FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

moonyguy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

I spent a day at Hakalau Wildlife Refuge on the Big Island this past Saturday. The place is the last remaining refuge for several endangered Hawaiian endemic birds. Here are a few from the trip. The rain picked up after noon so it was hard to shoot in low light. It was my first time using a flash (430 EX) and so missed a few shots as the flash was recycling. Also messed up on the IS settings since I was shooting from a tripod for a change instead of hand held. Still learning! Comments welcome.

mahalo
Vishnu

ʻIʻiwi (endemic honey creeper)

ʻIʻiwi feeding on ohia flowers

ʻApapane (endemic honey creeper)

ʻŌmaʻo (endemic Hawaii Thursh)

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:33 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Excellent, the first one is my pick.

-Tim

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:04 AM
moonyguy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

tfoltz wrote:
Excellent, the first one is my pick.

-Tim

Thank you Tim

Vishnu

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:06 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Nice looking birds Vishnu. I like 3 best.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:10 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Those hoeny creepers are amazing as are the photos, Vishnu!

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:30 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Very nice Vishnu. It's 1 for me too ~ Ron

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:34 AM
moonyguy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Thanks a lot for the kind words everyone. Wondering if there is a good tutorial on flash use or would like to know if flash use is common in bird photography.

Vishnu

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:30 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Super shots Vishnu, well done
David

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:52 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

very nice Vishnu

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:31 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Can I say jealous!! Wow, these are awesome. It must've been a thrill to see this bird. 2 is my pick.

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:00 PM
moonyguy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

ashley138 wrote:
Can I say jealous!! Wow, these are awesome. It must've been a thrill to see this bird. 2 is my pick.

Thanks a lot Ashley. I heard recent reports of I'iwi on Oahu. I haven't been there myself but if you are on big island anytime you can visit Hakalau. Simply amazing experience.

Vishnu

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:03 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

moonyguy wrote:
Thanks a lot for the kind words everyone. Wondering if there is a good tutorial on flash use or would like to know if flash use is common in bird photography.

Vishnu

Morris uses flash all the time for birds. I use flash occasionally, but should use it more. Here are some links to using a Better Beamer. You can do the same without the BB, but you have to be closer.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/better_beamer.shtml

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/03/02/better-beamer-basics/

http://www.naturephotographers.net/tdg0502-1.html

Ron

Apr 03, 2013 at 10:04 PM
moonyguy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Thanks a lot Ron. I have a 430 EXII and BB but the flash was not cycling fast enough and the reach was pretty limited. I am trying to get a 580 EXII here on B&S and a BB. Also got a Canon battery pack as I was told it cycles the flash faster.

Vishnu

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

The I'iwi, Apapane and Amakihi, (little green guy*), can be found on Maui but seem to be at higher levels. Hosmer Grove campground is a pretty accessible place to find them. It is in Haleakala National Park. There is a walking trail through the grove and they can be there especially when the O'hio trees are in blossom. Walking in the area is restricted to the established trails and the park Rangers patrol the area. Leaving the trails is prohibited to preserve the grasses and foliage. You will do best with something like 400mm or better reach although you can get close if the bushes with the yellow bell like blooms are in season as they feed from the blossoms.
The Park Rangers guide walking tours in the area a couple of times a week although not completely dedicated to birds, you can phone them or details may be on their site. I have had some success but my reach is a bit marginal.

* There is a small green bird that can be mistaken for the Amakihi that is pretty widespread called the Japanese White-Eye. It is not popular with the Park Rangers as it is an introduced bird that is elbowing its way into the Hawaiian habitat. Small green but with a white ring around the eyes.

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:43 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

moonyguy wrote:
Thanks a lot Ron. I have a 430 EXII and BB but the flash was not cycling fast enough and the reach was pretty limited. I am trying to get a 580 EXII here on B&S and a BB. Also got a Canon battery pack as I was told it cycles the flash faster.

Vishnu

It does cycle much faster using a battery pack - fast enough to melt the plastic lens if you are not careful. So make sure you don't overheat the lens ~ Ron

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:10 AM
moonyguy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

surfnron wrote:
It does cycle much faster using a battery pack - fast enough to melt the plastic lens if you are not careful. So make sure you don't overheat the lens ~ Ron

Don't want that to happen! Hope the rain in Hawaii will keep it cool.

Vishnu

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Very exciting bird(s) ! Lovely photos too, I enjoyed them all but #2 would be my favourite. Always great to find/see rare endemics.

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:37 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hawaii Honey Creepers from Big Island

Great birds. I think your focus point is a bit off the eye. You did well with the flash. I always use fresh batteries to keep recycling time to a minimum. Don

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:35 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.