Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

Is it just me how is finding the Windows 8 Metro interface counter intuitive and inefficient? I've tried and tried to like Metro but it works in a way that my head doesn't, I particularly dislike the duality of having to think about Metro and then think about the desktop. Metro's massive and clunky tiles seem to me a very inefficient use of my monitor space.

If Metro is the future of Windows then at long last I am going to have to seriously consider moving to Mac. Rant over but I am so disappointed about this.

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:08 AM
mpoole
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

My current laptop came with Windows 8. First thing I did was install Windows 7

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:13 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

How did you go about that, did you have to buy a new copy of Windows 7? Windows 7 was really good, wouldn't have bought a Windows 8 laptop except for an extreme work crisis which meant I needed to go out and buy a new lappy NOW!

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:18 AM
ylbmessa

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

I am using a program from Stardock - Start8 on my laptop and never use the Metro UI.

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:49 AM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

Clearly Microsoft's greatest failure to date. It's UI is an insane mess. The correct and easiest route is to install something like the START8 add-one to bring back a Windows 7 like desktop, or, get your PC from one of the many custom build houses which are not obligated by Microsoft to use Windows 8 and can give you a Windows 7 machine right from the get go.

Dave

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:24 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

Supposedly there is a "classic view" that you can use for Windows 8.

I had the free demo version and tossed it back, as it was VERY COUNTER-INTUITIVE and required several extra steps @ UI navigation. Sadly, I learned of the "classic view" after I had already tossed my free version.

davenfl wrote:
Clearly Microsoft's greatest failure to date.

The more Microsoft tries to be like a Mac, the more they suck @ being like a Mac. I'm a PC user and likely always will be. Microsoft should stick with doing what they do well, and that is being a PC. If Windows 8 is any indication of where Microsoft is trying to go ... I might as well get a real Mac. If I wanted a Mac-like experience, I'd get the one that actually understands "intuitive" rather than the one that is trying to mimic it. Win 8 has you traveling all over the darn home page to navigate to unseen areas that are supposedly intuitive for you to know they exist.

Personally, I prefer a logical one, rather than a supposedly, intuitive one based on someone else idea of what "intuitive" is. To me, logic (of hierarchies) is universal ... intuitive is subjective.

Edited on Apr 02, 2013 at 01:39 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:11 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

Its possible to "mod" it back to Win 7 look. Althought not that easy as making near 97 machine from Win 7.

Usual Microsoft Tick-Tock system, every second OS is disaster.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:15 PM
akriegsfeld
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

There is an update coming out that is going to do away with the old desktop interface completely. Microsoft is pushing for that crappy "Metro" interface only. I think it is terrible personally.

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Paratima
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

Mescalamba, above hit it on the head. Every other OS release from the big "M" makes you wonder what they're smoking in Redmond. Witness Windows ME, Vista, and now 8. I have had several of my PC maintenance customers (side business) buy new laptops with Windows 8 and after a week or two, come to me saying, "Help! Can you get me back to 7?" Sure, as long as you have a new-install disk, as in "NOT an upgrade disk", it's easy.

Windows 8 just tries to hide everything from the user, to the point where it's really difficult to get anything done. You'd think they would learn... <sigh>

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:38 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

"There is an update coming out that is going to do away with the old desktop interface completely"

If that were to be the case I would certainly move over to mac. No desktop = no customer, I am not happy trying to pretend that my PC is just an oversized phone, and that appears to me to be what Win 8 is all about. Sucktacular.

Have been a loyal MS customer, Windows 95, 2000, Vista, Windows 7. Maybe its time to change over to the competition. After all I believe I can apply to take Photoshop with me.

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ventieldopje

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

The Windows 8 "Blue" update is not going to get rid of the classic desktop interface which most of the users use all the time. There would be absolutely no pro user using Windows anymore if that were the case, they'd lose a huge deal to Apple and perhaps (hopefully) Linux.

Metro is often misunderstood and not very well marketed, it's a start menu replacement. The big mistake they made for desktop users is the "metro apps". People get confused as it's not just a start menu anymore but can also run apps!

So basically there is nothing wrong with Windows 8, I use it every day and sure it takes some getting used to as for the settings and everything but remember getting used to the new taskbar and menu in Vista? But just see the "Metro" interface as a big start screen, you can even start typing directly to start searching in your main menu.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:20 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

If you can get used to using Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts, the interface is nothing but a miracle.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:22 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

mshi wrote:
If you can get used to using Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts, the interface is nothing but a miracle.

Just like the old DOS prompt?

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:47 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

runamuck wrote:
Just like the old DOS prompt?

Not quite even though the command prompt (cmd.exe) is still there. If you use keyboard shortcuts in LR or PS, you get my idea. Your idea of using old DOS prompt can be compared to writing scripts for batch processings in LR and PS.

Apr 02, 2013 at 07:33 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

What/where are the keyboard prompts?

Apr 02, 2013 at 07:55 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

GCasey wrote:
What/where are the keyboard prompts?

google is your friend.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/120512-windows8-shortcuts-264806.html

http://blog.laptopmag.com/15-essential-windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts

and get a habit to pin your fav programs to the taskbar too.

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:00 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

mshi,

Thanks! Should have thought of that

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:47 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

To be honest I am not interested in learning keyboard shortcuts to use my operating system. That's why I pay good money, to get a properly designed GUI. If you are interested in computers for their own sake you probably find it a good use of your time learning shortcuts and prompt switches etc -good luck to you. The vast majority of users are not really that interested in the minutiae of their OS software, they just want it to work well, and quickly, out of the box.

There is a convenience element to good GUI design so that if you want to take the path of least resistance you can just start working using a new OS. Its not much to ask, seeing as previous versions of Windows have caused me about 1% of the frustration that Windows 8 has.

Rant over

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:03 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

David Baldwin wrote:
To be honest I am not interested in learning keyboard shortcuts to use my operating system. That's why I pay good money, to get a properly designed GUI. If you are interested in computers for their own sake you probably find it a good use of your time learning shortcuts and prompt switches etc -good luck to you. The vast majority of users are not really that interested in the minutiae of their OS software, they just want it to work well, and quickly, out of the box.

There is a convenience element to good GUI design so that
...Show more

All software, including operating systems, provides "power users" with shortcuts and command prompt commands. GUI is never intended as the only tool for those so-called "power users."

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone else really hate the Windows 8 interface?

iirc ... the "Windows Flag" button on my keyboard was helpful. I'd never used it before on any Windows OS (going back to 95, but, (again, iirc) it became the only thing that saved my sanity a bit as I think it launched the same as the start button would on other versions.

Edited on Apr 03, 2013 at 12:07 AM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:31 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password