Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 1.4xTCII ?

wayne194
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1.4xTCII ?

I have a canon 5DIII and a 70-200 2.8 IS II and a 400 5.6 lens. I am using a 1.4xTCII . Will I see any benefit upgrading to version 3?

Wayne

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:24 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1.4xTCII ?

Simple answer...yes...you will see a difference! Corners will be a bit sharper, even with my older lenses; a 70-200 f4L IS and 300 f4L IS, when pixel peeping or printing larger then A3 there is a slight improvement. I've both the II and III; got a refurb from Canon, if you are thinking of getting any of the new Mark II telephotos don't hesitate getting the III. Peter/PetKal and others that shoot the big whites do see improvement in IQ and AF tracking with the III.

If you don't print larger then A3 and mostly just view your images via screen/web, I'm not sure the extra buckaroos are needed spent. I shoot both film and crop digital, with my EOS-3's and Fuji Velvia 50 high-res scans the corners are better, as for FF digital I'd expect the same...

Your 5D3 and 70-200 II are the best Canon gives us, maybe rent the III before you buy, I'm guessing LensRentals might have one you could test!

Jerry

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:14 PM
wayne194
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1.4xTCII ?

Thanks Jerry,
That's what I thought but wasn't sure.

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:47 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1.4xTCII ?

I have both the II & the III. I don't see a huge difference, although I haven't done a "scientific" comparison. If you are going to use one a lot, I'd say the upgrade is worthwhile. For the occasional extra reach the old one is good.

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1.4xTCII ?

I use the 1.4x tc with both lenses you mention and to be honest, I have a hard time telling the difference in quality between it and the bare lens when mounted to the 70-200 II. I imagine the difference between the ii and the iii are even smaller.

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:59 AM
Cadaver
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1.4xTCII ?

I've read that there is a bigger increase in quality between the 2X versions II & III, than the 1.4X versions II & III.

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1.4xTCII ?

Cadaver wrote:
I've read that there is a bigger increase in quality between the 2X versions II & III, than the 1.4X versions II & III.

CPS sent me III's to test and I found the 2xIII was an improvement, 1.4xIII not much.
Tested on the 1DsIII and 200L IS.

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:46 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1.4xTCII ?

If you are shooting wildlife you probably don't need to spend the bux. For the most part, you want the subject in focus, and the rest out of focus anyway, and so edge sharpness doesn't come into play. I have the II and the III. I wish I had bought the 2X III instead of the 1.4 III as there is very little difference to my eye. I took some wildlife shots with the II earlier this week to have some shots for when I post the II on B&S. You can see them here, if interested ~ Ron

Apr 04, 2013 at 11:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password