Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Moving to canon

pmac1985
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Moving to canon

Okay.. Ive been a Nikon user for around 5 years and have got quite a lot invested so I'm not 100% sure I'm switching yet, but I've had a month of trying to get issues sorted regarding my d800 which had AF issues and Nikon have p*ssed me off slightly with there repair failure. The shop has offered me a replacement d800 or credit but not sure which to take.

Currently I have
d800
Nikon 24-70
Nikon 70-200vr2
Nikon 85 1.4g
Nikon 50 1.8g
Nikon Sb600
I rarely use the flash or 70-200 so won't be in a rush to buy these.

What I'm thinking is

5dmk3
Canon 24-70 mk1
Sigma 35 1.4
Sigma 85 1.4
Canon 135 f2

This should be do able if I get the right sales and buy used equipment.. Any advise.
I really only shoot portrait's and street .but do the occasional landscape and sport shots.

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Moving to canon

"slightly"?

Welcome to the lighter side of life. We sometimes even make photographs over here.

5D Mark III is an excellent camera. Nothing wrong with your proposed set of lenses, though personally I would avoid Sigma. If I could swing it I would go straight to the 24-70 Mark II which is fast earning a reputation for very high image quality, a lens to fall in love with. I'd love to get one myself. Probably my next big ticket item (dunno when though).

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:12 PM
R3medy

p.1 #3 · Moving to canon

I'm not sure.... switching systems just because You got a malfunctioning camera seems a bit hasty to me. If the shop offers You another copy just take it and try it. I would not switch if I were You.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:13 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #4 · Moving to canon

The 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is being regarded by some as being of prime quality and a lot of people use it for portraits very often. I would suggest getting it especially if you do sports.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:17 PM
pmac1985
• •
p.1 #5 · Moving to canon

I get where your coming from r3medy.. The issue is with there failure to fix it and returning it even worse than it went in..plus the increasing no. Off cases there seem to be of failures and failed repairs.

Monito I've actual never used a sigma but these two seem to get glowing reports, I'm mainly a prime shooter and the 24-70 is used mainly on holidays or light days out. I don't think I could afford the mk2.

My 85 and 50 are used the most but had been eyeing up the sigma 35 before these issues.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:19 PM
R3medy

p.1 #6 · Moving to canon

People why do You even encourage him to make the switch? Replacing the camera is all he needs. His cam is not working properly, period. What if he gets 5D MkIII with some bug? What then? Switch to Sony? Come on.

pmac1985 I know the pain with authorized services that cannot repair obviously faulty gear (like serious back focus on my 50mm f1.4). Try to replace the cam in store. And don't listen anyone who says Sigmas are not worth a penny. Those lenses are often waaaaaay better then "originals". Sigma's: 30mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 and also all macros are fantastic. And also if You do make a switch I would not buy 24-70 mkII, Photozone and many others prove it's not the 8th wonder of the world and it's twice the price of it's predecessor.

Edited on Apr 03, 2013 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:20 PM
pmac1985
• •
p.1 #7 · Moving to canon

I tend not to use my 70-200 bar when I do Airsoft events , due to the weight and size.

In two years I thnk I've used it maby 5 times normaly, even thou my Nikon version is also very sharp.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:20 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #8 · Moving to canon

I think Nikon has a new FW out for d800. Supposed to improve focus. Have you tried that?

I know there seems to be alot of unhappy Nikon owners of late. there was one wedding photog that has 4 D800 and all of them had issues. Sent in multiple times with no avail.
Since you only have one.... maybe just give Nikon another chance to fix it?

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Moving to canon

I like the 24-70L original, but currently I'm more in favor of a newer vintage 24-105L IS.

The Sigma 35/1.4 gets glowing reports from 75% of owners. 25% have had problems or returned the lens.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket lenses, but if you really want one, I'd say the Sigma 35 is the one to get.

The Sigma 85, not so much.

