Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates
Adobe Lightroom 4.4 and Camera Raw 7.4 final release versions are now available for download.

They fix many bugs, and include new lens profiles for newly released lenses like the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and Canon 24-70mm f/4L IS.

Demosaic algorithms for Fujifilm cameras with the X-Trans sensor have also been corrected.
Here is list of new features, camera support, profile support and bug fixes for both Lightroom 4.4 and Camera RAW 7.4 Release Candidates:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4:
  • Improved demosaic algorithm for better raw file support on cameras with X-Trans sensors. This includes the Fujifilm X-Pro1.
  • Additional camera support for 23 cameras including the Canon EOS 1D C, Nikon Coolpix A, and Samsung NX300.
  • Corrections and bug fixes for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.
Download the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 Update: Win | Mac

DNG Converter 7.4:
This version of the DNG Converter supports over 20 new cameras including the Canon EOS 1D C, Nikon Coolpix A, and Samsung NX300. Visit the Camera Raw page for a complete list of supported cameras.

Download the Adobe DNG Converter 7.4 Update: Win | Mac

Adobe Lightroom 4 is available at B&H Photo

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

Is it any faster than the previous version?

Apr 03, 2013 at 09:32 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

Tom K. wrote:
Is it any faster than the previous version?

U may need a faster computer.

Mine seems to be fast enough

Apr 03, 2013 at 09:36 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

skasol wrote:
U may need a faster computer.

Mine seems to be fast enough

My PC is massively powerful. I'm not joking.

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:08 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

Tom K. wrote:
My PC is massively powerful. I'm not joking.

That's odd. I have a MacBook Pro and it handles Lightroom and a few other things open like a champ.

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:09 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #6 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

skasol wrote:
That's odd. I have a MacBook Pro and it handles Lightroom and a few other things open like a champ.

Methinks discrepant ideas of what is fast. Lr is not fast, by any stretch of the imagination.

Brian A

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MadManAce

p.1 #7 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

Speed is a relative term, what some consider slow, other consider perfectly acceptable. LR4.xx handles D700 files much slower than Capture One 6 handles D800 files. This was not always the case, LR3.xx handled D700 files with ease. With LR3 switching from gallery to develop panels was instant. If LR3 handled D800 files, I would still be using it. Using the DNG converter is not an acceptable alternative because it adds extra unnecessary steps to workflow and I use custom DNG profiles.

My Microsoft Windows Experience Index is 7.6 out of 7.9.
i7 @3.7GHz
24GB DDR3-1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Samsung SSD

I am running a very powerful PC and except for LR4, everything I run on it flies. Somehow, someway, Adobe wrote slow buggy software that apparently runs slow on some PCs regardless of the hardware specs. I have cleared cache, removed unused modules, made catalogs for each year, store full size previews for 30 days, etc., and it is still slow. I think this is why every update Adobe does, the question on whether it is faster comes up.

Apr 04, 2013 at 06:56 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

LR seemed to load and brush tool function faster, but then maybe my wishful thinking. Run-of-the-mill PC, AMD64, quad-core, 8GB, average video card.

Bob

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:55 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

MadManAce wrote:
I am running a very powerful PC and except for LR4, everything I run on it flies. Somehow, someway, Adobe wrote slow buggy software that apparently runs slow on some PCs regardless of the hardware specs. I have cleared cache, removed unused modules, made catalogs for each year, store full size previews for 30 days, etc., and it is still slow. I think this is why every update Adobe does, the question on whether it is faster comes up.

Yep!

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #10 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

DXO is the only app I have found that has a decent batch speed. I dumped LR long ago. I do try each new version but still find it slower than other apps.

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:38 PM
MadManAce

p.1 #11 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

I was hesitant to upgrade until I read more user feedback. When I upgraded to 4.3, it was so slow, I rolled it back to 4.2. I am happy to report that it is much faster than 4.2 or 4.3. I am now set and will not do any further upgrades.

Apr 07, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Adobe Lightroom 4.4 & DNG Converter 7.4 Updates

Lr bogs down if you have implemented luminance noise reduction and other processor-intensive settings on your photos. Leave those things as late as possible in your workflow and it will work appreciably faster. For this reason I abandoned my camera-specific presets that applied set amounts of NR automatically when loading images.

Be aware that in the develop module it will always process the image every single time you open it even if that was just a few seconds ago, and it can take several seconds to do so. Set your computer to show cpu activity while you play with Lr and you'll see what is going on. In the Library module you are not usually presented with an up to data image preview but so long as it is in cache and so long as the cache is on a speedy drive (SSDs are great) it will work pretty fast until you start making those significant changes to NR and so on that bog it down again.

I can't say whether or not Lr 4.4 is faster because when I run different groups of images it always responds differently. One day I might set aside a particular group of images in a dedicated test folder for evaluating Lr performance.

- Alan

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:08 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password