Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

Ho1972
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

It seems odd that some people who, more than likely, boost their productivity in Photoshop by using keyboard shortcuts are adamantly refusing to learn keyboard shortcuts for the new OS — not that they're really necessary. But do you use Cntrl+C, Cntrl+V to copy and paste or do you use the menu? If the former, you weren't born knowing Cntrl+C...

Also the notion that basic functions require many more clicks seems to be at odds with the facts. For example, out of the box, shutting down may require one extra click; a moderately personalized version (we all personalize, right?) doesn't even require that.

It's my opinion, and I'm not alone in this, that Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. Admittedly 7 is very good and there may not be obvious, compelling reasons to switch — but there are reasons and they are valid (security, speedier file copies, better dual monitor support, etc.). In my own case, my self-authored Photoshop benchmark runs significantly faster in Win8 than Win7 on the same hardware. I don't know if such speed ups are the norm, but I'm pretty damn happy with mine.

Bottom line, if I can wrap my 58 year old brain around Windows 8, you can too. But in reality, no one really needs to switch and MS hasn't provided enough incentive for most to want to.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:24 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

After the update a few days ago my task bar items were missing as well as the start page so I loaded windows 7 on it I had bought a oem version when I got the laptop. Took a couple days to download drivers to make everything work finally installed them all this after noon and its working great next to get another 1tb drive install as a second drive or put in a closure and work on getting osx working once that is done I might install it as the primary drive replace the second hard drive and stick one of my apple logo stickers in the center of mt lid so it would be a hp running osx. That's going to take some work but ill pick up a USB thumb drive and get it to boot and run osx tweak the drivers so everything is working then move it to a duel boot system for a while for a test then if all goes well ill be using osx by the holidays. Then ill do the same thing for my tower unit and get away from the Mac mini.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

akriegsfeld wrote:
There is an update coming out that is going to do away with the old desktop interface completely. Microsoft is pushing for that crappy "Metro" interface only. I think it is terrible personally.

That is not correct.

In fact, 8.1 will have an option to boot to the Desktop directly. Google it for yourself but I know this first hand from using the 8.1 Preview.

Personally, I am really happy with Windows 8 Pro. It's fast, stable and a breeze to get around in. I don't bother with the silly start screen at all...keyboard shortcuts make it fly!

Aug 26, 2013 at 01:58 PM
VinWeathermon

p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

I am unhappy with Win 8 because I have a the Selphy CP900 (brand new) and tons of supplies and I can't get it to print on Win 8 (driver support or some such.) I have a Macbook but printing does not work there on LIghtroom (which I wanted to do in the field) and they don't have software for the current version of Mac OS (the reason I bought another laptop with Windows.) So I have to print jpgs from a card in the printer.

I do hate the metro tiles and I am sure they are fine on a tablet, but I am sure the 8.1 update will be a godsend for people who just want the things they work with every day to function.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

the UI is a disaster but it's also horribly unreliable. Countless crashes coming back from hibernation and often times after un-hibernation, the USB ports don't work so I have to reboot. Many times when I have it hooked up to HDMI, if the cable becomes unplugged, it will not reconnect to HDMI until i reboot it. It also just decides periodically to freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time. None of this happened under windows 7. And the claims of faster boot time and/or faster execution in general I have not experienced...

Other than that it's pretty good.

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:00 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

jzucker wrote:
the UI is a disaster but it's also horribly unreliable. Countless crashes coming back from hibernation and often times after un-hibernation, the USB ports don't work so I have to reboot. Many times when I have it hooked up to HDMI, if the cable becomes unplugged, it will not reconnect to HDMI until i reboot it. It also just decides periodically to freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time. None of this happened under windows 7. And the claims of faster boot time and/or faster execution in general I have not experienced...

Other than that it's pretty good.

I had similar problems with my laptop when I put Windows 8 Pro into it, went back to the previous OS a month after using it...

With my latest desktop build I am absolutely in awe of how much faster W8 Pro is, cold-boot time in about 12 seconds, wake from sleep in 2 seconds. Zero crashes, zero problems, just a solid working environment, I couldn't be happier.

It just doesn't seem to play well with older systems, that's my take anyway...

I really don't understand the complaints about the GUI, if you don't like the Start screen or whatever it's called, just go straight to the desktop after boot. Put you most used applications in the Quick Launch area. Get familiar with the Win+X command for maintenance and quick file access. Also remember to use the Win-key and then just start typing your search for an application, control panel item etc... It takes a bit to change but the interface is a lot faster once you get used to it...

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:10 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

my system isn't an older system. It's a high end i7 based asus notebook purchased in Dec 2012.

Sep 08, 2013 at 08:53 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

Oh well, good thing you could put Win 7 back in, glad that works well for you...

Sep 08, 2013 at 08:55 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

I use four operating systems. Mac OsX on my retina and my 11" Air, my iPhone 5S and iPad gen 4. I run FreeBsd and MS Server 2012 on my Proliant server ... and sometimes play with Debian on both the 15" and the Proliant.
The Server is a text box to screw around with and would be running Win 8.1 instead of Server 2012R2 except the drivers for the raid card will not run under win 8 nor 8.1.
I have to say that I prefer OsX to any of the other OS's when I just want to get things done, rather than screw around and I LOVE FreeBsd for everything it is ... except a desktop OS. That said, I find that the criticism of the metro interface is often based on not knowing how to work with it rather than any real flaws of the OS. I started out hating Win8. It drove me nuts. Then I decided to watch some Lynda.com videos on it ...and had to admit that it was me who was flawed ...not windows 8. every thing I have read in this thread, mentioning all of what is frustrating or not possible ... is wrong. You can shut down Win8 with one click for example. So I ate a bit of humble pie ... and I have to now count myself as a bit of a fan of Win8. I now finally "get" what M$ is trying to do with it .... and as my skills have come up to par ... I have to say that it "Rocks". It is stable and faster, visibly faster on the same hardware than windows 7. What is not to like about that? I think the problem is that we are too quick to judge and always overlook our own lack of skill. Windows 8.1 is a great operating system, when one spends enough time with it and learns its ways. yeah ... I still like the elegance of OsX better ... but I am an old school Unix guy ...so I appreciate some of what it has ... that soccer moms don't get into. But Win 8? Not bad. Not bad at all. M$ has done well. Better than most of us.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.