Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Baseball - color casts

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Baseball - color casts

I had pretty good WB when shooting the batters (see #1). However, not so much for the infielders (see the dude's red face in #2). Maybe the problem was using Auto WB? Maybe I need to actually "work" and swap WB depending on what I'm shooting?

Do y'all experience this?

Nevertheless, gotta love this red Jaw-ja clay.

Marty, you out there? Do you experience this when shooting dirt track in the noonday sun?

BTW, don't know why EXIF is displaying 950mm. I was shooting with a 400/2.8 and TC17.

Edited on Apr 06, 2013 at 11:23 AM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Baseball - color casts

I have had color cast issues many times shooting outdoor soccer with my D3s, D3x, and D800. Interestingly this has not been the case with my Canon gear. I have yet to understand why the Nikon gear shows this reflective cast for the grass more than the Canon gear. Your example is similar to what i have seen it is reflecting the color of the dirt and causing this color cast.

Edited on Apr 07, 2013 at 03:00 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Baseball - color casts

Hey Dennis. I think it's more of an exposure issue than a white balance thing. The sun is more or less in front of the batter and behind the fielder. I monkeyed with the WB and zapped it with auto color (which is highly underrated) just to be sure and neither fixed it. What did work was setting the dodge tool to 50%, setting the area to slightly larger than the head and giving it a double tap.

Try that and see what you think.

As far as switching WB on the fly, like catching the batter grounding to the short stop, some shooters have the Jedi Ninja skills to do that. I ain't one of 'em.

Good luck,
Marty

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Tom D
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Baseball - color casts

Dennis, with that sun directly overhead in #2, you can pretty much count on the infield dirt color reflecting upwards on pretty much anything that's above it. Look at the the player's neck and jaw, the bottom of the bill of his hat, the bottom of his right arm and hand, the folds of his pants just beneath the arm. Even the glove has the orange glow. To me, it looks natural, simply because that's what it looks like, live and in person. If you look close, you can also see a hint of it in the first shot- look on the shadow area of the pants.

In most cases, stick with Average White Band (AWB), it works. Or shoot RAW and fiddle with every shot...

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:50 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Baseball - color casts

Thanks for the input, guys! Next game at high noon, I may try to play around with WB, but I'm probably better off leaving well-enough alone.

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:03 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password