A lens I would recommend, that's not on your list, and is an outstanding reason to come to Canon for street and portraiture -- the 50/1.2L. This lens and the 100L macro or 135/2L would be great for that sort of shooting. I'd recommend the 85/1.2L instead of the Sigma, but that's a huge piece of change and a monster lens.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:30 PM
pmac1985
• •
p.1 #10 · Moving to canon

M lucca there's no need to get it repaired I've been offered a full replacement but want to consider my options. the FW wouldn't help with the issue I had after repair, it went in with left side AF and came back with all AF points needing more MA than the camera was possible for due to bk focusing.

I would love the 50 and 85 1.2's but think that's out my price point just now

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Moving to canon

I shoot with both systems. I sold one of my D800 and picked up the 5Dmk III. I have to say the MK III is a wonderful piece of equipment to shoot. It is responsive and the focus tracking and accuracy of one shot is superb. My D800 gets very little use except in studio and landscapes ironically I will shoot the 2 side by side in these situations and keep the best of the bunch. Both cameras are top notch but the canon is more fun to shoot and is more usable for daily use.

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:13 PM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #12 · Moving to canon

If you're offered a replacement D800, why don't you take them up on that offer? If the service was really horrible (it took a long time, or they jerked you around), they perhaps its warranted to switch. But if they simply botched the repair, then they are doing good by offering you a replacement.

Other than that though, I do have to say the 5DMIII is an awesome camera.

The only qualms I have about switching is that I've noticed that Sigma lenses don't get along with Canon as well as they do with Nikon, in terms of AF. I'd definitely get the body first, then rent the Sigma lenses to make sure the models perform ok before committing to the purchase. The Canon 35L is a pretty sweet lens, even if it's not as 'hip' as the new Sigma 35.

That said, I've been beyond happy with the D800/Sigma 35 combo.

Secondly, have you considered the Tamron 24-70 VC USD over the MK1 24-70?

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:33 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Moving to canon

I shoot both systems, too. I would have seconded what was said about not swapping systems for a bad camera a couple of years ago, but the problem with service is significant and a very real consideration. I know a number of pros have switched systems because of it.

I can't praise the 135 f/2 enough. There's no real equivalent on the Nikon side and I think you'll enjoy it. It's often a reason I walk out with a Canon camera instead of Nikon.

I shoot the Sigma 35 f/1.4 - superb lens and very well built. I know a couple of people have had to exchange for focus issues, but most are thrilled with it. The 85 f/1.4 I can't speak to first-hand.

The Canon 24-70 f/2.8 Mk I can be a really good lens, but I'd recommend buying from a place or person where exchange is possible. Older copies tend to have broken helicoid collars which makes them very soft at 70mm. A good copy, though, is a really good lens.

The Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC is an alternative worth considering. One amazing thing about Tamron is their factory service - if you send a lens in they guarantee to turn it around in 3 days or they'll offer you a refurb in place of the lens you sent in.

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:34 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #14 · Moving to canon

pmac1985 wrote:
M lucca there's no need to get it repaired I've been offered a full replacement but want to consider my options. the FW wouldn't help with the issue I had after repair, it went in with left side AF and came back with all AF points needing more MA than the camera was possible for due to bk focusing.

I would love the 50 and 85 1.2's but think that's out my price point just now

There is no guarantee that the new D800 will work. I own both D800 and 5DIII. Unless you have a strong backup camera take your money and run. For over two months I am still pushing for my money back. With the new firmware just released they asked me to install and see but at this point I am so feed up with Nikon.

Nikon support is crap. I think they have a boat load of people that are unhappy with D800. They are struggling keeping up.

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:42 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #15 · Moving to canon

R3medy wrote:
I'm not sure.... switching systems just because You got a malfunctioning camera seems a bit hasty to me. If the shop offers You another copy just take it and try it. I would not switch if I were You.

+1

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:46 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Moving to canon

Who wants to take bets on the number of years before the OP switches back when the OP is unlucky enough to get bad Canon service? Shall we remember the 1d3?

I say: If you're otherwise happy with the Nikon system except for a botched repair... don't switch.

You're only going to be trading one set of quirks, potential botched repairs, and frustrations for a different set.

But hey, it's your money, time, frustration. Do what makes you satisfied.

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:56 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Moving to canon

5D3 - great camera as long as you don't do a lot of shadow lifting from deep blacks.

135/2 - awesome lens.

