Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?
  
 
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


I was wondering - if you processed a DNG and a CR2, would the DNG look any different at all (even in highlights or shadows in the "recovery zone")?

Any difference in colours, any difference in exposure, tones? etc...



Apr 02, 2013 at 10:25 AM
ciprian.trofin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


Why don't you try it yourself ? DNG converter is free, I assume you already have CS or LR.


Apr 02, 2013 at 04:44 PM
Monito
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


You can get one answer today, and then five years from now a different answer. Canon can develop algorithms to take advantage of the data they store in the CR2. They might be similar today and different in three years time.

You can create a DNG anytime, but you can't go back to the CR2 if you threw it away after making the DNG.

I'm keeping my CR2s. Disk storage is cheap and getting cheaper.



Apr 02, 2013 at 05:13 PM
ciprian.trofin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


Monito wrote:
You can create a DNG anytime, but you can't go back to the CR2 if you threw it away after making the DNG.


Not true. DNG files are capable of storing (embedding) full original RAW files and these RAW files can be later be manually extracted, if needed.



Apr 02, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Monito
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


Monito wrote:
You can create a DNG anytime, but you can't go back to the CR2 if you threw it away after making the DNG.


ciprian.trofin wrote:
Not true. DNG files are capable of storing (embedding) full original RAW files and these RAW files can be later be manually extracted, if needed.


You can do that and double your storage requirements, but there is no point because you can create the DNG anytime if there ever is any advantage to a DNG. (They are needed on occasion for some calibration and profiling.)

Just keep the CR2.



Apr 02, 2013 at 05:42 PM
scalesusa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


CR2's are a lossless compressed tiff file along with additional information. It seems unlikely that Canon will change this.

DNG files are also based on the Tiff format with additional information. This means that they are going to be very close to the cr2 it was extracted from.


Obviously, as software improves, in the future, images processed from a cr2 or dng file will not look the same. They likely will look better.



Apr 03, 2013 at 01:46 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


Monito wrote:
You can do that and double your storage requirements, but there is no point because you can create the DNG anytime if there ever is any advantage to a DNG. (They are needed on occasion for some calibration and profiling.)

Just keep the CR2.


+1



Apr 03, 2013 at 02:09 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


Doesn't DPP already do special things with CR2 that you can't do with DNG?



Apr 03, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Michael White
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


I keep my original canon files as a backup just like negatives and convert to dng for the working copy that way I only have to track the one file and no sidecar files with all the work I've done. You need more than one copy anyway to be safe once I'm through with the final tweaks I also backup the dng plus the tif or jpg.


Apr 03, 2013 at 03:31 AM
diverhank
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


I tried to eyeball the difference between the two and could not. I learned to hate having to make sure I move the accompanying xmp files when I move the CR2, I convert everything to DNG and delete the CR2s and the blasted xmp. Now when I download the pictures I have them automatically convert to DNG.


Apr 03, 2013 at 04:05 AM
super35
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


9 replys and no one actually answered the question, instead devolving into an argument on the merits of keeping cr2's or dng's. Ya just gotta love this place. Well, the 10th one is the charm... There is no difference between dng or cr2 if you are using Adobe software. The adjustments and the results will be identical.

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I was wondering - if you processed a DNG and a CR2, would the DNG look any different at all (even in highlights or shadows in the "recovery zone")?

Any difference in colours, any difference in exposure, tones? etc...



Apr 03, 2013 at 04:42 AM
Monito
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


super35 wrote:
9 replys and no one actually answered the question,


Very early we did answer the question by showing how it is the wrong question. Please read the thread again.

Further, knowing the OP's other active thread at the top part of the forum index, there is another aspect of the OP's question (beyond the developmental issue of time) that was not asked: It seems that the OP may be interested in comparing lossily compressed DNGs to Canon's losslessly compressed CR2s as a way to reduce transmission time over a lousy internet connection. The OP did not specify the kind or degree of DNG compression he is interested in comparing to.




Apr 03, 2013 at 04:48 AM
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · DNG - different to CR2 when processed?


Monito wrote:
Very early we did answer the question by showing how it is the wrong question. Please read the thread again.

Further, knowing the OP's other active thread at the top part of the forum index, there is another aspect of the OP's question (beyond the developmental issue of time) that was not asked: It seems that the OP may be interested in comparing lossily compressed DNGs to Canon's losslessly compressed CR2s as a way to reduce transmission time over a lousy internet connection. The OP did not specify the kind or degree of DNG compression he is interested in comparing to.



Thanks.

At the time I didn't even know the option existed.. But I was genuinely interested in the answer to this question, which has been answered



Apr 03, 2013 at 07:04 AM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password