wrote:

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Glad to help.
But I agree with Gregg, please find the review of this product as many as possible to make sure its performance & reliability before you buy it

And dont forget to share with us if you already have & use it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.2 #9 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

I can appreciate saving a few bucks here and there when you don't need something full time. My point with the Quadra or any high quality strobe for that matter is reliability and ease of use. I think you are getting caught up in numbers too much. You want to look at the whole package. Also I will cut corners on hardware for personal use but not when I get paid for using it, especially weddings where you only have one shot at it. Good luck.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:51 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

It seems to me that derbarrett is making a good decision. After all it has been stated numerous times what the use is for. On top of all that this will initially be an extra light for some creative work. Since that's the case derbarrett doesn't loose anything if the light isn't 100% up to par (paid gig or not). Even if it's only half of what he wants he wins (based on the information thus far).

Living/purchasing off of reputation alone is a good idea but it also removes opportunities to find out what-else is out there. Again, this is a pretty good plan because it's extra light.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:20 PM
simplelogik

p.2 #11 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

Hi,

Funny, I too shoot weddings and was looking for something similar to the Einstein & VML solution but the closest equivalent I've found so far are the Profoto D1 500 Air and Elinchrom 600RX which in the end is not really a replacement to the Einstein & VML. I tested the Quadra and found that the 400w is just not quite enough, it’s OK for shooting the couple but not enough to cover for group shots in the sun. Also, it’s not practical to shoot at full power because of the refresh rate, so I only shoot at ½ power or below most of the time in order to keep the refresh rate high enough for multiple burst, which means using 200w for the Quadra instead of 320ws on the Einstein.

You could also consider the Manfrotto Nano (1kg) or other Chinese equivalent lightstand and a double fold white translucent umbrella to save on weight. This is pretty much my destination wedding lighting kit.

PS: I took that first photo you posted in Vegas salt lake on a cloudless day, that was with the Einstein with the above kit at ½ power. That kit traveled 14,000km from Perth to Vegas, so it’s quite portable.

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:56 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.2 #12 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

simplelogik wrote:
Hi,

Funny, I too shoot weddings and was looking for something similar to the Einstein & VML solution but the closest equivalent I've found so far are the Profoto D1 500 Air and Elinchrom 600RX which in the end is not really a replacement to the Einstein & VML. I tested the Quadra and found that the 400w is just not quite enough, it’s OK for shooting the couple but not enough to cover for group shots in the sun. Also, it’s not practical to shoot at full power because of the refresh rate, so I only shoot at ½
...Show more

Thanks for the advice.... by the way I absolutely love that photoshoot.... amazing magazine quality work!!

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:42 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.2 #13 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

Just an update: I lucked up I snagged a killer deal on a LN Ranger Quadra RX kit ($825). It just arrived today and everything appears to be in perfect order.....can't wait to try it out.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.2 #14 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

derbarrett wrote:
Just an update: I lucked up I snagged a killer deal on a LN Ranger Quadra RX kit ($825). It just arrived today and everything appears to be in perfect order.....can't wait to try it out.

Ok for those who are intrested I was able to do some quick comparison test this evening. I couldn't really find anything when I was trying to compare the power output of hot shoe flashes vs moonlights so hopefully this will be useful to someone.

Parameters : Distance = 14ft, ISO 100, Shutter 1/200, 24x24 softbox (double baffled).

1. (1) YN 560ii zoomed in @105 (full power) = f2.8
2. (2) YN 560ii zoomed in @105 (full power) = f4.0
3. (1) Einstein E640 @ 400ws (technically 394ws) = f7.1
4. (1) Ranger Quadra @ 400ws (full power) = f7.1
5. (1) Einstein E640 @ 640ws (füll power) = f9.0

May 01, 2013 at 01:11 AM
simplelogik

p.2 #15 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

That's an amazing price !! Where did you get that Quadra kit ?

1) Should this be @24mm ??

Interesting, I found that at 24mm the 580 EXII is only 2 stops less than the Einstein. Your test suggests more than 3 stops.

Have you been looking at the Godox AD360 ? I'm waiting for this strobe to be on the market this month.

May 04, 2013 at 07:35 AM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #16 · Less Expensive Ranger Qudra Alternative?

derbarrett wrote:
Ok for those who are intrested I was able to do some quick comparison test this evening. I couldn't really find anything when I was trying to compare the power output of hot shoe flashes vs moonlights so hopefully this will be useful to someone.

Parameters : Distance = 14ft, ISO 100, Shutter 1/200, 24x24 softbox (double baffled).

1. (1) YN 560ii zoomed in @105 (full power) = f2.8
2. (2) YN 560ii zoomed in @105 (full power) = f4.0
3. (1) Einstein E640 @ 400ws (technically 394ws) = f7.1
4. (1) Ranger Quadra @ 400ws (full power) = f7.1
5. (1) Einstein E640 @ 640ws
...Show more

Wow. Thanks a lot for sharing.
I was searching for this comparison GN and still cant found it ... glad you did it

May 06, 2013 at 02:16 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password