24-70 mk1 - You might be disappointed in this vs the Nikon 24-70 - rarely do I hear of a "badass" mk 1, whereas Nikon seems to have gotten their 24-70 right from the get-go (of course it's newer, so...)

Sigma 35-85 - Seem to be great if you get a well-behaving copy -- for these reasons though I myself would buy new, even though I'm a used gear fan.

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:08 PM
R3medy

p.1 #18 · Moving to canon

Gunzorro wrote:
I like the 24-70L original, but currently I'm more in favor of a newer vintage 24-105L IS.

The Sigma 35/1.4 gets glowing reports from 75% of owners. 25% have had problems or returned the lens.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket lenses, but if you really want one, I'd say the Sigma 35 is the one to get.

The Sigma 85, not so much.

A lens I would recommend, that's not on your list, and is an outstanding reason to come to Canon for street and portraiture -- the 50/1.2L. This lens and the 100L macro or 135/2L would be great for that sort
...Show more
Sigma 85 not so much? It's a really great lens, I see no logical reason not to recommend it. Canon's 50 f1.2 L on the other hand is a very, very bad joke for the price. Wide open it's barely usable with catastrophic vignetting and sharpness (wide open) comparable with soviet manual zooms from the 60s, until you stop it down to f2 it's pretty much a disaster. Add to this slowish AF, then look at the price and try to stop yourself from laughing. Canon's 85 f1.2 is optically great, no questions about it. Same goes with 100L macro and 135 f2. The thing is, Nikkor 135 f2 is also great and 100mm macro is equally awesome.

Once again, try to replace the camera. There is way too many urban legends floating around regarding D800 AF issue. The problem lays in misalignment of the AF module, no firmware update is gonna fix that. It has to be done manually by a professional who knows what to do, then it needs to be recalibrated. One of my friends bought a faulty D800 (the famous AF isse when one side of the pic was sharper), he sent it to service in Germany despite the fact he lives in France. They fixed it. 3 other mates that bought D800's had no issues whatsoever. Just to be clear, all of them bought their D800 right after it was available. I haven't heard of anyone who bought a new D800 from a new batch that would have any sort of AF issues.

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:11 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Moving to canon

R3medy wrote:
Sigma 85 not so much? It's a really great lens, I see no logical reason not to recommend it. Canon's 50 f1.2 L on the other hand is a very, very bad joke for the price. Wide open it's barely usable with catastrophic vignetting and sharpness (wide open) comparable with soviet manual zooms from the 60s, until you stop it down to f2 it's pretty much a disaster. Add to this slowish AF, then look at the price and try to stop yourself from laughing. Canon's 85 f1.2 is optically great, no questions about it. Same goes with 100L macro
...Show more

Sorry, I don't mean to argue, but the 50L is one of my favorite lenses. I don't have any of the slow focusing you mention, at least not on 60D, 5D2, 1D3 or 1Ds3. I love the wide open effect -- very magical and dreamy looking. No, it doesn't look like the Leica R 60 macro or the 100L macro, but it's not intended to be with its vignetting and SA. I think I'd rather keep the 50L over those two if I were pressed. I find it super-super-sharp at f/2.5 and on through f/6.7. It's not cheap, but at $1200 used, it's not breaking the bank either. As I learn more about this buyer's needs, it won't be a candidate anyway. I just don't want people thinking the 50L is a dog.

I'm not impressed with reports of mechanical and focus irregularities of Sigma lenses on Canon bodies. They might work, but I can't send them in to Canon CPS or even use their images for CPS diagnostics if I have a problem. I've pretty well off-loaded all my Alt and aftermarket lenses that would mount on Canon EOS bodies and am enjoying the Canon imaging with no problems.

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:36 PM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #20 · Moving to canon

I should mention that Roger is probably the best barometer of service quality, although for me personally, I've never had a problem with Nikon.

4 repair service sent in, 4x the equipment was returned fixed. It's by no means fast (~7-10 days). But I have backup equipment, so I'm not fretting over the time. They were also responsive to my inquiries.

Maybe I set my standards too low. I compare this to the awful service quality I get from Samsung and Kenmore (read: 2/3 month repair time for electronics/appliances ----- try living 3 months without a washer), and Nikon just seems effortless to me.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:10 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password