Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Video Card color problem

DavidCZ
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Video Card color problem

I did a quick search and did not find similar topic.

We all know that monitor needs to be color calibrated. But it looks like the same thing for video card. I just upgraded my computer to Dell XPS 8500 with NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 640 1GB GDDR5 video card.

When I plugged in the color calibrated Dell 27" IPS LCD to this computer, the color looked way off compared to the previous computer that I used with the monitor. The new computer shows some green tone for quite some photos.

I did not notice this when I upgraded computers before, since the change of computer/video card never had such a big difference.

Does anybody else notice this problem?

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Gary Harfield
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Video Card color problem

Each computer, along with each video card and monitor needs to be calibrated. As soon as you swap the computer, and or card it all has to be re done again.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:05 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Video Card color problem

When you calibrate a monitor you are not actually changing anything in the monitor but rather how the monitor outputs colors by using software. So when you plug that same monitor in to another computer you need to calibrate it again to that machine with the software.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:12 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Video Card color problem

Thanks Gary & Nick! It looks like I have to go back and calibrate the system again.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:15 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Video Card color problem

Very very few monitors have internal calibration.

Most calibrations are loaded into the GFX card, so especially if you ran a custom calibration, you need to do the same on the new system.

In a pinch you could pull the ICM file on the old system and try to load it on the new system, but that is almost never the right thing to do.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Video Card color problem

they actually recommend to calibrate at least once a month... my question though what if you run dual screens off same card?

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:47 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Video Card color problem

CMB Photo wrote:
they actually recommend to calibrate at least once a month... my question though what if you run dual screens off same card?

Tables are per monitor, but yea multiple configurations can complicate things. Some calibrators do not support dual monitors.

The once a month thing is IMO more for CCFL backlit monitors and less necessary if you have one of the newer LED backlit monitors. (CCFL lights change more rapidly as they age)

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:08 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Video Card color problem

CMB Photo wrote:

But does everybody really calibrate the monitor once a month?
I usually just calibrate it every half year and it works well

I run dual screens but each screen connects to a different video card (one of them is from on-board integrated video for the supporting role).

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:38 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Video Card color problem

SloPhoto wrote:
Very very few monitors have internal calibration.

Most calibrations are loaded into the GFX card, so especially if you ran a custom calibration, you need to do the same on the new system.

In a pinch you could pull the ICM file on the old system and try to load it on the new system, but that is almost never the right thing to do.

I was actually thinking about moving the original video card to the new computer. It is only a few minutes work

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:40 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Video Card color problem

DavidCZ wrote:
I was actually thinking about moving the original video card to the new computer. It is only a few minutes work

The calibration will not transfer over (if you have done a calibration via spyder or i1Display). It must be loaded every boot.

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:45 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password